From Hubris to Humiliation: the Republicans' Letter to Iran
by Leon Wofsy
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AK), who wrote the now infamous letter to Iran. (Caricature: DonkeyHotey / Flickr Commons)
The Republicans' letter to Iran defies constitutional precedent and holds international law in contempt.
There could be no clearer demonstration of the destructive psychology of “American exceptionalism” than the way the negotiations with Iran are being viewed.
Of course, the most egregious attitude, defiant of constitutional precedent and contemptuous of international law, is in the letter of almost the entire GOP Senate majority to the Iranian government. What the GOP ignores completely, the media treats as an occasional footnote: France, Germany, Russia, China and Britain (the UN Security Council +1) are vital participants in the negotiations and any hoped for agreement. They too, not just Obama, would be wiped away by “the stroke of a pen” with which the outlaw Senators promise to trash any agreement.
From hubris to humiliation, the Senators had to be enlightened by the Iranian foreign minister. He suggested that they misread and defied US constitutional proscriptions about the conduct of foreign policy. No surprise that they also had to be informed about international law. Apparently it doesn't exist for them: war is the preferable alternative to diplomacy and international cooperation.
Meanwhile Democrats, including more than a few who have gone along with efforts to sabotage the Iran negotiations, are offended by the brazen partisan behavior of Netanyahu, Boehner and now the GOP Senators. It's time to see this issue as far beyond petty politics. It's a matter of war or peace, one battle in the existential fight for the future.
Leon Wofsy, a one-time leader of Marxist youth organizations, is Professor Emeritus of Molecular and Cell Biology/Immunology at the University of California at Berkeley. Visit his work at Leon's Op-Ed.
Cross-posted from Leon's Op-Ed.
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Your Guide to the 2016 GOP Candidates
- The Case for a Robot-in-Chief
- What's the Matter with Saying 'Middle Class'?
- Odd Bedfellows for Liberty
- Rand Paul's Foreign-Policy Flip-Flop Not Likely to Win Him Many Friends
- The TPP Gang That Can't Shoot Straight
- TPP Shocking Schumer
- The War on Love
- The GOP Bucks Teddy Roosevelt's Legacy
- Of Course Jeb Bush Would Have Invaded Iraq
- 2016: Send in the Clowns
- An Open Letter to Obama: If You Want Money for the Climate, Tax Wall Street
- Obama's Triple Crown
- The 47 Republican Samurai
- From Hubris to Humiliation: the Republicans' Letter to Iran
- The High Cost of Low Taxes
- The Politics of Hillary's Email Problem
- Kissing the Koch Ring
- This Trade Deal Will Make You Sick
- The Nincompoop Caucus Sets a Record
- Giuliani: Nutball or Sleazeball?
- Obama's Last National Security Strategy
- Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent'
- When Bibi Came to Town
- 10 Reasons I'm Praying for AIPAC's Decline
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
Article: Republished with permission of Foreign Policy in Focus.
"From Hubris to Humiliation: the Republicans' Letter to Iran"