How to Help Keep an Aging Cat Healthy
According to the American Association of Feline Practitioners, the last three life stages for cats are classified as mature (7-10 years old), senior (11-14 years) and geriatric (15 years and older). Once your cat reaches these stages, it is necessary to make certain changes to your pet's diet and lifestyle.
Beyond your cat's calendar age, there are other signs that it is aging.
"You can observe changes in behavior, appetite, activity level and litter box habits," says Dr. Jane Brunt, veterinarian, founder of Cat Hospital at Towson and executive director of CATalyst Council.
Older cats are prone to specific diseases that can present somewhat similar symptoms. "Kidney disease is very common, and one sign is increased urination, which is also a sign of diabetes and thyroid disease," says Brunt. "Knowing what's normal for cats -- and for your cat in particular -- will clue you in to problems associated with aging cats when any change is noticed."
Older cats can benefit from foods that are specially formulated for seniors. "Make sure your cat is eating the right food for its age, lifestyle and health status," says Brunt. "Water and a balanced protein, vitamin, mineral and carbohydrate ratio in your cat's diet are best for problems your cat may have, even if the signs aren't readily apparent. With any diet change, it is important to check with your veterinarian."
Lastly, don't forget your cat's teeth. "Aging cats can develop periodontal disease, which can lead to serious health problems like pain and infection that can spread to other parts of the body," says Brunt. "Preventing oral disease or treating it in early stages will help keep them healthier and pain-free."
If your senior cat doesn't have any serious health conditions, twice-yearly visits to the veterinarian are recommended for a thorough physical examination. This will allow your cat to be in the best health as it celebrates its senior years.
Recent Pet Articles
- The Right Way to Handle Puppy Behavior Issues
- The Silken Windhound: A Low-maintenance Beauty
- Is Your Puppy Ready for Sports?
- Dog-friendly Spring-cleaning: A How-to Guide
- Dog Training Partner
- How to Help Keep an Aging Cat Healthy
- Do Bored Cats Sleep More?
- The Agile Cat
- Cat Athletes With Summer Olympics Talents
- Why Cats Have Whiskers
- 5 Ways to Save on Pet Costs
- 10 Questions a Dog Breeder Wants to Ask You
- Puppy Socialization: A Trainer's Top Tips
- The Real Story Behind Dog Odors
- Apps for Dogs
- Easy Ways to Reduce Pet Allergens in Your Home
- Benefits of Owning a Senior Dog
- What Makes a Dog Yawn?
- 10 Ways to Keep Your Dog Happy This Spring
- Are You Protecting Your Dog's Health?
- Does Breeding Impact Dog Behavior?
- Dog Treadmills: Safe or Hazardous?
- The Irish Setter: Fun Wears a Red Coat
- How to Read Your Dog
- Games to Download for Your Cat
- Is It Too Late to Train Your Senior Cat?
- How Cats Show Their Happiness
- Natural Ways to Eliminate Litter Box Odor
- How to Help Keep an Aging Cat Healthy
- Is a Toy Dog Breed Your Best Match?
- Introducing Your Older Dog to Your New Puppy
- True Stories of Presidential Dogs
- Off the Beaten Career Path With Dogs
- Best Sleep Position for Dogs
- Keep Your Dog Safe on Night Walks
- How to Exercise Your Cat
- Why Your Cat Acts Stressed and Anxious
- Hidden Causes of Cat Obesity
- Lower Your Stress with a Cat
- The Cat Connection to Dating and Romance
- Make Your Senior Dog Feel at Home
- Top 5 Ways to Improve Life for Your Senior Dog
- Healthy Nutrition for Your Senior Dog
- How to Care for Your Arthritic Dog
- How to Introduce Your Puppy to Your Cat
- Tibetan Spaniels: The Dog for Cat People
- How You and Your Dog Can Go Green
- Dieting With My Dog
- Dog Fitness Centers
- Running With Your Dog During Cooler Weather
- Take Care of Your Dog's Hot Spots
- How to Introduce a New Pet to Your Old Pet
- Should You Clothe Your Cat?
- Cat Sleep Routines
- Can You Give Your Cat a Bath?
- Healthy Nutrition for Your Senior Cat
- Top 3 Apps for Cats
- Breed Match
- Doga: Yoga Your Dog Will Love
- Groom Your Dog Like a Pro
- Puppy, Get That out of Your Mouth!
- Terminate Stinky Dog Breath
- The Schipperke: Escape Artist Extraordinaire
- Help Your Dog Cope With Holiday Guests
- Coping With the Loss of a Dog
- Cat Breeds for Dog Lovers
- Teach Your Dog to Enjoy Your Garden Without Destroying It
- How to Play Tug-of-war With Dogs
- Size up Your Puppy's Food
- What's Not to Love About Yorkies?
- What to Ask a Dog Breeder
- Train Your Aggressive, Biting Kitten
- Can Cats Find Their Way Home?
- Caring for Your Arthritic Cat
- Keep Your Cat Calm During Storms
- Top 5 Ways to Improve Life for Your Senior Cat
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.