Best Sleep Position for Dogs
Dogs, like humans, sleep in all sorts of positions.
Some snooze on their sides. Others sleep with their tummies on the ground and their heads faced down. Still others, like yours, prefer the stomach-up position.
Anecdotally, and by my observations of dogs that do this, many choose to expose their stomachs to cool down. Dogs sweat through the pads on their paws, so exposing the stomach, which is generally less covered with fur and with more skin exposed, can provide a rapid, comfy cool-down when temps climb.
But there's another reason why dogs sleep in this position, and it is very good news for owners like you. According to Wendy Nan Rees and Kristen Hampshire, authors of the Dog Lover's Daily Companion, dogs sleep back-to-back when they are bonding. It's a submissive position, so each is telling the other that they have trust and goodwill. Sometimes the alpha dog will snooze in a slightly higher position, just to make sure that status within the pack is maintained.
When your dog sleeps in a stomach-up position near or next to you, he is then demonstrating how much he trusts you. Wolves in the wild never assume this sleeping pose, simply because it is too vulnerable and dangerous. Your dog must have sweet dreams, since it is in the primo position for ultimate comfort and sense of security.
Recent Pet Articles
- Is a Toy Dog Breed Your Best Match?
- Introducing Your Older Dog to Your New Puppy
- True Stories of Presidential Dogs
- Off the Beaten Career Path With Dogs
- Best Sleep Position for Dogs
- Keep Your Dog Safe on Night Walks
- How to Exercise Your Cat
- Why Your Cat Acts Stressed and Anxious
- Hidden Causes of Cat Obesity
- Lower Your Stress with a Cat
- The Cat Connection to Dating and Romance
- Make Your Senior Dog Feel at Home
- Top 5 Ways to Improve Life for Your Senior Dog
- Healthy Nutrition for Your Senior Dog
- How to Care for Your Arthritic Dog
- How to Introduce Your Puppy to Your Cat
- Tibetan Spaniels: The Dog for Cat People
- How You and Your Dog Can Go Green
- Dieting With My Dog
- Dog Fitness Centers
- Running With Your Dog During Cooler Weather
- Take Care of Your Dog's Hot Spots
- How to Introduce a New Pet to Your Old Pet
- Should You Clothe Your Cat?
- Cat Sleep Routines
- Can You Give Your Cat a Bath?
- Healthy Nutrition for Your Senior Cat
- Top 3 Apps for Cats
- Breed Match
- Doga: Yoga Your Dog Will Love
- Groom Your Dog Like a Pro
- Puppy, Get That out of Your Mouth!
- Terminate Stinky Dog Breath
- The Schipperke: Escape Artist Extraordinaire
- Help Your Dog Cope With Holiday Guests
- Coping With the Loss of a Dog
- Cat Breeds for Dog Lovers
- Teach Your Dog to Enjoy Your Garden Without Destroying It
- How to Play Tug-of-war With Dogs
- Size up Your Puppy's Food
- What's Not to Love About Yorkies?
- What to Ask a Dog Breeder
- Train Your Aggressive, Biting Kitten
- Can Cats Find Their Way Home?
- Caring for Your Arthritic Cat
- Keep Your Cat Calm During Storms
- Top 5 Ways to Improve Life for Your Senior Cat
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.