What Ryan Says About Romney
So what does this say about Romney?
This should put an end to all hopes that Romney is a closet Republican business moderate, only adopting extreme positions to appeal to the Republican primary base. With his choice of Ryan, Romney has chosen a running mate who champions the most extreme policies of the tea party right on both social and economic issues. Romney is as right wing as he says he is.
Ryan reinforces Romney's strategy of hiding what is in the potion he's selling. For example, Ryan, like Romney, calls for sustaining the Bush tax cuts, abolishing the estate tax and lowering income and corporate taxes. Both claim they will pay for the tax cuts by "closing loopholes." But neither Romney nor Ryan (in his famous budget) indicates just what loopholes they will close. Why? Because as the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center reported after making the most favorable assumptions possible, it is "mathematically impossible" for the Romney-Ryan tax plans to avoid handing out a huge tax break to the richest Americans while hiking taxes on 95 percent of the population. That isn't the kind of thing you want to admit.
Romney and Ryan claim that they can raise military spending and preserve
The reason is that if you take military spending,
The cruelest cuts Romney and Ryan would make is in health care.
Not only would they repeal Obamacare and deprive millions of affordable health care, but they would turn
The vast majority of Americans oppose the core elements of this plan. Here Ryan is invaluable, for no one is more skilled at earnestly pitching his agenda and concealing the pain it would cause to millions of poor and middle class people. He isn't going to end
All of this is delivered with a sham declaration of bold leadership: " We won't duck the tough issues; we will lead."
Yeah, only they just won't admit to where they are going, and that is toward cuts so harsh that the Catholic bishops decried the plan for failing to meet society's moral obligations, saying it "will hurt hungry children, poor families, vulnerable seniors."
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Leads Romney in Post-Conventions Poll
- Character, Policy and the Selection of Leaders
- The Politicization of Violence
- The Selling of American Democracy: The Perfect Storm
- Erasing W
- Losing Latino Votes
- The Party is Over: Longtime GOPer Dissects Modern Political Landscape
- Paul Ryan's Faux Populism
- Rise Up, Middle Class, Rise Up!
- A Modest Proposal: Three Weeks of Paid Vacation
- The Paul Ryan Choice
- Mitt Romney's Misguided Blue-Collar Voting Bloc
- What Mitt Romney Could Do to Connect with Hispanics
- Romney and the Republican Club
- Hurricane Isaac's Impact on the GOP
- Five Things Romney Needs from GOP convention
- The Goldwater Legacy
- Mitt Romney Risks 'Hispanic Debacle' in November
- Mitt Romney Runs Away from his Running Mate
- Paul Ryan's Magical Thinking
- Mitt Romney Finds Love in the GOP
- What Ryan Says About Romney
- Romney-Ryan: Real change
- Obama vs Romney: Meanest campaign ever?
- That's Joe Biden
- Mitt, More Gaffes Like This, Please
- Muzzle Mitt Romney on Taxes Now?
- A Debate About Debates
- Decoding Mitt Romney's Odd Humor
- After Romney Birth Certificate Joke, Dems Play the Race Card
- The 'Boring' 2012 Presidential Campaign
- Mitt Romney's 'Welfare Queen'
- Mitt Romney's Opportunity
- We're All Subsidizing Free Lunches for America's CEOs
- Washington, Are You Listening?
- Class Warfare
- Indefensible: The Truth About Pentagon Spending
- David Barton's Make-Believe Version of American History
- Onward Christian 'Teavangelicals'
- Campaigns Touch Briefly on the Wars
- 'Mad Dog' Harry Reid
- Republican Woes with Women
- Rape, Patriarchy and the Bomb
- Akin Offers Unflattering Glimpse of Widely Shared Republican Attitudes
- Todd Akin's 'Legitimate' Pain
- Todd Akin's Idiocy is Infectious
- Todd Akin's Ignorance Hardly Unique
- The Decline of Party Power
- Trapping Season
- Mitt Romney's 'Zero-Percenters'
- No More Boring White Guys for the GOP
- Eating America's Seed Corn
- Romney and Ryan Project Vague Foreign Policy
- A Storied Presidency
- There is No California
- The Koch Brothers' Moonshine
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
What Ryan Says About Romney | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.