(This classic column was originally published
One regular ticket for the Super Bowl costs about
I have been to all but two Super Bowl games since 1967, and this year may be my last. Going to the game should be a good experience for a football fan but it's not. Everything about going to the game is unpleasant. The game of football was the last thing the people at the
Last year, I stayed at the
There were people in red vests who'd been assigned to help strangers find their way around the maze, but they appeared to have been shipped in from Toledo. They had no answers to such basic questions as, "Where is the newsstand?" "Which floor is the newsroom on?" or "Where are the buses to the stadium?"
I arrived at
The half-time extravaganza took 43 minutes. I wasn't interested in watching the half-time show, so I went out back to get some
I didn't want to miss the second half kickoff so, after 20 minutes, I went back to my seat. The half-time show wasn't over. I was shocked to find it hadn't even started yet. Stagehands were still dragging large pieces of the stage into place on the field. Jagger and his entourage finally came out and performed for about 12 minutes with an inadequate sound system, then workers started the long process of breaking down the stage and dragging the pieces back where they came from.
The blaring from the loud speakers was unremitting throughout the game. During any break in the action -- even between plays -- the huge screens at either end of the field showed one highlight after another from previous games. No one in the stadium had time to savor the action, anticipate the next play, or exchange a comment with someone sitting nearby. Noise was the dominant element in the stadium.
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- I'm Sweating It
- The TV Remote is Harvard's Answer to Birth Control
- When Selecting Wine, Choose Your Words Carefully
- Ray Lewis, Your Seat at The Kids Table is Ready
- Let's Name the Lottery Losers
- Snow Memories Warm the Heart
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- It Should Have Been Super
- Flu Sufferers, Your Facebook Posts are Making Me Sick
- Where Are All The Young Nudes?
- It's Your Cellphone That Makes You Fat!
- Things I Love to Hate
- Warm Coats and Inaugural Memories
- Searching For Life, Any Life, in Rural New Mexico
- Attention Sports Parents! In Cyberspace, No One Can Hear You Scream
- There's No Joy in Junking Your Christmas Tree
- Food for Holiday Thoughts
- White House Tweets That Never Were
- Warning: Antiques are Addictive
- An 'F' is a very 'Nobel' grade
- When You Can't Catch a Break
- The Junk Building Boom
- Vive La French Food
- Is It Music or Noise?
- 'Here Comes Donald Boo Hoo' and Other Post-Election Reality Shows
- Is The Battery Half Full or Half Empty?
Copyright © 2013 Tribune Media Services