Selfies Deadlier than Sharks
By Dyfed Loesche (Statista)
Taking selfies is proving deadlier than shark attacks. This chart shows the average yearly number of deaths by selfie and shark attacks worldwide.
The film "Jaws" really gave sharks a bad reputation, especially the big white still causes a big fright. Fearing marine predators is a little irrational if you compare the shark attack death rate to how deadly a threat mankind is to itself. As our chart shows, even taking selfies is proving deadlier than shark attacks.
Like Al Pacino says in the "Devil's Advocate", "Vanity, definitely my favorite sin." A really deadly sin as it turns out. According to an international study, 73 people died in the first eight weeks of 2016 alone. According to the University of Florida in 2016 there were only four fatalities after unprovoked shark attacks worldwide.
- Year One of America First
- The Future of Capitalism: Technological Progress, Block Chains and Karl Marx
- If Women Ruled The World, Would It Be So Different?
- Will Liberal Democracy Survive the Century?
- Is the Liberal State Secular?
- ISIL's Defeat: It’s Over, But Not Over
- Diplomacy and the End of Foreign Policy as We Know It
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Selfies Deadlier than Sharks
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Revolt of the Plebs
- E-Diasporas: The Virtual Meets Reality
- We Live in More Peaceful Times
- World's Most And Least Competitive Countries
- The World's Most Liveable Cities
- Internet Shutdowns Increasing
- Youngest Serving State Leaders
- Where Support For Autocracy is Strongest
- Religion: More Harm Than Good
- Global Child Mortality Rates Improve
- World's Fastest High-Speed Trains
- Importance of a Nation's Capital
- Are We Winning The War Against AIDS?
- Cyber Attacks Blame Game Grows Murkier
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- Childhoods, War, Marriage & Hunger
- Millions Robbed of Their Childhood
- Global Drug Use
- The World's Happiest People
- World's Most And Least Peaceful Countries
- Wait and See No Longer an Option for Disaster Response
- Populism's Call
- Who Can We Trust To Measure Poverty?
- World Ignores Displaced Africans
- The Making of the Modern World
- International Law
- Global Civil Society
- Global Political Economy
- Why the West Struggles to Understand the BRICS
- How The Global Millionaire Club Is Changing
- Where Social Media is Under Assault
World News: "Selfies Deadlier than Sharks "