Independent Ladies Pick Obama
Brian William Greene
Some very good news for President Obama recently out of a new USA Today/Gallup poll: Independent voters in 12 key swing states prefer him to
The poll surveyed independent voters in toss up states such as
That's a big shift from late last year when Gallup first conducted its Swing States poll. That survey found Romney beating Obama by eight points. The president closed that gap in January and has been steadily building his lead ever since.
One of the most striking features of the poll shows
Romney's recent promise to "end Planned Parenthood" seems to be a likely factor in his sliding poll numbers among younger women. Of those women polled who said they knew Romney's stance on contraception, two out of three of them disagreed with it. Those same women were divided evenly over Obama's view of the issue.
As Gallup notes, if Romney wants to win swing states in November, he will have to look past his core group of voters and make a play for the independent female vote since the numbers appear to show they are the greatest driving force behind his recent swing state slide.
Read the latest political news.
- How Everyone Else Pays for Big Business's Tax Breaks
- No Easy Solutions for Big Money in Politics
- GOP: That Great Enemy of Reason
- GOP's Presidential Plans in Peril if Economy Keeps Improving
- Mitt Romney's Woman Woes
- Can Republicans Regain Women Voters?
- Independent Ladies Pick Obama
- Republicans Can Close the 'Gender Gap' With the Economy
- Free The Markets, Mitt Romney
- Obama and Romney Struggling With Working Class Voters
- Mitt Romney Turns Attention to Contrasts With President Obama
- The Mitt Romney Veepstakes Begin
- Tool Or Hero: What Role Will Marco Rubio Play?
- Paul Ryan: Chairman of the Con Man Committee
- Paul Ryan's Medicare Hot Air
- Grand Old Pedagogy
- For Government: No Limits
- Parties Begin Staking Out Ground For a Budget Deal
- Rich Freeloaders
- Obama Will Not Stand Up for His Party's Politics
- How the Rich Welch on Retirement Taxes
- Invoking Fake Job Creators to Cut Taxes on the Rich
- Down and Out on Wall Street
- Enemies of the People
- The 99 Percent Spring
- The Most Lopsided Economic Recovery On Record
- Massachusetts Health Care Reform from the Front Lines
- Health Care Jujitsu
- Freedom or Fairness in 2012?
- Obama Energy Policy: Very Few of the Above
- Faith-Based Energy Policy
- Obama Unleashed
- Five Economic Mistakes Obama is Making
- Better Public Schools Require a Stronger Safety Net
- Catching up to the Local Food Revolution
- Taxation without Representation
- Partisanship Bickering Hangs Over Immigration Hearing
- Women Agree With the GOP on Birth Control
- Has Obama Gone Too Far in His Rhetoric About the Supreme Court?
- The Second Oil Revolution
- An America in Decline
- Romney's Russia Remarks and the Dangers of Dumbed Down
- Volatile Times, Uncertain Futures
- The Crisis in Public Morality
- Where's The Hope?
- Rising Economic Tide Lifts Obama's Fortunes
- Politics: A Never-Ending Game of 'Hot Potato'
- Why Older Citizens are More Likely to Vote
- Ryan's Budget Plan Could Cause Problems Within Both Parties
- Re-election Could Put Obama in Top 4 All-Time
Independent Ladies Pick Obama | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services