The American Public's Assessment Of Obama's Two Terms
By Niall McCarthy (Statista)
Americans are starting to think back about the nation's progress under eight years of Barack Obama. Gallup recently conducted a poll to find out how people view Obama's achievements across several key policy areas.
President Barack Obama called on Americans to defend their democracy in his farewell speech in Chicago.
Americans have been reflecting on the nation's progress under the outgoing president. According to a Gallup poll published, the public overwhelmingly agrees that the situation for the LGBT community has improved under Obama.
Indeed, he became the first sitting U.S. president to publicly declare his support for the legalization of same-sex marriage in May 2012. People also agree that energy and the economy have made progress under Obama. However, Americans feel the country lost ground on immigration, crime and race relations in particular.
A spate of police shootings of unarmed black men led to an outbreak of protest and anger not seen since the LA riots of 1992. Given the gravity of the turbulence, it comes as little suprise that most people think race relations have stumbled under Obama. 25 percent of people think the racial situation has moved forward while 52 percent think the country has lost ground.
The chart above shows responses to the question "Has the U.S. has made progress/lost ground on these issues under Obama?"
- Trump and Trade
- The Appeal of Trump's America First
- Obama's Presidency by the Numbers
- The Russian Honeypot
- Will Trump Get a Handle on Things?
- Draining the Swamp How-To Guide
- Exploding Inequality is Killing Democracy
- Calling Working People of All Colors
- Reducing Inequality in the Trump Era
- Donald Trump, the Middle East, and American Foreign Policy
- Jeff Sessions: Trump's Most Dangerous Cabinet Pick
- Trump and the Iran Nuclear Deal
- United States Presidential Inaugurations
- Trump Set To Become The Oldest President
- The American Public's Assessment Of Obama's Two Terms
- Obama's Legacy: Growth, Debt & Employment
- Trump Currency Bump: Jubilant Ruble & Declining Peso
- Trump and Israel: Big-League Issues and Huge Repercussions
- How Trump Changed Everything (2016-2020)
- The Crusades Are Back, With a Vengeance
- How Inequality Undermines Democracy
- Crony Capitalism Made Rick Perry Energy Secretary
- From Here to Dystopia
- Trump Taking on Wall Street, Literally
- Who Voted for Wall Street?
- Foreign Meddling in Our Vote
- Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un: Soul Brothers?
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- American Cities With the Highest Murder Rates
- Populist Challenge and Political Judgement
- The Last Days of Democracy?
- Trump, China and Hawkish Campaign Rhetoric
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- A New Populism in the Trump Era
- Explaining Donald Trump's Victory
- Political Earthquake With No Precedent
- What Election Analysts Can Learn
- How Obama's Legacy Lost the Election
- Big Money Won in 2016
- America's Dark Underbelly Is Now Its Face
- The Statue of Trumperty
- Trump Doesn't Sound Like Our Voice
- This Election Wasn't About Trump
"The American Public's Assessment Of Obama's Two Terms"