Keep Your Dog Cool This Summer
Dr. Jessica Vogelsang
With summer temperatures soaring, it's a good time to ensure your dog is keeping safe and cool. Heat stroke is one of the leading causes of veterinary emergency room visits for dogs during the summer. Here's how you can avoid any of those dreaded trips.
Dogs should always have a source of shade and water when they are outside. If it's uncomfortably warm for you, assume it is the same for your pet. Short-nosed breeds, like bulldogs and pugs, are especially susceptible to heat-related illness. Owners of these dogs therefore need to be extra vigilant on those warm days.
There are lots of great products on the market to help dogs beat the heat. Here are some of the best:
A simple way to help your dog feel frosty, this bandana uses cold water to provide a comfortable, cooling sensation.
This cute tray comes with four flavors of low-calorie treat mixes that you combine with water and then freeze. After the ice cubes form, your pet can enjoy frozen cheddar treats.
Handi-Drink Dog Bottle
Some dogs refuse to drink from a water bottle, making warm-day walks a challenge. This clever design features the convenience of a bottle with the usability of a dog bowl, so no matter where you go, your pooch can stay hydrated.
Water Dog. This ingenious device turns any outdoor faucet into an automatic drinking fountain, ensuring your dog always has a ready supply of cold water in the yard.
Hydration and shade are the keys to beating the heat this summer. Take care of those and you can enjoy the weather with your furry pal.
Dr. Jessica Voselsang is a small animal veterinarian and pet aficionado from San Diego. When she's not at work or with her family of two- or four-legged creatures, you can find her blogging about life with pets at PawCurious.com
Availale at Amazon.com:
Recent Pet Articles
- How to Keep Your Dog Cool
- Take Your Dog to a Ball Game
- What to Expect From Your Puppy
- Keep Your Dog Cool This Summer
- Protect Your Dog From a Deadly Summer Virus
- Summer Cat Care
- How to Keep Your Cat Properly Hydrated
- The Dangers and Risks for Outdoor Cats
- Animals Treasure Their Friends Too
- Backyard Dog Training Fun
- Train Your Dog to Go Fetch
- Choosing the Right Breed of Puppy
- Do's and Don'ts of Socializing Your Puppy
- How to Transition From Puppy Food to Adult Food
- Is Your Dog at Risk for Sunburn?
- Picking Safe Puppy Toys
- Can Your Cat Save Your Life?
- Essential Summer Safety Tips for Cats
- Organizations That Feed Cats When Owners Can't
- Gathering Information for Your Dog Sitter
- Organizations That Feed Dogs When Owners Can't
- Hope is Rising in the Fight Against FIP
- 5 Great Cat Twitter Accounts to Follow
- 5 Great Dog Twitter Accounts to Follow
- The Right Diet for Your Athletic Dog
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Fireworks Are Fun For Humans, But Can Terrorize Pets
- Go Green With Your Cat
- Mother's Milk Influences Kitten Food
- Take Great Photos of Your Cat
- Take Great Photos of Your Dog
- 9 Key Ingredients That Nourish Growing Puppies
- Understanding Your Dog's Mealtime Behavior
- Which Flea or Tick Products Should You Buy? Well, It Depends
- Do Cats Really Prefer Women?
- Business Management the Dog Way
- Train Your Dog Properly
- Big Fun for Little Dogs
- Create a Dog-friendly Backyard
- Why You Should Adopt a Senior Dog
- Canine Heroes
- The Best Cat Beds
- Bringing up Baby With a Dog
- Can You Recognize Feline Diabetes?
- Do Cats Fake Sleep?
- Is Your Dog Overweight?
- Hold Your Cat Correctly
- How to Manage a Multi-cat Household
- Pregnant Cat Care
- I Found a Stray Cat. Now What?
- Measure Your Cat's Intelligence
- Does Your Dog Food Meet AAFCO Standards?
- The Best Time of Day to Walk Your Dog
- Washington DC: Travel to a Dog-friendly City
- Letting Your Cat Wander Could Be a Death Sentence
- Girl Scouts Are a Cat's Best Friend
- Litter Box Training for Your Cat
- Pregnancy, Babies and Cats
- Dog Scouts of America Rewards Canines
- Legendary Dog Trainer Chronicles Her Pioneering Work
- Can Social Media Save You Money on Your Dog?
- Who Works at Your Dog's Veterinary Office?
- Do Purebred Cats Require More Expensive Care?
- Who Works at Your Cat's Veterinary Office?
- Dogs As Well As Other Pets Can Have Compulsive Disorders
- How to Select Dog Food
- What Your Dogs Need for Dog Dental Health
- How to Select Cat Food
- How Your Cat's Diet Affects Its Dental Health
- Fight the Urge to Get Your Own Live Easter Bunny
- My Cat Has No Table Manners
- How Do You Know You're Ready to Get a Dog?
- One Man's Mission to Save and Protect Animals
- Researchers Making Progress in Treatment of FIP
- Can Cats Have Spiritual Experiences?
- Cat Adoption Tips
- Can Dogs Have Spiritual Experiences?
- Persians Still Reign As America's Most Popular Cats
- 10 Great Places for Dogs and Dog Lovers
- Tips for Car Travel With Your Cat
- Why Healthy Cats Sometimes Act Sick
- Dog Games for Rainy Days
- Fight Dog Cancer
- New Pet Books Take a Scientific Approach
- Benefits of DHA for Your Growing Kitten
- Creative Cat-hair Removers
- Save Money on Your Dog's Medicine
- How to Litter-box Train Your Cat
- Videos Help Spread Spay / Neuter Message
- Cat Food Essential: Antioxidants
- Cat Love and Friendship
- Protect Your Cat's Teeth From Disease
- The Hottest New Cat Products
- Dog Food Essential: Antioxidants
- Personal Assistants for Dogs?
- Protect Your Dog's Teeth From Disease
- Cat Food Ingredients for Good Health
- Dog Food Ingredients for Good Health
- Save Money on Winter Dog-grooming
- How to Prepare Your Dog for Playgroup
- Protect Your Pets From Winter Hazards
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.