The American Public's Assessment Of Obama's Two Terms
By Niall McCarthy (Statista)
Americans are starting to think back about the nation's progress under eight years of Barack Obama. Gallup recently conducted a poll to find out how people view Obama's achievements across several key policy areas.
President Barack Obama called on Americans to defend their democracy in his farewell speech in Chicago.
Americans have been reflecting on the nation's progress under the outgoing president. According to a Gallup poll published, the public overwhelmingly agrees that the situation for the LGBT community has improved under Obama.
Indeed, he became the first sitting U.S. president to publicly declare his support for the legalization of same-sex marriage in May 2012. People also agree that energy and the economy have made progress under Obama. However, Americans feel the country lost ground on immigration, crime and race relations in particular.
A spate of police shootings of unarmed black men led to an outbreak of protest and anger not seen since the LA riots of 1992. Given the gravity of the turbulence, it comes as little suprise that most people think race relations have stumbled under Obama. 25 percent of people think the racial situation has moved forward while 52 percent think the country has lost ground.
The chart above shows responses to the question "Has the U.S. has made progress/lost ground on these issues under Obama?"
- Igniting a Movement for a Moral Economy
- Online Political Ads & Transparency
- If the Trump Revolution is Possible, So is a Progressive One
- Trump's National Security Strategy
- American Sovereignty on Steroids
- What Americans Think of Trump's Tax Plan
- The Limited Effects of Tax Cuts on the Economy
- The Politics of Religion
- Our Social Structure is Rigged
Help For Struggling Millionaires Is On the Way
- Trump's Jerusalem Rationale and Its Consequences
- Trump, Jerusalem and the End Time
- The States With The Most People In Debt
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Grappling with Disinformation
- Making Social Media Safe for Democracy
- The Birthplace of Trumpism
- How People Perceive Trump
- Republicans Admit Their Tax Plan Is All About Rich Donors
- The Best of Times for a Few in America
- What the Military Thinks of Trump
- Politicians Less Popular Than Trump
- The Most and Least Popular United States Senators
- America's Most Polarizing Brands
- Most Americans Believe JFK Conspiracy Theories
- America's Active Hate Groups
- Despite Trump, Climate Action Goes On
- Cities & States Challenging Trump on Climate
- Americans Split on the 'Russia Story'
- Americans Think Trump Tweets Too Much
- Populism's Call
- Political Tension by the Watercooler
- Why Was Comey Fired?
- An FBI Director's Job Security is Low
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- Trump and Trade
- The Appeal of Trump's America First
- The Russian Honeypot
- Will Trump Get a Handle on Things?
Politics: "The American Public's Assessment Of Obama's Two Terms"