Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
Is this the nastiest presidential campaign ever? That's a toughie. Past campaigns have set the bar so low that, to quote a senior advisor to
Actually the advisor
That's why I'm skeptical of Team Romney's finger-wagging over Obama's alleged loss of the high-minded ideals of his 2008 campaign. Obama never promised to be a patsy. That's not, as an old saying goes, the
Fehrnstrom was complaining about a pro-Obama ad produced by
Yet what's significant about these dust-ups is the Obama campaign's reaction: No apologies. Instead, campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith jabbed the Romney campaign's "faux outrage" as "extremely hollow." She went on to criticize the Romney campaign for questioning whether the president understands what it is to be American, attacking his patriotism and questioning his support of free enterprise.
After years of getting beat up by the
You could hear that after Vice President
The multiracial audience laughed and Republicans pounced. Some accused Biden of playing the race card. Romney called Obama a "disgrace" who should "take your campaign of division and anger and hate back to
Yet Biden would only concede that he meant to say "shackles," not "chains," because he was actually quoting recent Republican rhetoric. Indeed, in a
In fact, I, for one, wish that the Romney campaign were as deeply concerned about the racial implications of their recent welfare ads. They accuse Obama of ending work requirements for welfare recipients. He didn't. Yet political history shows "welfare" to be more racially loaded in politics than "shackles" or "y'all."
And what's up with Romney's accusation that Obama of "robbed" or "raided"
But don't hold your breath waiting for campaigns to become more gentle or thoughtful. Everyone complains about attack ads, it seems, but they must work or campaigns would stop producing them.
That's especially true in this, the year of the Incredible Shrinking Undecided Voter. Most voters have made up their minds, leaving a narrower-than-ever sliver of undecideds for campaign operatives to "educate" with their ads.
It might be cheaper, some have suggested, for the campaigns to simply hand a large check to each of the remaining undecideds in battleground states and give the rest of us a rest. That's got my vote.
But, again, don't hold your breath. Just hold your nose.
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever? | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.