A Letter to Women Voters
An open letter to women voters:
Ladies, I write to you because this is our election. Both President
Just as with every other relationship in our lives -- husbands, partners, friends, co-workers -- trust is an essential element. Trusting those around us gives us confidence that we have a firm grasp on the world we inhabit. So, too, in our leaders. If we can't trust them, we won't know what world they'll build. It is this test that
Like an overeager suitor, Romney morphs into whatever is desired at the moment. No doubt you've known a guy who claims to be into you when he wants something. Romney is that guy. He's proved it over his entire political career, as a liberal when challenging Sen.
Romney's the guy who tells us to pay no attention to that little misunderstanding in the hidden video when he wrote off 47 percent of Americans as moochers. He cares about us all! Meanwhile, he's sending coded love notes to his fellow .1 percenters with promises of slashed environmental regulations, workers' rights and safety net programs, and, the sweetest whispers of all, more tax cuts on top of the Bush tax cuts that subversively supplant any real concern over deficits and debt.
But you have to hand it to Romney, this
He says he's the guy in the race who cares the most about American workers and increases in take-home pay. Of course, it's not what one says that reveals true character and intent; it's what one does.
Romney's concern for the American worker is best illustrated by
Romney's claim to care more than Obama about small business is just as empty. When Bain dumped take-over companies into bankruptcy court (after extracting millions from them in fees and distributions), it left behind hundreds of small businesses with nearly worthless I.O.U.s, representing the goods and services that those small businesses provided in good faith. Feelin' the love?
Ladies, Romney says he will be the better candidate for women by making the economic case, promising a nirvana-like world where 20 percent tax cuts and higher defense spending magically erase the deficit and add millions of jobs. But as he fills our heads with fantasy numbers, he deflects us from his real women's agenda, one in which Planned Parenthood is defunded, employers get to decide on access to contraception in health plans and
Good-bye Roe v. Wade, church-state separation and the little guy's chances against corporate power. Hey, corporations are people, too, remember?
America's plutocrats have spent a fortune to get Romney elected, with some threatening their employees with layoffs if they don't vote for him. (
After the romance is over, Romney will be all theirs.
Read the latest political news.
- United States Presidential Elections in Perspective
- Early Latino Turnout Could Swing Vote
- A Letter to Women Voters
- The Final Days, The Biggest Issue and The Clearest Choice
- Another Electoral College Nightmare?
- Why We're Still in Deep Trouble No Matter Who Wins The Presidency
- FEMA vs 'Romnesia'
- An Unscripted October Surprise
- Stormy Weather Politics
- Storm Saves Obama From Himself
- A Romney Presidency Would Erase Decades of Progress
- President Obama Has Earned Our Trust -- and Our Vote
- Conservatives Long for the Sad Days of Yesteryear
- The Key Election Factor -- Hispanic Turnout
- Presidential race will be 'all about turnout'
- Romney: Obama Victory Would Mean More Gridlock
- Obama: 'You Know I Tell the Truth'
- Romney Pledges Bipartisanship in Final Push
- Gaffes and Zingers, Highlights of Mitt Romney's Campaign
- Women Voters: Kingmakers in 2012
- Obama: 'We've Got More Work to Do'
- The Uncool President
- The 2012 Choice
- Busting Myths about Benghazi
- Benghazi -- No Mere 'October surprise'
- The Vanishing Act of Dubya
- Not an Easy Makeover for Florida Representative Allen West
- What Men of the GOP Don't Get About Rape and Abortion
- In GOP View, Life is Sacred ... Except When It's Not
- Romney the Wrong Man to Handle United States Foreign Policy
- Mitt Romney AWOL in Foreign Policy Debate
- How the Election Could Go Wrong for Romney
- Mitt Romney's Question-Mark Economy
- Will Money Talk?
A Letter to Women Voters | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc