Crony Capitalism Made Rick Perry Energy Secretary (Photo: Gage Skidmore / Flickr)
By Jim Hightower
Thanks to crony capitalism Rick Perry is our Energy Secretary. The former Texas governor's only experience for the job comes from stiffing the American people and the environment.
Rick Perry has taken quite a tumble since being governor of Texas. He was a twice-failed GOP presidential wannabe and then ended up being a rejected contestant on Dancing with the Stars, the television show for has-been celebrities.
But now, having kissed the ring of Donald Trump, Perry is being lifted from the lowly role of twinkle-toed TV hoofer to -- get this -- taking charge of our government’s nuclear arsenal.
That’s a position that usually requires some scientific knowledge and experience. But as we’re learning from Trump’s other cabinet picks, the key qualification that Trump wants his public servants to have is a commitment to serve the private interests of corporate power.
That’s why Perry -- a devoted practitioner of crony capitalism and a champion of oligarchy -- has been rewarded with this position.
As governor, Perry went to extraordinary lengths to let the fossil fuel giant Energy Transfer Partners run a pipeline through the ecologically fragile, natural wonders of Texas’ pristine Big Bend region. In fact, he rammed it right down the throats of local people, who were almost unanimously opposed.
Perry then accepted a $6 million campaign donation -- i.e., a payoff -- from the company’s corporate boss, who later made Perry a paid member of the corporation’s board of directors.
Perry also privatized a state-run, low-level nuclear waste facility, turning it over to Waste Control Specialists, a firm owned by a major campaign contributor. Then he let the corporation double the amount of waste dumped there, while reducing its legal liability for damages.
Finally, after taking even more cash from the owner, Perry pushed to let him put high-level nuclear waste in the dump.
Rick Perry has zero expertise or experience for the job of energy secretary, but he has plenty at stiffing the American people and our environment.
Article: Courtesy Otherwords.org.
- Igniting a Movement for a Moral Economy
- Online Political Ads & Transparency
- If the Trump Revolution is Possible, So is a Progressive One
- Trump's National Security Strategy
- American Sovereignty on Steroids
- What Americans Think of Trump's Tax Plan
- The Limited Effects of Tax Cuts on the Economy
- The Politics of Religion
- Our Social Structure is Rigged
Help For Struggling Millionaires Is On the Way
- Trump's Jerusalem Rationale and Its Consequences
- Trump, Jerusalem and the End Time
- The States With The Most People In Debt
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Grappling with Disinformation
- Making Social Media Safe for Democracy
- The Birthplace of Trumpism
- How People Perceive Trump
- Republicans Admit Their Tax Plan Is All About Rich Donors
- The Best of Times for a Few in America
- What the Military Thinks of Trump
- Politicians Less Popular Than Trump
- The Most and Least Popular United States Senators
- America's Most Polarizing Brands
- Most Americans Believe JFK Conspiracy Theories
- America's Active Hate Groups
- Despite Trump, Climate Action Goes On
- Cities & States Challenging Trump on Climate
- Americans Split on the 'Russia Story'
- Americans Think Trump Tweets Too Much
- Populism's Call
- Political Tension by the Watercooler
- Why Was Comey Fired?
- An FBI Director's Job Security is Low
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- Trump and Trade
- The Appeal of Trump's America First
- The Russian Honeypot
- Will Trump Get a Handle on Things?
Politics: "Crony Capitalism Made Rick Perry Energy Secretary"