Woman to Woman: The 10 Worst Mother's Day Gifts Ever
By Hamish Carpenter
It's Mother's Day, that time of year when you let Mom know how much you appreciate everything she's done for you. But sometimes those expressions of love get lost in translation, like when you somehow convince yourself one of the following gifts will result in smiles and hugs … and not the kind of blowback you haven't seen since you flunked biology.
If you're looking to rub your maternal unit the wrong way this year, go ahead and wrap one of these babies up. But let's face it: It's gonna be tough telling the guys at the office you've been grounded.
A Kitchen Appliance
This woman has spent years cramming food down your gob. A kitchen tool will seem less like a "Thank you" and more like a, "Hey, Ma! Can you whip me up another meatloaf?"
The idea of brightening up the commode with a gold-plated toilet brush or beautiful new soap dish is all well and good, but she's gonna look at it and think one thing: crap.
Unless you have a special relationship with Mom that would bring prosecution in all 50 states, this creepy notion will bring the holiday to a screaming halt … and probably lead to your needing to register with local authorities.
A Gift Certificate
"Dear Mom, I just couldn't be bothered to put any effort into thinking about what you might want, so here's this."
Your mom is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel of taking care of you. She's thinking pedis and mah-jongg -- not starting from scratch raising a brand-new helpless creature.
Fruit of the Month Club
Not exclusively a bad Mother's Day gift. This is the kind of monumentally awful gift that can ruin any occasion.
A Fancy Vacuum Cleaner
"It's time for you to take life a little easier, Ma. Use this!" Well, that might be a functionally sound concept. But for a woman who just spent half her life cleaning up after you, this idea sucks.
Lunch at Any Restaurant With Laminated Menus
While Hooter's and IHOP are time-honored institutions, they won't exactly scream "special occasion." Any screaming you hear will likely be X-rated and directed at you if you choose to take her to one of these joints.
Nothing says I really am an unsentimental, self-involved son like a brand-new set of white walls!
A Gym Membership
Your mother passes as many health clubs as you do every day. So if she hasn't signed up for anything yet, she's not looking for a reminder from you that she needs to get in shape. Stick with chocolates on her special day. You can tell her she's fat tomorrow.
- The Long Road to Gender Equality
- What Does Being an American Latina Mean?
- Get Lost in a Good Book: Spring / Summer Reading List
- 5 Mother's Day Gifts That'll Instantly Make You Mom's Favorite
- Creative Mother's Day Gift Ideas for the Seriously Simple Cook
- Get the Mother's Day You Deserve
- Are You Turning into Your Mother?
- The Secret to Feeling Amazing
- Can the Law of Attraction Change Your Life?
- The No-Crash Bikini Body Diet
- Embrace Procrastination -- and Thrive on It
- How to Make New Habits Stick
- Overcome Your Fears by Facing Them
- Reclaim Your Body After Baby!
- How New Moms Can Balance Life and Love After Baby
- 5 Ways New Moms Can Get Sleep
- Why You Need to Let Loose (Now!)
- Finding Hidden Moments for Me-time
- What is 'Having It All,' Anyway?
- Recharging Your Batteries
- 15 Things That'll Make You Smile Instantly
- Know When It's Time to Quit
- Guilty of Not Feeling Guilty
- Boost Your Confidence: Stories From Real Women
- 5 Secrets of Success That Celebrities Live By
- The 10 Worst Mother's Day Gifts Ever
- Are You Your Own Worst Enemy?
- Love Your Imperfections!
- Top 10 Ways to Stick to Your Resolutions
- Ways to Act Confident: Even if You Are Not
- Creating Your Own Journey of Discovery
- Gift Ideas From the Garden
Woman to Woman: "The 10 Worst Mother's Day Gifts Ever"