Dr. Ben Carson, New Right-Wing Hero
Whenever somebody says something like, "Now, I know this isn't PC, but...," watch out. It probably means they're about to say something rude.
In the case of Dr.
"It's not my intention to offend anyone," he said late in his address. "But it's hard not to. The PC police are out in force at all times."
Please. If the political-correctness police were in the house, they were lost among the roses of praise that conservative throngs soon tossed at Carson.
No question that Carson, 61, is an impressive figure. Best known as the first surgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins, back in 1987, he also is well known for his up-from-adversity narrative, recounted in his autobiography, "Gifted Hands," which was made into a 2009 TV movie starring Cuba Gooding Jr.
Raised by a single mother in
But at the National Prayer Breakfast it took his impressive bio to lend heft to his seemingly un-PC, yet decidedly conventional, ideas. Besides his sermonette on "moral decay" and "fiscal irresponsibility," he called for a flat tax, based on the Bible's edict to tithe 10 percent of one's income. His other big idea was to replace Obamacare with health savings accounts, automatically opened for everyone at birth -- and subsidized for the indigent.
Those are appealing ideas to policy wonks, but both concepts were pretty much put to rest by voters last year. Republican candidate
Yet Carson's speech in Obama's face energized conservatives. "
His inspirational, Obama-bashing speech at the
"I think Dr.
We'll see. As a longtime admirer of Dr. Carson before the conservative establishment found he was cool, I cannot help but wonder how much of this new infatuation on the right is fueled by a novel form of reverse discrimination. I'm not saying that conservatives are only thrilled by Carson because he's black, but they probably wouldn't be nearly as excited about him if he wasn't.
That's fine. Republicans and the conservative movement both could use more high-profile diversity. However, they should avoid the odd exuberance of conservative bombshell
Dr. Carson appears to defy such easy captivity. He's a registered independent, not a Republican. In an interview posted Tuesday on the Daily Caller website, he said he opposed both the
Stay tuned. Conservatives have a history of getting excited about independent-minded mavericks (
Read the latest political news.
- Usual Suspects Using Terror Attacks to Bludgeon Immigration Reform
- Deportation: The D-word
- The Case Against Cutting Social Security and Medicare
- Useless Baggage
- Flying Over an Act of Monumental Stupidity
- Drone World
- Where Our Democracy Works and Where It Doesn't
- America's Just Not That into Obama
- 2017: After Obama
- Beware Public Opinion
- Why Do Liberals Fear Success?
- The Stealth Sequester
- 'Right wing' Does Not Equal 'Terrorist'
- Dubya's Library Opens Debate About Presidential Record
- Obama Eye-Candy Comment Leaves Sour Aftertaste
- Where Obama Should Listen to Rand Paul: Legal Pot
- Rand Paul Gets Schooled at Howard University
- Rand Paul has Explaining to Do
- Conversation Starters Paisley, Paul are Taking Their Lumps
- An Odd Push to Privatize Marriage
- Fear of Gay Marriage Backlash Overblown
- Can GOP Reverse the Damage Done by Iraq?
- Hagel's Challenge
- Wasn't Sandy Hook Enough?
- Gun Vote Reveals New GOP Divide
- Marco Rubio Comes Up Short on Gun Control
- Obama's Limited War on Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Grief Without Borders
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Banking on the Poor
- Austerity Leaves Us Crying '96 Tears'
- A Shortage of Mercy
- The Separation of Profit and State
- The Morality Brigade
- What Would RFK Do?
- On Partisan Echo Chambers
- Campaign Finance Reform Brings About Strategic Shifts
- Big Sugar's Subsidy -- How Sweet It Is
- Dr. Ben Carson, New Right-Wing Hero
- One of These Things is Not Like the Other
- GOP Assault on Workers' Rights Continues
- One More Bush?
- Gun Control's Timid Advocates
- Gun Lobby Defends Their Cynical Business Model
- Right Decision, Wrong Reason
- Obamacare: Unhappy Anniversary
- Fighting the Last Political War
- RNC Power Grab
- The GOP Goes Under the Knife
- GOP Reboot: A 'Grand Open Party?'
- The Demise of Moderate Republicanism
- GOP Needs to Make Up its Mind on Immigration Reform
- Fusion Power on the Right
- Greatest Generation the Most Entitled
- Michael Bloomberg: Freedom to Make Stupid Decisions
- Chuck Hagel Survives
- American Recessional
- On Talking Things Out
- Rand Paul's Stunt Misses the Point
- What Rand Paul Got Right
- Flight of Fancy
- The Downside of Conservative Orthodoxy
- CPAC Unwise to Snub Chris Christie
- It's 'I Told You So' on Obamacare
- Mitt Romney's Surprising Post-Mortem
- Do We Need to Maintain A Dole For Former Presidents?
- Extortionist in Chief
- The Sound of Inevitability
- Bringing California Back
- The California 'Mordida'
- GOP Governors Still Know a Good Deal When They See One
- Governor Scott to Voters: Never Mind
- Another Scandal in Tallahassee? You Bet!
- This Florida Citizen Outraged by Citizens Insurance
- Visions: America after Hegemony
- High Court Ponders: Is Racism Over?
- A Ruling on Racial Progress
- Detroit's Decline
- Death and Life in Maryland
- Signs that the NRA is Losing
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
Dr. Ben Carson, New Right-Wing Hero | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc