Female vs Male Senators
As the son of a woman, the husband of a woman and the father of daughters and granddaughters, I celebrate the record number of females who are now
The media mostly ignore other Republican women, like Gov.
"We're less on testosterone," Sen.
So testosterone is to blame for the fact that male senators are so combative and that
But after all the talk about female bonding and how women and men have different approaches to solving problems, what does that mean? Does it mean that a Democratic female senator who is pro-choice on abortion and favors same-sex marriage, bigger roles for government, more spending and higher taxes will be able to find common ground with a Republican female senator who takes the opposite positions? I doubt it.
This double standard seems not only to apply to gender, but also to race. Consider the disparaging things said about
In the end, it isn't about gender or race, but ideology. When they speak of "women's issues," for example, the left seems to think that all women think alike, or should. The same for African Americans and civil rights. I think the right correctly sees content of character and ideas as superior to gender and skin color.
In the interview with
I'm not betting on estrogen besting testosterone to "get things done," forge compromise and diffuse confrontation, especially given the history of some very uncompromising female leaders like Cleopatra, Catherine the Great, underground railroad "conductor"
Cal Thomas is a conservative American syndicated columnist and author syndicated in over 550 newspapers and is heard on over 300 radio stations
Read the latest political news.
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
- Targeting Hillary Clinton
- Hillary Clinton Grilled, Punches Back
- Hillary Clinton's Dodgy Testimony
- Wake Up, Socially Liberal Fiscal Conservatives
- When Big Deficits Became Good
- No Labels, No Excuses
- Another Second Inauguration
- Obama 2.0: The Sequel
- Big Government 2.0
- Oh, Yesterday Went Suddenly
- Time to Grow Up, GOP
- Roe v. Wade at 40
- An Imperial President
- Obama's Flip-Flops on Money in Politics
- Control Politicians, Not Guns
- Obama Goes Big on Gun Control, But Can He Deliver?
- Appropriate Job for Big NRA Backer
- Female vs Male Senators
- Chuck Hagel: A Petty Decision by Obama
- Chuck Hagel and Defense
- U.S. Policy as Global Security Provider Built on Plymouth Rock
- Avoiding the Wars That Never End
- I Am Because You Are
- Warm Coats and Inaugural Memories
- War On Pot Has Gone Up in Smoke
- Second Amendment Vigilantes
- Obama Calls for Debt Ceiling Increase
- Don't Blame Me if Obama's Second Term Disappoints
- Debt Ceiling: Let's Pay Our Bills
- The Billionaires' Long Game
- GOP: Groping Old Party
- On to the Next Cliff
- Congress and the Fiscal Cliff: More of the Same
- The Dropped Ball
- Fiscal Cliff Deal Won't End War Between Democrats and Republicans
- Joe Biden Has the Last Laugh
- When Uncle Sam Pays Dividends
- Winning Ugly: Obama and the Fiscal Cliff
- Obama's 2013 priorities -- and Guns
- The Year That Was in Politics
- 2012: When Dreams Died
- Don't Tread on Six-Toed Cats
- The Crisis of the Middle Class and American Power
- What Price U.S. Citizenship?
- The Geopolitics of Immigration
- The Great New-Year Stampede
- Not So Merry Christmas For Congress and President
- John Boehner's 'Plan B' Gamble
- Republicans Would Rather Upgrade Afghan Infrastructure Than Our Own
- Who's Afraid of the Fiscal Cliff?
- The Kingdom of Fairness
Female vs Male Senators | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc