Importance of a Nation's Capital
By Niall McCarthy (Statista)
This chart shows how much a country's capital contributes to overall national GDP and the reduction in GDP per inhabitant if the capital city was removed.
Have you ever wondered just how important a capital city is to a country's economy?
New research from the Germany-based Institut der deutschen Wirtschaft Köln reveals that in Europe at least, capital cities form the beating heart of most economies. Greece and Slovakia are notable examples. If Athens and Bratislava were removed from both countries, GDP per inhabitant would drop 19.8 and 18.9 percent respectively. France without Paris would also see productivity fall 14.8 percent while the UK minus London would bring about an 11.1 percent fall in productivity per inhabitant.
Germany is an exception, however.
Even though Berlin has been described as "poor but sexy" by its former mayor, the German capital is struggling with high unemployment, poverty, debt, outdated infrastructure and an education system in need of an overhaul. If Berlin was removed from Germany, GDP per inhabitant would actually go up 0.2 percent.
- Year One of America First
- The Future of Capitalism: Technological Progress, Block Chains and Karl Marx
- If Women Ruled The World, Would It Be So Different?
- Will Liberal Democracy Survive the Century?
- Is the Liberal State Secular?
- ISIL's Defeat: It’s Over, But Not Over
- Diplomacy and the End of Foreign Policy as We Know It
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Selfies Deadlier than Sharks
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Revolt of the Plebs
- E-Diasporas: The Virtual Meets Reality
- We Live in More Peaceful Times
- World's Most And Least Competitive Countries
- The World's Most Liveable Cities
- Internet Shutdowns Increasing
- Youngest Serving State Leaders
- Where Support For Autocracy is Strongest
- Religion: More Harm Than Good
- Global Child Mortality Rates Improve
- World's Fastest High-Speed Trains
- Importance of a Nation's Capital
- Are We Winning The War Against AIDS?
- Cyber Attacks Blame Game Grows Murkier
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- Childhoods, War, Marriage & Hunger
- Millions Robbed of Their Childhood
- Global Drug Use
- The World's Happiest People
- World's Most And Least Peaceful Countries
- Wait and See No Longer an Option for Disaster Response
- Populism's Call
- Who Can We Trust To Measure Poverty?
- World Ignores Displaced Africans
- The Making of the Modern World
- International Law
- Global Civil Society
- Global Political Economy
- Why the West Struggles to Understand the BRICS
- How The Global Millionaire Club Is Changing
- Where Social Media is Under Assault