An Imperial President
One definition of "imperial" on dictionary.com is, "of the nature or rank of an emperor or supreme ruler."
At a recent news conference, a petulant, threatening and confrontational President Obama spoke like an emperor or supreme ruler. All that was missing was a scepter, a crown and a robe trimmed in ermine.
This president exceeds even
Not only did he supply long answers to relatively easy questions, but much of what he said bore no relation to reality.
He spoke of having had the debate over the economy during the 2012 campaign and boasted, "...the American people agreed with me." By the way, can we now retire the phrase "the American people"? Too many politicians overuse it, including Speaker
The president dissembled, talking again (he repeated this at least three times by my count) about how
In 2003, during another debate over raising the debt ceiling, Sen.
Many other Senate Democrats, including Senators
The president says he will reduce debt with a "balanced approach," by which he means offsetting higher taxes on the wealthy with spending cuts, which will never materialize. It won't work. Whatever tax revenue government manages to save,
The president has submitted a budget to
President Obama will not negotiate about raising the debt ceiling? Not surprising. Imperial leaders don't negotiate.
Cal Thomas is a conservative American syndicated columnist and author syndicated in over 550 newspapers and is heard on over 300 radio stations
Read the latest political news.
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
- Targeting Hillary Clinton
- Hillary Clinton Grilled, Punches Back
- Hillary Clinton's Dodgy Testimony
- Wake Up, Socially Liberal Fiscal Conservatives
- When Big Deficits Became Good
- No Labels, No Excuses
- Another Second Inauguration
- Obama 2.0: The Sequel
- Big Government 2.0
- Oh, Yesterday Went Suddenly
- Time to Grow Up, GOP
- Roe v. Wade at 40
- An Imperial President
- Obama's Flip-Flops on Money in Politics
- Control Politicians, Not Guns
- Obama Goes Big on Gun Control, But Can He Deliver?
- Appropriate Job for Big NRA Backer
- Female vs Male Senators
- Chuck Hagel: A Petty Decision by Obama
- Chuck Hagel and Defense
- U.S. Policy as Global Security Provider Built on Plymouth Rock
- Avoiding the Wars That Never End
- I Am Because You Are
- Warm Coats and Inaugural Memories
- War On Pot Has Gone Up in Smoke
- Second Amendment Vigilantes
- Obama Calls for Debt Ceiling Increase
- Don't Blame Me if Obama's Second Term Disappoints
- Debt Ceiling: Let's Pay Our Bills
- The Billionaires' Long Game
- GOP: Groping Old Party
- On to the Next Cliff
- Congress and the Fiscal Cliff: More of the Same
- The Dropped Ball
- Fiscal Cliff Deal Won't End War Between Democrats and Republicans
- Joe Biden Has the Last Laugh
- When Uncle Sam Pays Dividends
- Winning Ugly: Obama and the Fiscal Cliff
- Obama's 2013 priorities -- and Guns
- The Year That Was in Politics
- 2012: When Dreams Died
- Don't Tread on Six-Toed Cats
- The Crisis of the Middle Class and American Power
- What Price U.S. Citizenship?
- The Geopolitics of Immigration
- The Great New-Year Stampede
- Not So Merry Christmas For Congress and President
- John Boehner's 'Plan B' Gamble
- Republicans Would Rather Upgrade Afghan Infrastructure Than Our Own
- Who's Afraid of the Fiscal Cliff?
- The Kingdom of Fairness
An Imperial President | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc