After holding the country hostage to force continued tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans, Republicans are now announcing their second priority: cutting government spending, particularly the part that goes to the most vulnerable of Americans.
In the Republican
This is bad policy.
If Republicans actually succeed in cutting
When you order up a ham-and-egg sandwich, the flavors and the aroma mix well.
But if asked to sacrifice to make the sandwich, the chicken would say "no problem," lay an egg and keep on cackling. The pig would say "no, no, no," for he'd have to give up a leg. When folks say everyone should sacrifice, they are often talking about ham-and-egg justice.
Only the current conservative position is worse.
Conservatives just fought to lower taxes on the wealthiest estates in the land. They pushed to sustain top-end tax cuts, while revoking the Make Work Pay tax break, effectively raising taxes on workers who earn less than
So while the children of the rich are likely to be showered with tax-free gifts over the next two years, the children of the middle class, the working class and poor parents will be going to public schools with more crowded classrooms and paying higher tuitions at public universities. Those budgets will be cut because "we can't afford it." That's like a ham-and-egg sandwich, only instead of asking the hen to contribute an egg; we're lining her nest in satin.
It is likely to get worse.
High on the conservative hit list is
But their report is now going to an incoming Republican majority whose budget chair has wanted to cut
This is breathtaking.
Is it conceivable that anyone can justify what actually is taking place? Use taxpayers' money and deregulation to bail out bankers and empower the rich to get richer? Cut taxes on the wealthiest Americans, and on their estates? And then announce that it is time for everyone to sacrifice, beginning with the elderly on
Read the latest political news.
- Obama Faces the Same Problems in 2011
- GOP's John Boehner Gets House Speaker's Gavel
- Good Teen Pals = Good Politics?
- Boehner, Pelosi, Haley, Ryan and Others to Watch in 2011
- New Era of Bipartisanship in 2011? No Chance
- Congress to Tackle Healthcare and Filibuster Rules
- Democrats Push for Filibuster Rule Change
- Republicans Charge Harry Reid Power Grab on Filibuster
- Lame Duck Session Was Successful For The President's Party
- Constitutionalists vs. 'Interpretationists'
- 2010 Midterm Elections Set Campaign Spending Records
- Biden Hints at Obama Reelection Themes
- Obama's Toughest Year Ahead?
- How Obama Is Failing at the Dramatic Side of the Presidency
- The Founding Fathers: Religion and God
- Ham-and-Egg Justice
- Obama's Hawaii Vacation Is Revealing
- Like Sarah Palin Early Feminists Were Pro-Life
- They're Back! The Return of the Death Panels
- Don't Reignite 'Death Panel' Insanity
- Sarah Palin: She Told Us So
- Why the Rich Are Getting Richer
- A Far From Happy New Year
- The American 21st Century
- Defense Is On The Table
- A Leaner and Meaner Defense
- The Political Power of Social Media
- The Good News About Gas
- Post-Census Party-Pooping
- The Would-be GOP Kings
- Generation Next
- Every Man a King
- Believe in Violence and Be Saved
- Inside the Tea Party Revolution
- John Boehner, Sarah Palin and When Crying Is OK in Politics
- Obama and Clinton Share Personality Traits
- Grand Compromise Brings More Spending
- Barack Obama: The New Comeback Kid
- Swimming in Blessings; Drowning in Complaints
- Time for the 2010 Freeby Awards
- A Reliable Prediction
- The Year Washington Became 'Business-Friendly'
- South American Diary
- Obama's Pending Assignment: Reconnecting With Hispanics and Latin America
- Our Government has Become Greedy
- When Will Obama Go 'Gangster'
- Transcending Progressive Discord
- John Boehner's Curious Tears
- A Tractable and Pragmatic President
- The President's Tax Deal Is Just More Trickle-Down Economics
- President Obama: A Decent Deal, a Weak Sales Job
- Questions for Democrats
- The American Jobs Emergency Requires Action
- Why Not Soak the Rich?
- President Obama Takes on the Liberal Democrats
- President Obama's Surrender
- Reigniting the Spirit of 2008
- Learning the Constitution Is Essential for Americans
- Obama-Clinton's Tag Team Show
- Behind Bill Clinton's Smile
- Obama Tax Deal Debate Is a Classic Beltway Christmas Story
- Voters Say Obama Has No Clear Narrative
- When Words Fail
- 10 Senate Democrats Targeted for Defeat in 2012
- Senators Amass Campaign War Chests Ahead of 2012
- Redefining the Global Warming Debate
- The Need to Protect Our Aging Workforce
- First They Came for My Twinkie ...
- More Nixon Wisdom
- Politics Without Labels? What a Silly Concept
- No Backslide for House Ethics
- Obamacare in Critical Condition
- The Death of Health Care Reform
- Sarah Palin's Economy
- In a Giving Mood But Only Toward Rich
- Congress Must Help Struggling Families Not Millionaires
Available at Amazon.com:
Ham-and-Egg Justice | Politics
(c) 2011 Jesse Jackson. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC