Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
by Niall McCarthy
According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, California has the 6th largest economy in the world. Its economic output reached $2.46 trillion last year, surpassing that of France.
Weeks have passed since the presidential election and many people are struggling to come to terms with the result. Nowhere is this more true than in the state of California where as well as taking to the streets, people also started an online campaign for Calexit. A play on Brexit, #Calexit is still trending on Twtter.
Though the vast majority of people aren't taking the campaign too seriously, an independent California would boast enormous economic clout.
According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, California has the 6th largest economy in the world. Its economic output reached $2.46 trillion last year, surpassing that of France. Only the United States, China, Japan, Germany and the United Kingdom are able to boast a higher GDP than the Golden State.
Even though 2016 has been packed with crazy and unlikely events, most observers agree that an independent California will never see the light of day. The last time a state seceded was in the 1860s, resulting in the Civil War.
The chart above shows the estimated GDP in countries/territories.
- The Global Economy in 2018
- The Missing Ingredients of Growth
- Why The Trade Balance (Still) Matters
- The Phillips Curve
- NAFTA's Jobs Myth
- Will Powell Be an Accidental Hawk?
- The States With The Most People In Debt
- The Limited Effects of Tax Cuts on the Economy
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Standard of Living Perceptions at 10 Year High
- Who Can We Trust To Measure Poverty?
- Minimum Wage Industries
- The iPhone Price Index
- Pros & Cons of the Gig Economy
- Calling Working People of All Colors
- Exploding Inequality is Killing Democracy
- Reducing Inequality in the Trump Era
- Obama's Legacy: Growth, Debt & Employment
- Only 5 Countries Have A Bigger GDP Than California
- Global Political Economy
- How The Global Millionaire Club Is Changing
- Plenty of Dough in Online Food Delivery
- The Most Expensive Metro Areas to Live In
- Cities With the Lowest Gas Prices
- The Cost of a Beer: Then and Now
- The Cost of a Cup of Coffee: Then and Now
- Cities Where Coffee Costs the Most
- America's Decreasing Fertility Rate Could Spell Economic Trouble
- The Least Affordable Places for Single Parents
- How the Cost of a Movie Ticket Has Changed Over Time
- The Cost of a Trip to the Emergency Room Since 1940
- Gagging on the Gig Economy
- How Falling Oil Prices Have Changed the Economy
- The Economics of Brexit
- Making China Great Again
- States with the Lowest Unemployment Rates
- Oil's Downfall Aided by Rise of Fracking
- Counties Where Medicare Spends the Most per Patient
- Inequality Will Get Worse Until There's a Revolution
- States with the Highest Unemployment Rates
- The Richest Banks
- Cost Of a Car Since 1967
- Cost of Car Insurance In Every State
- The Most Fuel Efficient Cars
- Zombie Ideas and the Death of Ethics in Economics
- What Really Caused the Eurozone Crisis?
- Is GDP Over?
- Pay Fair or Pay Up