This certainly is not the best of times, nor can it be called the worst of recent times, considering the years of totalitarianism, war and cold war the world lived through in the 20th century, recently closed. But the years since 2000 have provided no auspicious start to the 21st century.
Even the American Republican right, which thought itself on top of the world when it won the congressional elections of 2010, has just concluded a convention of conservative voters in which the dominant theme has been the
This group -- the
All this concerns non-Republicans because in the 1980s and 1990s
The question now raised on both right and left in
Elsewhere in the world, what has naively been seen as spontaneous democratic progress in the Arab Middle East has been halted in
And of course, thanks to the George W. Bush administration, we observe this week the 10th anniversary of the American invasion of
To turn to the source of the Middle Eastern crisis, President
- Anarchy and Hegemony
- The End of Youth
- Immortality: Holding Back the Years
- The Age of Aging
- Feel Like retiring? Forget It!
- Half-Baked Economic Theories Continue to Direct Global Economy
- Capitalism Is Not Dying
- When are Goals Ever Truly Realized in International Affairs?
- Beyond the Post-Cold War World
- Moscow - Beijing Ties: An Axis of Necessity
- UN Arms Treaty May Succeed Despite Iran, North Korea, Syria and NRA
- Grief Without Borders
- Elimination of Poverty Possible
- New Century is Off to a Wobbly Start
- Pope Francis Ties with Jews, Muslims Could Strengthen Vatican
- Pope Francis Staunch in Conservatism and in Defense of the Poor
- Bin Laden's Influence Lives on After Him
- Dam Construction Raising Regional Tensions
- Haiti's Man-Made Hell
- The World's Struggle to Kick the Habit
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Military Interventions Rarely Fulfill Their Goals
- Why Do Societies Give Up?
- War is Like Rust
- War's Lingering Phantoms
- Lasting Peace
- Controlling Lucifer
- United States to Join Global Race for Talent -- Big Time
(C) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.