Understanding Cat Purring
You cat's purr is the tool that it uses to communicate with you.
It may purr for many different reasons, but all of them are to get your attention so you know how your cat is feeling.
"Cats purr when you pet them, when they eat and even when they don't feel well," says author Jeanne Adlon, who is also a professional cat sitter. "They also purr when they are happy and content. Cats can be different and varied, just like people."
There are different varieties of purrs that your cat can make. Says Adlon: "In addition to a normal purr when you're stroking your cat, there's the silent purr, when you feel the vibration of the purr as you pet the cat's body but may not hear it. Then, there's the loud purr, which you can hear sometimes from across the room. Loud purrs seem to come from a cat that is simply content on its own."
Purrs are not the only sounds that help your cat communicate with you.
If your cat is frightened or upset, it can hiss, which acts as a warning. The other sound that we all know is a meow, which means your cat is hungry or wants attention. "When cats play together, they also often meow in friendship," says Adlon.
Recent Pet Articles
- How to Stop Inappropriate Dog-sniffing
- Does Your Dog Need a Massage?
- Canine Healers: Visiting With a Therapy Dog
- Breed Rescue Groups: Saving Dogs in Need of Homes
- Take a Day Trip With Your Dog
- How to Manage Your Dog's Health Care
- Top 10 Dog Behavior Problems
- How to Throw a Dog Pajama Party
- Special Food Choices for Your Senior Dog
- Top 5 New Cat Products
- How to Manage Your Cat's Health Care
- Facial Profiling of Cats
- Understanding Cat Purring
- Special Food Choices for Your Senior Cat
- How Do Cats Jump?
- How to Avoid Chaos at Multiple-dog Feedings
- The Poodle: More Than Just a Pretty Dog
- Is a Great Dane the Dog Breed for You?
- Send Your Kid to Dog Training Camp
- Does Your Dog Eat Too Fast?
- Heroic Best Friends: On the Beat With a Police K-9
- Top 5 New Dog Products
- Elite Dog Athletes
- Summer Activities for Dogs
- Dog Tags Meet Technology
- The Best Meat Meal for Your Dog
- Do Dogs Get Revenge on Their Owners?
- Cut Canine Costs Today
- Cats in the Wedding
- Protect Your Cat From Houseplants
- How to Train Your Athletic Cat
- How to Foster a Cat
- The Lowdown on Low pH in Cat Food
- Easy Exercises for Your Cat
- Does Cat Behavior Change With the Seasons?
- Is Your Dog Ready for Agility?
- When Should You Tell Your Dog 'No'?
- How to Plan a First-class Puppy Playgroup
- Dog Lovers: You Too Can Have a Garden!
- Are Tennis Balls Safe for Your Dog?
- 4 Simple Steps to Stop Dog Jumping
- Minimize the Shedding: Essential Springtime Dog-grooming Tips
- Grooming Curly-haired Dogs
- Why Your Dog Needs Vaccinations
- Old Wives' Tales About Dogs: Dispelled
- New Supplement Can Help Your Dog's Digestion
- What Snoring Says About Your Dog's Health
- The Dog Olympics
- Stop Cat Bullying
- Turn Your Cat Into a Social Media Star
- Best Books for Cat Lovers
- Improve Your Senior Cat's Eating Behavior
- Find Your Perfect Kitten
- Don't Declaw Your Cat: Furniture-saving Tips and Tricks
- Common Eye Problems in Cats
- Cat Displacement Behavior
- Luxury Hotels for Cats
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.