Trouble for Donald Trump's Campaign
by Palmer Gibbs
Donald Trump has about $1.3 million cash on hand, according to the latest campaign finance data. This could spell trouble for the GOP nominee
Just a few days after a string of not great headlines, Donald Trump got another batch of bad news. The presumptive Republican nominee had an abysmal month of fundraising in May, bringing in about $5.6 million, according to the latest reports from the Federal Election Commission.
Of that total, $3,372,168 was from individual contributions. Trump loaned his campaign another $2,248,641.
As the visualization shows, Trump's slower month of fundraising didn't mean he pumped the brakes on his spending habits. Trump's campaign spent a little more than $6.7 million in May, leaving his cash on hand at a paltry $1,289,508.
That puts Trump's overall burn rate -- the amount of campaign money spent divided by money raised -- at 98 percent, the highest of the remaining presidential hopefuls.
Those are dismal numbers, but it's especially bad considering May effectively marked the beginning of Trump's general election campaign. In theory, Republican donors should have started to fall in line behind their candidate once Trump secured the nomination, giving him a boost in contributions. For a point of reference, Trump's May numbers represent his lowest fundraising haul since September 2015. That month, he raised about $3.9 million.
Trump continues to loan his campaign millions of dollars, but whether or not that is sustainable in a general election setting remains to be seen.
Former Secretary of State illary Clinton, on the other hand, is in a more solvent financial situation with her campaign. According to the latest reports, she raised about $26.4 million in May. She spent a little over $14 million in the same month, and her cash on hand stands at more than $42.4 million.
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Clinton Regains Lead
- How Much Candidates Spent Per Vote
- Tim Kaine Cheat Sheet
- Mike Pence by the Numbers
- Americans Divided on Bathroom Bill
- Clinton's Stubborn 75 Percent Chance Finally Dips Following Email Revelations
- The 2016 Democratic Convention by the Numbers
- The 2016 Republican Convention by the Numbers
- Trump's Fundraising Turnaround: June Marked Best Month So Far
- Trump Captures His Largest Lead So Far in Polls
- Trump Pulls Ahead of Clinton in Key Swing States
- Donald Trump and America B
- House Sit-In Would've Been More Powerful if It Rejected 'No Fly, No Buy'
- Clinton's Foreign Policy Poses a Challenge to the Left
- Hillary Wants to Bring Back Bill. She Shouldn't
- The Real Reason Republicans Are Going after the IRS
- ISIS Must Love Trump
- Can Trump Ride the Anti-Immigration Wave to the White House?
- Trouble for Donald Trump's Campaign
- America's Most Followed Members of Congress
- Hillary Clinton's Major Foreign Policy Address Was Anything But
- Donald Trump Down in the Polls After Rough Week on the Trail
- There's No More Denying It: Trump Is Openly Racist
- Donald Trump: Joker's Wild
- After Orlando: Twitter Recoils from Islamophobia, Takes Aim at Gun Laws
- How Much Blame Should Hillary Clinton Bear for Libya?
- Countries That Receive the Most Foreign Aid From the U.S.
- Hillary Clinton Secures Democratic Nomination
- Welcome to Half Dome, Sponsored by Nike
- Companies Need to Stop Bankrolling Hate
- For Billionaire Donors, Academic Integrity Comes Cheap
- America's Cosmic Tax Gap
- Trump's 'Realty Check' on Climate
- Putin and Trump: Symptoms of Creeping Caesarism
- Obama Promised Open Government, But Hasn't Delivered Yet
- A Coalition of the Unhinged
- Putting Free Speech Out to Pasture
- The Only Sane Conclusion from Orlando
- Orlando Shooting Fuels Debate on Gun Control
- They're Killing Us. Help Us Stop Them
- A Commencement Address for the Most Indebted Class Ever
- Our Poverty Myth
- Which States Have Banned Assault Weapons?
- Government Agencies that Spend the Most
- The Government Agencies that Employ the Most People
- Odd Ways Political Campaigns Spend Their Money
- Congressional Districts with the Youngest and Oldest Voters
- Trump Nabs First Lead Against Clinton in Poll
- Bernie's Bucks: Sanders' Fundraising and Spending Prowess in 5 Charts
- Clinton Holds Razor-Thin Lead
- Doling Out the Dough for Pro-Clinton Super PACs
- States with the Most Women in Politics
- Do First Ladies Influence the Popularity of Baby Names?
- Counties Where Medicare Spends the Most per Patient
- We Live in a Democracy, Not a Theocracy
- Is Trump an American Exceptionalist?
- Sanders vs Clinton on Economic Inequality
- Big Money in Politics Drives War
- Why Clinton Supports the Trans-Pacific Partnership and Trump Does Not
Politics: "Trouble for Donald Trump's Campaign"