Co-sponsoring Your Success
"If you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. ... If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."
The president's defenders have claimed he either misspoke last week at a
At best, Obama's "gaffe" is a banal truism, and if the president's praetorians want to defend him on grounds of platitudinous banality, fine. But even they have to know in their hearts that this is a pathetic maneuver, given that the reason they're rushing to defend Obama in the first place is his commitment to the very philosophy they deny he's espousing.
This is the great irony of Obama and his defenders. He is a progressive ideologue and a passionate believer in "social justice," and that's a large reason why his fans love him so. But if you ever say that he is what he is -- if you take his words seriously -- they ridicule you for believing he's anything other than a pragmatist and moderate.
Meanwhile, what many conservatives don't appreciate is that Obama is not some otherworldly radical, importing foreign ideas, but that he in fact fits within an old American intellectual tradition. Indeed, you might even call him a reactionary progressive; he seeks to restore the assumptions and priorities of the Progressive Era.
Progressives invented the idea of the "moral equivalent of war" as a means of inciting citizens to drop their personal priorities and rally around the state for a government-defined "cause larger than themselves." Obama came into office under the motto "a crisis is a terrible thing to waste" and has been looking for "Sputnik moments" ever since in a search for a way to rationalize his agenda.
To the extent Obama ever speaks the language of religion, it is to justify, even sanctify, the works of government. He often invokes the Hallmark-ized biblical teaching that "I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper" as a means to rationalize not personal action but government action. (Obama's own half-siblings have received little attention from their very wealthy and famous relative.)
Progressive minister Walter Rauschenbusch famously declared that only the "God that answereth by low food prices" should be God. You might say that under the ObamaCare vision, only the God that answereth with free birth control should be God.
In the slideshow "The Life of Julia" (
It's all of a piece with Obama's conviction that "a problem facing any American is a problem facing all Americans."
The problem facing Obama is that there's a reason the American people never fully embraced the progressive vision. The idea driving America is the individual pursuit of happiness. Just because the word "individual" appears in there doesn't make it a selfish ideal; it means it's a vision of liberty. We each find our happiness where we seek it. For some that's in business, for others the arts, or religion or family or a mix of them all. And very often our happiness depends upon the satisfaction we feel at having conquered problems on our own.
Under President Obama, that sense of happiness is a mirage, because everything is a co-production of the state.
Read the latest political news.
- Romney Opens Mouth, Only to Make a Joke of Himself
- Green Scissors for Congress
- The Truth About Obama's Tax Proposal (And The Lies Some are Telling About It)
- Mitt Romney Stays Mum on Tax Avoidance
- Condi Rice Rumor Reveals Divisions in Romney Camp and on the Right
- The African-American Swing State
- Mitt Romney's Tour Starts in Wrong Place
- Teen Assailed for Outgrowing Conservatism
- Obama's Outsourcing Ad is Demagogic Populism
- Campaign on Cruise Control
- Mitt Romney's No-Brainer
- No Loonies Need Apply for GOP Vice-President
- Mitt Romney's Veepstakes Mania
- Mitt Romney's Hidden NAACP Audience
- The Subject Straight-Shooting Mitt Romney Doesn't Dare Address
- The Sham Battle For The Black Vote
- Mitt Romney and the NAACP
- Mitt Romney's Hysteria Bubble
- Our Voting Rights: Protect Them, Don't Reject Them
- A New Kind of Scrutiny on the Campaign Trail
- Older Voters' Disapproval of Affordable Care Act Selfish
- Affordable Care Act: Lifesaving Law
- The 'Freedom' to Refuse Health Insurance
- Shameless Tax Loopholes
- 7 Habits of Highly Ineffective Government
- Co-sponsoring Your Success
- The Escalator of Success (Next Time Take the Stairs)
- Weeding Out Phony Warriors
- The Numbers Game
- The Stossel Solution
- The War on Soda Pop
- Cutting Pentagon Fat
- Don't Expand NAFTA
- 21 Trillion Dollars Hidden in Tax Havens
- The True Meaning of Patriotism
- Year of the Gaffe
- Sabotaging Montana's Campaign Finance Legacy
- Taxing Mitt Romney's Consistency
- Mitt Romney's Worst Enemy
Co-sponsoring Your Success | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.