America's 'Green' Quagmire
It was a massive flatbed truck, flanked by smaller vehicles brandishing "oversized load" banners, carrying a huge white thing.
I think the first one I saw was in
What was it? At first, it looked like it could be a replacement for the Swords of Qadisiyah -- that giant crossed blades sculpture in central
And then, the aha: It was a propeller blade for a wind turbine, a really big one.
I've seen plenty of wind farms, but I'd never seen the blades being transported for construction. Last week I saw a lot of them.
Why? Because they were on the road, and so was I. My 8-year-old daughter and I were on a summer adventure. We drove more than 2,000 miles from
Something about seeing all those turbine propellers made me think of wartime mobilization, like FDR's ramp-up during the Lend-Lease period or Josef Stalin's decision to send Soviet heavy industry east of the Urals.
The comparison isn't completely daft, either. The notion that we should move to a war footing on energy has been a reigning cliche of U.S. politics ever since
Ever since, we've been hearing that green must become the new red, white and blue.
It's difficult to catalog all of the problems with this nonsense. For starters, the mission keeps changing. Is the green energy revolution about energy independence? Or is it about fighting global warming? Or is it about jobs?
For most of the last few years the
As for the windfall in green jobs, that has always been a con job.
The record in America has been no better, Obama's campaign stump speeches notwithstanding. The
Perhaps the most pathetic part of the war to green America is how unwarlike it really is. The
Green jobs, like shovel-ready jobs, proved a myth in no small part because President Obama is eager to talk as if this green stuff was the moral equivalent of war, but he's not willing or able to do things a real war requires.
What we're left with is not the moral equivalent of war but the moral equivalent of a quagmire. A very expensive quagmire.
Read the latest political news.
- Times Editor Declares War on Personal Religious Beliefs
- What's Wrong With the 2012 Republican Presidential Field
- American Politics Has a Plato Problem
- Is Obama Toast?
- My Fellow Americans ...
- Keep the Faith
- Americans Looking for Common Sense Solutions Only See Bitter Partisanship
- What Hurricane Irene Can Teach Us About the Jobs Crisis
- The Lessons of Hurricane Irene
- Eric Cantor to Hurricane Victims: Me First!
- Rich Donors Don't Act on Threat to Stop
- Protest and Politics
- Decay in the Art of Political Insults
- Nightmare on Pennsylvania Avenue
- Rick Perry Gets His 15 Minutes
- Rick Perry Wants Supreme Court Term Limits
- Why Mitt Romney Could Still Win in the Conservative South
- Could Romney Private-Sector Resume Trump GOP Foes' Public Service?
- Republican Politics and Fundamentalist Religion
- Four Ways Rick Perry Hurts Michele Bachmann's GOP Bid
- My Rick Perry Problem -- and Ours
- Rick Perry's 2012 Challenge in New Hampshire
- What's Off the Table in 2012?
- Obama's One Election Break
- The Old 'Not Enough' Excuse
- Tea Party asks Palin to stop supporting Senator Hatch
- The Tide and Marco Rubio
- News Flash: Congresswoman Has Spine
- Seduced by the Cult of Experts
- Yes, Virginia, There is a Surplus!
- GOP Attacks on EPA Ignore the Problem
- America's 'Green' Quagmire
- Could Ron Paul 2012 Pave the Way for Rand Paul 2016 or 2020?
- Democrats Hit GOP Tax 'Hypocrisy'
- Newt Gingrich Could Be the New 'Comeback Kid'
- Dick Cheney Strikes Back
- The Great Explainers
- Labor vs. Drudgery
- This Labor Day We Need Marches, Not Parades
- 9/11 in Retrospect: Bush's Grand Strategy, Reconsidered
- Al-Qaeda Lost the Battle Long Ago
- 10 Years of 9/11 Wars is Enough
- Why Al Qaeda is Unlikely to Execute Another 9/11
- 9/11 Anniversary Subdued in Many Areas
- Tea Party Decline Hopeful Sign for Thinking Americans
- Lessons for the Next Debt Fight
- Rob Portman May Be Pivotal to 'Super Committee' Success
- The Death of a Principled Moderate
- Why America is Deeply in Need of a Good Hedgehog
- Obama Has Nothing To Lose With Jobs Push
- Obama Fights Broken System, but it May Be the Wrong Fight
- The Man Who Doesn't Want to Be President
- What if the President Liked Businesspeople?
- Where's Obama's Fight?
- Who's In, Who's Out
- How Would Rick Perry Reform Health Care If President?
- Republicans' Big Problem in 2012 -- Hispanics
- Religion and Budget Issues Dog Rick Perry
- First Impressions in Politics
- Perry Criticism Pushes Bernanke Further Into Political Limelight
- Super PACs Changing 2012 Landscape
- Tea Party Champion Ron Paul Takes Bow in New Hampshire
- Is Ron Paul a Fringe Candidate?
- Will Obama Win or Not Lose in 2012?
- Why the New Health-Care Law Should Have Been Based on Medicare
- The Boat Leaks From the Bottom
- A New Wave of Bigotry?
- Congress to Dissect Pentagon Report on China's Military Development
- We Need a Bold Jobs Bill to Stop the Double-Dip
- Who's Worse Off: Europe or the United States?
- Why Are Some Progressives Gloating over Libya?
- Obama Calls for Syrian President Assad to Step Down
- Violence in Iraq Raises Questions About American Withdrawal
- Young Westerners -- Deprived or Decadent?
- How New Atrocity-Prevention Steps Can Work
- The Mob That New Technology Has Made
- Unfinished College Degree Means Less Money
- What Kinds of Federal Spending Create the Most Good Jobs?
- Americans Favor Tax Hikes on Wealthy to Reduce Nation's Debt
- 78 Percent of Americans Dissatisfied with Government
- Standard and Poor's Downgrade Not Likely to End Partisan Gridlock
- America Forced to Swallow 'Satan Sandwich'
- Tightening the Pentagon's Belt
- The Only Social Security Reform Worth Considering
- Shock Study: U.S. Flag Only Boosts GOP
- For These Republicans, There's Only One Problem: Obama
- Obama Should Take a Lesson from George H.W. Bush
- Is the President in Recovery?
- Will Debt Deal Cost Obama His Liberal Base?
- Is the Tea Party Over?
- Debt Ceiling Stalemate Illustrates the Tea Party's Reality Gap
- Should You Talk Politics Online?
- Talkin' About Your Generation
- Spare Us the Sermons Mr. President
- Don't Assume the Hispanic Vote Is a Democratic Lock
- Political Will for Corporate Tax Reform Reaching Critical Mass
- Democrats Get Ready for Next Debt Fight
- America Downgraded!
- Who Stands for Americans?
- Along with Lack of Jobs, A Wage Problem
- What The Economy Looks Like at Stall Speed
- The Empathy Deficit
- Crisis of Confidence: Debt Debate Erodes US Global Standing
- What Fox News Is Not
- Obama Is No LBJ
- Partisanship Run Amok Obama Is Out of Options
- 2012 Elections: Reagan Playbook No Longer Applies
- Alec Baldwin Going Back To School To Become Mayor Of NYC
- The Terminology of Taxation
- United States Debt Downgrade Won't Have Much Short-Term Effect on Foreign Policy
- Global Economic Downturn: A Crisis of Political Economy
- United States Economy A Pyramid Scheme
- Raising Debt Ceiling United States Avoids Default
- China Expresses Disgust Over United States Debt Deal
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Threaten Economic Recovery
- Congress's Spending Debate Won't End With Debt Ceiling
- Debt Deal: Ransom Paid
- Debt Deal - Bold Step; Wrong Direction
- Debt Deal: One-Sided Compromise
- Debt Deal: A Satanic Deal for Debt Fighters
- Obama Signs Compromise Debt Ceiling Bill
- Debt Deal Puts Off Hard Choices for Now
- Senate Set to Give Final Approval to Debt Ceiling Bill
- Despite Debt Deal, Prolonged Deadlock Caused Political Damage
- Who Won the Debt Ceiling Standoff?
- GOP 2012 Contenders Criticize Debt Deal
- Florida Rejects Grants from Affordable Care Act
- Media Takeaways From the Latest Round of Scandals
- Michele Bachmann's 'Submerged' Benefits
- Fight Over Financial Safeguards: Another Front In The Partisan Warfare
- Green, Shovel-Ready Stimulus -- 100 Years Ago
- When Politics Stop Working
- Conservative Appeals Court Judge Paves the Way for Affordable Health Care
- New Fears EPA Smog Rule Will Cost 7.3 Million Jobs
- Eroding the Social Contract
- Can 'Gang of Six' Save the Day on Debt Ceiling?
- Do We Need the Debt Ceiling?
- The Ideologue in the Oval Office
- The Rise of the Wrecking-Ball Right
- Many Ideas for Job Creation, but Little Action
- Eliminating Mortgage Interest Deduction Could Further Hobble Housing Recovery
- War Fatigue and the Un-Critical Critics of War
- Obama's Expanded Militarism
- Obama's Bush-League World
- Debt Fight Reinforces China's Negative Views of America
- Rupert Murdoch's Legacy -- Greater Press Controls
- Military-Industrial Journalism
- On Journalistic Credibility
- Another Blow to Journalism's Image
- 5 Ways Michele Bachmann Can Win 2012 Swing Voters
- A Religious Test for 2012?
- EPA Budget and Power Under Attack from Republicans
- GOP Takes Dead Aim on EPA
- The Question is Jobs
- Panetta's Gaffe
- Declaring a National Emergency
- The Federal Debt Limit Debate: A Leadership Opportunity
- Millionaires and Billionaires
- The Presidency Matters, But How Much Does Obama?
- Obama's Reagan Parallels Are Falling Away
- The President's Jobs Plan
- Budget Debate Has Troublesome Historical Underpinnings
- It's Back! The Misery Index Rides Again
- Handling Big Contradictions
- Why Are We Afraid to Cross the Lines that Divide Us?
- Bernie Sanders: Make the Rich Pay Off the Deficit
- The Free Market Fails at Food Safety
- The Growing Desperation of the Don't-Raise-Taxes-on-the-Rich Crowd
- If Not This, Then What Are Our Taxes Paying For?
- Debt Limit Irresponsibility
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Mean Social Security Cuts
- The Tax Cuts for the Rich Again
- Stand-Up Time for Obama
- President Obama's Balancing Act
- New Jersey Miracle: What About the Rest of Us?
- For 2012 Republicans: The Economy Trumps the Culture War
- Michele Bachmann's Beginnings
- GOP Attacking Americans' Right to Vote
- Marco Rubio: Ready for Political Primetime
- 'Mortal Kombat' and the First Amendment
- The Unethical Clarence Thomas
- On Humanitarianism: Is Helping Others Charity or Duty or Both?
- Does Obama Have a Grand Strategy?
- How Health Care Can Save or Sink America
Available at Amazon.com:
America's 'Green' Quagmire | Politics
(c) 2011 Tribune Media Services, Inc.