60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity
In the days of the late
The program on which
The president said of Clinton, "...a lot of the successes we've had internationally have been because of her hard work." Kroft should have asked if one of those successes included
Late in the interview, the president rattled off his administration's foreign policy successes. He mentioned
Kroft should have followed up with: "Different from
Kroft brought up the 2008 presidential campaign during which Clinton had some tough things to say about
Kroft did concede that there had been no big foreign policy achievement in Obama's first four years in office, though the president maintained that winding down two wars, keeping pressure on terrorists and "dismantling" al-Qaida's core leadership constituted success.
Kroft could have countered with: "Terrorism appears not to be about leaders, but followers of an ideology. Is your policy simply to keep killing terrorists? Do you think you can kill them all?"
Kroft mentioned the terrorist attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi,
Before conducting the interview, Kroft should have read several questions tweeted by
Politicians go on shows that won't confront them with hard questions they don't want to answer. If those questions are asked, they'll likely not appear on those shows again. The media need ratings and to get them they need high-profile guests. Politicians know this. That's the unholy alliance between much of big media and political leaders.
Something similar occurred on Sunday's edition of
The primary role of journalists is to question authority. In these two instances, Kroft and Raddatz fell short.
Read the latest political news.
- A Shortage of Mercy
- The Separation of Profit and State
- The Morality Brigade
- What Would RFK Do?
- On Partisan Echo Chambers
- Campaign Finance Reform Brings About Strategic Shifts
- Big Sugar's Subsidy -- How Sweet It Is
- Dr. Ben Carson, New Right-Wing Hero
- One of These Things is Not Like the Other
- GOP Assault on Workers' Rights Continues
- One More Bush?
- Gun Control's Timid Advocates
- Gun Lobby Defends Their Cynical Business Model
- Right Decision, Wrong Reason
- Obamacare: Unhappy Anniversary
- Fighting the Last Political War
- RNC Power Grab
- The GOP Goes Under the Knife
- GOP Reboot: A 'Grand Open Party?'
- The Demise of Moderate Republicanism
- GOP Needs to Make Up its Mind on Immigration Reform
- Fusion Power on the Right
- Greatest Generation the Most Entitled
- Michael Bloomberg: Freedom to Make Stupid Decisions
- Chuck Hagel Survives
- American Recessional
- On Talking Things Out
- Rand Paul's Stunt Misses the Point
- What Rand Paul Got Right
- Flight of Fancy
- The Downside of Conservative Orthodoxy
- CPAC Unwise to Snub Chris Christie
- It's 'I Told You So' on Obamacare
- Mitt Romney's Surprising Post-Mortem
- Do We Need to Maintain A Dole For Former Presidents?
- Extortionist in Chief
- The Sound of Inevitability
- Bringing California Back
- The California 'Mordida'
- GOP Governors Still Know a Good Deal When They See One
- Governor Scott to Voters: Never Mind
- Another Scandal in Tallahassee? You Bet!
- This Florida Citizen Outraged by Citizens Insurance
- Visions: America after Hegemony
- High Court Ponders: Is Racism Over?
- A Ruling on Racial Progress
- Detroit's Decline
- Death and Life in Maryland
- Signs that the NRA is Losing
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
- Leave Liberal Hollywood to the Liberals
- Can GOP's Local Success Translate to Federal Level?
- United States Shouldn't Create Underclass of Immigrants
- Rubio vs an Invisible Obama
- Marco Rubio's Problem Wasn't the Water
- Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership
- The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On
- Two Cheers for Republican Rebranding
- Obama's Blunt Challenge to Congress
- Conservative Business Leaders Should Widen Their Scope
- Calling Out Bugnut Idiocy
- No Easy Answers for Gun Woes
- A Time to Resist
- Recycling Old and Failed Ideas
- Obama: An Energized Lame Duck
- Obama's Place in History Already Assured
- Obama's License to Kill by Drone
- Drone Double Standard
- Torture Helped Get bin Laden?
- Let Us Prey
- A Message to Obama, Served Cold
- Government Should Not Define 'Church'
- Where The Buck Still Stops
- Republicans Make Nice, But Are Their Hearts True?
- Incoherent Immigration Reform
- The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol
- 60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity
- Obama and Rubio: A Study in Contrasts
- State of the Union, At Home and Abroad
- The Minimum Wage and The Meaning of a Decent Society
- The Hoax of Austerity Economics
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Pentagon Keyboard Jockeys Can Now Out-Decorate Combat Heroes
- One Day The World Will Thank Bush For Shaking Up The Arab Region
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc