Nine Pregnancy Tips for Moms of Multiples
by Celia Shatzman
If you're expecting multiples, t there are also some extra steps you'll need to take while you're pregnant to ensure that your little ones are healthy.
Whether you're having twins, triplets, or more, keep these nine pregnancy tips in mind.
Pregnancy Tip #1: Find out if you're having fraternal or identical twins
If it's the latter, your doctor will want to keep a closer eye on their development.
Pregnancy Tip #2: Eat wisely
A healthy diet is a must to ensure a healthy birth weight, especially when you're having multiples. Load up on fruits and veggies, since your growing babies need micronutrients like folic acid, iron, and vitamins, as well as lean proteins.
Pregnancy Tip #3: Watch your weight
You may gain more weight when carrying twins as opposed to if you had a single pregnancy, but you'll still need to monitor your weight and aim for a healthy mark. Talk to your doctor about what's appropriate for your situation.
Pregnancy Tip #4: Drink up!
For moms carrying multiples, dehydration can lead to preterm labor. Aim to drink a minimum of eight glasses of water a day.
Pregnancy Tip #5: Don't skip the supplements
If your health care provider recommends or prescribes prenatal vitamins and/or supplements, be sure to take them. Many women may need extra folic acid to help prevent birth defects.
Pregnancy Tip #6: Spend time with the doctor
You'll need a good amount of monitoring throughout your pregnancy if you're carrying multiples, so be sure to stay on track with your doctor appointments.
Pregnancy Tip #7: Know your risks
The chance of conditions such as gestational diabetes and preeclampsia are higher if you're carrying multiples. Talk to your doctor about what you can do to minimize your risk.
Pregnancy Tip #8: Be ready for an early labor
Women carrying twins tend to go into labor earlier (usually around the 35th to 37th week) than those carrying a single baby. Have your overnight bag packed and ready in case you need to head to the hospital earlier than expected.
Pregnancy Tip #9: Talk to your doctor about your delivery plan
The chance of a cesarean is higher with multiples. Discuss your preferred birthing plan with your doctor, but be ready in case you need a cesarean for safety reasons.
While a multiples pregnancy may be a little trickier to navigate, just remember that more new babies means even more love and attention. All that care during pregnancy will help ensure a healthy and happy family.
- Attack Headaches & Migraines the Healthy Way
- How to Stay Healthy When Traveling
- What's New in the Fight Against Breast Cancer
- Five Solutions for Top Pregnancy Sleep Issues
- Six Pregnancy Super Foods
- Pregnancy Tips for Managing Mood Swings
- Nine Pregnancy Tips for Moms of Multiples
- Pregnancy Weight Gain Guide
- Kegel Lessons for Expectant Moms
- Insomnia When Expecting
- Stress-Free Pregnancy Tips
- Why American Women are Endangered
- Good Nutrition for a Beach-Ready Bod
- Celulitis: Top Five Myths
- Pregnancy Body Changes That Might Shock You
- 7 Painful Realities of Postpartum Recovery
- Feeling Tired After Birth? Get Relief!
- 6 Tips for Choosing Prenatal Vitamins
- The Best Pregnancy Diet: 7 Nutrients You Need
- Best Pregnancy Diet: Are You Gaining Weight the Right Way?
- Sleep During Pregnancy: 5 Reasons You're Not Getting It
- The Healthiest Pregnancy Diet
- Why You Need More Folic Acid in Your Pregnancy Diet
- Exercise During Pregnancy: Your Wellness Depends on It
- Pregnancy and Traveling: A Risk to Your Wellness?
- Birthing Classes That Improve Your Wellness Post-pregnancy
- Pregnancy by Age: Defining 'Wellness' at 20, 30, 40
- How Much Pregnancy Weight Should You Gain?
- 5 Surprising Pregnancy Symptoms
Article: Copyright © 2016
"Nine Pregnancy Tips for Moms of Multiples "