Global Drug Use
By Dyfed Loesche (Statista)
Which drugs are most popular? A look at the prevalence of drug use worldwide
Cannabis is by far the most commonly used drug worldwide, according to the latest Global Drug Survey (GDS). Cocaine and MDMA are used to a far lesser extend in comparison. The figures used here do not consider alcohol, tobacco or caffeine, which of course are also heavily used. Also, the GDS seeks out younger respondents more involved in drug use. Their overview therefore concentrates on people likely to use drugs than the general public.
The mean age of the surveyed population in the 28 countries covered was 29.1 years, while 46.7 percent of the respondents were under 25 years of age and 47.6 percent went clubbing at least every 3 months. GDS also asked more men (68 percent) than women (32 percent) for their survey.
The chart shows the prevalence of drug use worldwide in 2016 (in percent)
- Cyber Attacks Blame Game Grows Murkier
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- Childhoods, War, Marriage & Hunger
- Millions Robbed of Their Childhood
- Global Drug Use
- The World's Happiest People
- World's Most And Least Peaceful Countries
- Wait and See No Longer an Option for Disaster Response
- Populism's Call
- Who Can We Trust To Measure Poverty?
- World Ignores Displaced Africans
- The Making of the Modern World
- International Law
- Global Civil Society
- Global Political Economy
- Why the West Struggles to Understand the BRICS
- How The Global Millionaire Club Is Changing
- Where Social Media is Under Assault
- Populist Challenge and Political Judgement
- Coping With Disruptive Change
- It Can't Happen (But It Just Did)
- Stop the Presses
- Preventing Violent Extremism: A New Paradigm or Evolving Approach?
- Hints of a 21st Century Peace
World News: "Global Drug Use"