Youngest Serving State Leaders
By Niall McCarthy (Statista)
Austria's Sebastian Kurz is set to become the world's youngest leader. This chart shows the youngest serving state leaders by country and date of birth.
Sebastian Kurz, the leader of the conservative Austrian People's Party (ÖVP), is on track to become the country's chancellor. According to projections, the 31 year-old who Austrian tabloids have dubbed Wunderwuzzi or "wonderkid" and the ÖVP have collected over 31 percent of the vote. In the wake of Europe's refugee crisis, Kurz moved his party to the right and he could seek an alliance with the far-right and anti-immigration Freedom Party.
Aside from bringing about the biggest change in Austrian politics in years, Kurz's victory is also notable for another reason. He is set to become the world's youngest leader, displacing one of San Marino's two heads of state, called the Captains Regent. Kim Jong-un is thought to be 34 years-old and the world's third-youngest leader, though North and South Korea dispute his exact date of birth.
- Year One of America First
- The Future of Capitalism: Technological Progress, Block Chains and Karl Marx
- If Women Ruled The World, Would It Be So Different?
- Will Liberal Democracy Survive the Century?
- Is the Liberal State Secular?
- ISIL's Defeat: It’s Over, But Not Over
- Diplomacy and the End of Foreign Policy as We Know It
- The Thucydides Trap: A Distorted Compass
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Is Life Better Or Worse Than 50 Years Ago?
- Jobs Under Threat From Automation
- Selfies Deadlier than Sharks
- US and British Foreign Policy from One Regime Change to Another
- Revolt of the Plebs
- E-Diasporas: The Virtual Meets Reality
- We Live in More Peaceful Times
- World's Most And Least Competitive Countries
- The World's Most Liveable Cities
- Internet Shutdowns Increasing
- Youngest Serving State Leaders
- Where Support For Autocracy is Strongest
- Religion: More Harm Than Good
- Global Child Mortality Rates Improve
- World's Fastest High-Speed Trains
- Importance of a Nation's Capital
- Are We Winning The War Against AIDS?
- Cyber Attacks Blame Game Grows Murkier
- Instability, Quagmire, & Peace
- Childhoods, War, Marriage & Hunger
- Millions Robbed of Their Childhood
- Global Drug Use
- The World's Happiest People
- World's Most And Least Peaceful Countries
- Wait and See No Longer an Option for Disaster Response
- Populism's Call
- Who Can We Trust To Measure Poverty?
- World Ignores Displaced Africans
- The Making of the Modern World
- International Law
- Global Civil Society
- Global Political Economy
- Why the West Struggles to Understand the BRICS
- How The Global Millionaire Club Is Changing
- Where Social Media is Under Assault