Trump's Debate Sniffles
By Angela Moon (Reuters)
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump stole the social media spotlight during the U.S. presidential debate - this time for what Twitter users branded a #Trumpsniffle.
The wealthy businessman was seen and heard sniffling repeatedly as he faced off against Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in their first debate, giving rise to the hashtag.
The Twittersphere was abuzz with playful memes and animations as viewers tried to figure out what was causing Trump's nose to run. Parody accounts Donald's Sinuses (@TrumpsSinuses) and Trump sniff (@TrumpSniff) instantly gained a large following.
A campaign aide said Trump, 70, did not have a cold.
Several tweeters seized on the sniffling to hit back at Trump over his repeated digs at the health and stamina of Clinton, 68, who had pneumonia earlier this month.
"I am worried about @realDonaldTrump's health - are the sniffles symptoms of something more serious? #sniff #debatenight," tweeted user Scott Charton.(https://twitter.com/ScottCharton/status/780577081818087424)
Twitter said the debate was the most tweeted-about political moment in the social media company's history. Trump was the focus of 62 percent of the conversation on the social media platform, Twitter said.
On Facebook, conversations about Trump made up 79 percent of debate chatter, while Clinton's share of the conversation was 21 percent.
Even so, sentiment appeared to go Clinton's way. Social media analytics firm Zoomph said tweets mentioning Clinton ended at a ratio of about 1.5 to 1, which meant that for every negative mention, there were 1.5 positive mentions, Zoomph said.
Sentiment toward Trump fluctuated, but ended nearly flat at a ratio of one positive mention to every negative one.
The most tweeted-about topics were the economy, foreign affairs, energy and environment, terrorism and guns.
- Trump and Trade
- The Appeal of Trump's America First
- Obama's Presidency by the Numbers
- The Russian Honeypot
- Will Trump Get a Handle on Things?
- Draining the Swamp How-To Guide
- Exploding Inequality is Killing Democracy
- Calling Working People of All Colors
- Reducing Inequality in the Trump Era
- Donald Trump, the Middle East, and American Foreign Policy
- Jeff Sessions: Trump's Most Dangerous Cabinet Pick
- Trump and the Iran Nuclear Deal
- United States Presidential Inaugurations
- Trump Set To Become The Oldest President
- The American Public's Assessment Of Obama's Two Terms
- Obama's Legacy: Growth, Debt & Employment
- Trump Currency Bump: Jubilant Ruble & Declining Peso
- Trump and Israel: Big-League Issues and Huge Repercussions
- How Trump Changed Everything (2016-2020)
- The Crusades Are Back, With a Vengeance
- How Inequality Undermines Democracy
- Crony Capitalism Made Rick Perry Energy Secretary
- From Here to Dystopia
- Trump Taking on Wall Street, Literally
- Who Voted for Wall Street?
- Foreign Meddling in Our Vote
- Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un: Soul Brothers?
- The Pentagon's $125-Billion Cover-up
- The Year of 'Post-Truth'
- Americans Think Fake News Has an Impact
- American Cities With the Highest Murder Rates
- Populist Challenge and Political Judgement
- The Last Days of Democracy?
- Trump, China and Hawkish Campaign Rhetoric
- The Dangers of Big Philanthropy
- A New Populism in the Trump Era
- Explaining Donald Trump's Victory
- Political Earthquake With No Precedent
- What Election Analysts Can Learn
- How Obama's Legacy Lost the Election
- Big Money Won in 2016
- America's Dark Underbelly Is Now Its Face
- The Statue of Trumperty
- Trump Doesn't Sound Like Our Voice
- This Election Wasn't About Trump
- Bartleby the American
- Sorry, I Can't Give Trump a Chance
- Obama's Foreign Policy Legacy
- Uncle Sam Needs a Better Handle on Your Money
- Careful What You Wish For
- How to Strengthen Our Democracy Beyond Voting
- An Appetite for Action on Tax Reform
- Trump vs Clinton: The Final Round
- 2016 Election Results
- 2016 Election Polls & Results
- Trump is the Nation's Abuser-in-Chief
- Hillary Clinton and the Neocons
- How Voter Turnout Could Put Trump in The White House
- Trump the Arsonist
- Us vs Them: How Neurophilosophy Explains Our Divided Politics
- It's Rigged: Takes One to Know One
- Walling Them Out, or Walling Us In?
- A Historic Election for Women and Not Just Because of Hillary
- The Myth of Trump's Alternative Worldview
- Hillary Clinton: A Hawk in the Wings
- The Future of Civil Rights is Up To the Supreme Court
- How Accurate are Election Polls?
- What Would Happen If Donald Trump Decided to Challenge the Election Results
- Republicans Would Reject 'Rigged' Election Result If Hillary Clinton Wins
- My Trump-Like Bully
- Is Trump Committed to Democratic Rule of Law?
- Trump Was Born on Third Base
- Clinton Expands Into 'Red' States; Trump Again Claims Fraud
- Clinton Wins All Three Debates
- The Best and Worst Presidents on Taxes
- Revolutions Don't End On Election Day
- Hillary's Surprising Debate Stumble on Trade
- Scott Walker's Political Magic
- Prominent GOP Leaders Denouncing Trump
- The Reduction of Muslim Americans
- Wikileaks Offers Glimpse of Clinton Team's Early Thoughts on Trump
- Presidential Debate: Supreme Court, the Second Amendment & Abortion
- Presidential Debate: Immigration, Russian Involvement in the US Election
- Presidential Debate: Taxes, Trade Deals & Foreign Military Aid
- Presidential Debate: Presidential Fitness
- Presidential Debate: Foreign Hot Spots
- Forbes Pegs Trump's Wealth at $3.7 Billion, $800 Million Less Than Last Year
- Trump's 1995 Tax Records Suggest No Federal Taxes For Years
- Clinton Assails Trump in Blistering Debate
- Trump Unable to Capitalize
- Clinton's Odds of Winning Presidency Jumps
- Clinton vs Trump Debate by the Numbers
- Presidential Debate Reaction
- Presidential Debate Perspectives from Asia
- Trump's Debate Sniffles
- Clinton vs Trump Debate Photos
Politics: "Trump's Debate Sniffles"