Where Support For Autocracy is Strongest
By Niall McCarthy (Statista)
This chart shows responses to 'is a system where a strong leader can make decisions without interference good or bad?'
According to a Pew Research Center survey, rule by strong leader is an unpopular concept in most countries.
That is especially true in Europe and particularly in Germany where autocratic rule has had devastating consequences in the past. Currently, 93 percent of people in Germany are against a system where a strong leader can make decisions without interference from parliament or the courts.
Elsewhere in Europe, there are some places where support does rise; in the UK and Italy, over a quarter of people think autocracy is a good type of governance. In Russia, support for a strong leader rises to 48 percent, not too surprising considering people there still prefer Stalin to Gorbachev.
In Asia, rule by strong leader is considered a good thing by 55 percent of respondents in India, along with 52 percent in Indonesia. 42 percent of Vietnamese people would also give autocratic rule the green light while in Japan, a surprisingly high 32 percent share of respondents also say it's a good thing. In the United States, some people are keen on rule by strong leader with the research finding that 22 percent consider it a good thing.
- Year One of America First
- The Future of Capitalism: Technological Progress, Block Chains and Karl Marx
- If Women Ruled The World, Would It Be So Different?
- Will Liberal Democracy Survive the Century?
- Is the Liberal State Secular?
- ISIL's Defeat: It’s Over, But Not Over
- Diplomacy and the End of Foreign Policy as We Know It
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Selfies Deadlier than Sharks
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Revolt of the Plebs
- E-Diasporas: The Virtual Meets Reality
- We Live in More Peaceful Times
- World's Most And Least Competitive Countries
- The World's Most Liveable Cities
- Internet Shutdowns Increasing
- Youngest Serving State Leaders
- Where Support For Autocracy is Strongest
- Religion: More Harm Than Good
- Global Child Mortality Rates Improve
- World's Fastest High-Speed Trains
- Importance of a Nation's Capital
- Are We Winning The War Against AIDS?
- Cyber Attacks Blame Game Grows Murkier
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- Childhoods, War, Marriage & Hunger
- Millions Robbed of Their Childhood
- Global Drug Use
- The World's Happiest People
- World's Most And Least Peaceful Countries
- Wait and See No Longer an Option for Disaster Response
- Populism's Call
- Who Can We Trust To Measure Poverty?
- World Ignores Displaced Africans
- The Making of the Modern World
- International Law
- Global Civil Society
- Global Political Economy
- Why the West Struggles to Understand the BRICS
- How The Global Millionaire Club Is Changing
- Where Social Media is Under Assault