Jobs Under Threat From Automation
By Niall McCarthy (Statista)
Automatic for the People. This chart shows the share of work hours that could potentially automated by 2030 in selected countries.
Most companies are constantly striving for more efficient, lean, working processes. Increasingly, the battle to save time and resources is being fought with machines and automation. According to a new report by McKinsey Global Institute, by 2030, automation could take away 15 percent of all global work hours from human beings, leaving around 400 million workers displaced.
Of the countries which the report focuses on, employees in Japan are expected to be hit hardest by these developments, with over one quarter of work hours in 2016 having potential for automation. The story is similar in the United States. There, in McKinsey's midpoint scenario, 23 percent of work hours could be shifted away from employees. This would equate to the loss of 39 million jobs. In the 'rapid' scenario, this number increases to 73 million.
- Year One of America First
- The Future of Capitalism: Technological Progress, Block Chains and Karl Marx
- If Women Ruled The World, Would It Be So Different?
- Will Liberal Democracy Survive the Century?
- Is the Liberal State Secular?
- ISIL's Defeat: It’s Over, But Not Over
- Diplomacy and the End of Foreign Policy as We Know It
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Selfies Deadlier than Sharks
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Revolt of the Plebs
- E-Diasporas: The Virtual Meets Reality
- We Live in More Peaceful Times
- World's Most And Least Competitive Countries
- The World's Most Liveable Cities
- Internet Shutdowns Increasing
- Youngest Serving State Leaders
- Where Support For Autocracy is Strongest
- Religion: More Harm Than Good
- Global Child Mortality Rates Improve
- World's Fastest High-Speed Trains
- Importance of a Nation's Capital
- Are We Winning The War Against AIDS?
- Cyber Attacks Blame Game Grows Murkier
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- Childhoods, War, Marriage & Hunger
- Millions Robbed of Their Childhood
- Global Drug Use
- The World's Happiest People
- World's Most And Least Peaceful Countries
- Wait and See No Longer an Option for Disaster Response
- Populism's Call
- Who Can We Trust To Measure Poverty?
- World Ignores Displaced Africans
- The Making of the Modern World
- International Law
- Global Civil Society
- Global Political Economy
- Why the West Struggles to Understand the BRICS
- How The Global Millionaire Club Is Changing
- Where Social Media is Under Assault
World News: "Jobs Under Threat From Automation "