Cities Where Coffee Costs the Most
by Emily von Hoffmann
CareerTrends explored the relative cost of a simple luxury that most view as a morning necessity -- a cup of coffee.
When pursuing a job or a graduate program in a new location, it's often the accumulation of the small daily purchases that makes the cost of living bearable or not. While rent is of course the most substantial expense, the cost of a modest existence is also closely tied to the price of gas, food and drink around town.
To help you imagine how it feels to be an urbanite in various locales around the country, CareerTrends, part of the Graphiq network, explored the relative cost of a simple luxury that most view as a morning necessity -- a cup of coffee.
Using data from The Council For Community and Economic Research's Cost of Living Index, we found the 50 places where coffee costs the most. The ranking is determined by the price in each location of a 11.5 oz can of Maxwell House, Hills Brothers or Folgers.
The above visualization reveals that expensive coffee is quite common on the west coast. California tops the state leaderboard with eight of the top 50 cities, and Washington -- where Starbucks was founded and is based -- follows with seven of the top 50.
The most expensive nationwide is Honolulu, where a cup of coffee costs an average of $7.56. The costs needed to transport coffee to Hawaii is clearly passed onto the consumers in paradise. Coffee in Honolulu out-prices even the average San Francisco can by $1.50, by far the largest leap between adjacent entries on our list.
If you're vacationing in Honolulu, maybe it's best to just take your time getting out of bed and forego that morning boost of caffeine.
- Who Can We Trust To Measure Poverty?
- Minimum Wage Industries
- The iPhone Price Index
- Pros & Cons of the Gig Economy
- Calling Working People of All Colors
- Exploding Inequality is Killing Democracy
- Reducing Inequality in the Trump Era
- Obama's Legacy: Growth, Debt & Employment
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Global Political Economy
- How The Global Millionaire Club Is Changing
- Plenty of Dough in Online Food Delivery
- The Most Expensive Metro Areas to Live In
- Cities With the Lowest Gas Prices
- The Cost of a Beer: Then and Now
- The Cost of a Cup of Coffee: Then and Now
- Cities Where Coffee Costs the Most
- America's Decreasing Fertility Rate Could Spell Economic Trouble
- The Least Affordable Places for Single Parents
- How the Cost of a Movie Ticket Has Changed Over Time
- The Cost of a Trip to the Emergency Room Since 1940
- Gagging on the Gig Economy
- How Falling Oil Prices Have Changed the Economy
- The Economics of Brexit
- Making China Great Again
- States with the Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Oil's Downfall Aided by Rise of Fracking
- Counties Where Medicare Spends the Most per Patient
- Inequality Will Get Worse Until There's a Revolution
- States with the Highest Unemployment Rates
- The Richest Banks
- Cost Of a Car Since 1967
- Cost of Car Insurance In Every State
- The Most Fuel Efficient Cars
- Zombie Ideas and the Death of Ethics in Economics
- What Really Caused the Eurozone Crisis?
- Is GDP Over?
- Pay Fair or Pay Up
Economy: "Cities Where Coffee Costs the Most"