Hillary Clinton Grilled, Punches Back
It was darkly amusing to watch Republicans go after Secretary of State
We still have many serious questions that should be asked about the attack on the remote U.S. consulate in Benghazi that left four Americans, including Ambassador
Republicans seemed to care only about questions, no matter how flimsy, from the conservative blogosphere that might embarrass President
And Democrats seemed to care only about easing the former senator's seemingly unstoppable march to the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, if she decides to pursue it.
As she knowledgeably answered or disarmed one question after another, it was easy to forget the die-hard Hillary bashers who speculated that she was afraid to face
Afraid? When Clinton finally appeared, she looked about as frightened as a lion queen in a roomful of bunny rabbits.
For six hours in House and
It is a narrative that unfortunately has turned valuable public attention away from urgent U.S. security concerns at our diplomatic facilities and toward statements made by United Nations Ambassador
Of course, we know from the presidential debates that Obama already had referred to the attack as terrorism before Rice's TV appearances. Yet her foes persist. Alabama Rep.
No wonder Clinton, who repeatedly has taken responsibility for the fiasco, exploded with frustration in the day's most replayed television sound bite after
"With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans," she said sternly to Johnson, her voice rising in volume and fury. "Was it because of a protest? Or was it because of guys out for a walk one night who decided they'd go kill some Americans? What difference, at this point, does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and to do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, senator." Right on, Madam Secretary.
Predictably, some conservative commentators edited that last line out of her sound bite, making her sound like she didn't care what caused the attack. Such brazen hijinks only make her detractors sound like they don't care about the truth -- unless it makes Democrats look bad.
As a political issue for Republicans, the Benghazi hearings fizzled. If nothing else, the hearings showed us how
The hearings also revealed how skillfully Clinton, in her last appearance as secretary of state, could make Lilliputians out of her detractors in a face-to-face confrontation. No wonder Democrats, including some unrestrained cheerleaders on the congressional panels, are begging her to run in 2016.
If she does decide to throw her bonnet into the ring, the Benghazi hearings actually may help her chances. She stands tall when her critics look so small.
Read the latest political news.
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
- Targeting Hillary Clinton
- Hillary Clinton Grilled, Punches Back
- Hillary Clinton's Dodgy Testimony
- Wake Up, Socially Liberal Fiscal Conservatives
- When Big Deficits Became Good
- No Labels, No Excuses
- Another Second Inauguration
- Obama 2.0: The Sequel
- Big Government 2.0
- Oh, Yesterday Went Suddenly
- Time to Grow Up, GOP
- Roe v. Wade at 40
- An Imperial President
- Obama's Flip-Flops on Money in Politics
- Control Politicians, Not Guns
- Obama Goes Big on Gun Control, But Can He Deliver?
- Appropriate Job for Big NRA Backer
- Female vs Male Senators
- Chuck Hagel: A Petty Decision by Obama
- Chuck Hagel and Defense
- U.S. Policy as Global Security Provider Built on Plymouth Rock
- Avoiding the Wars That Never End
- I Am Because You Are
- Warm Coats and Inaugural Memories
- War On Pot Has Gone Up in Smoke
- Second Amendment Vigilantes
- Obama Calls for Debt Ceiling Increase
- Don't Blame Me if Obama's Second Term Disappoints
- Debt Ceiling: Let's Pay Our Bills
- The Billionaires' Long Game
- GOP: Groping Old Party
- On to the Next Cliff
- Congress and the Fiscal Cliff: More of the Same
- The Dropped Ball
- Fiscal Cliff Deal Won't End War Between Democrats and Republicans
- Joe Biden Has the Last Laugh
- When Uncle Sam Pays Dividends
- Winning Ugly: Obama and the Fiscal Cliff
- Obama's 2013 priorities -- and Guns
- The Year That Was in Politics
- 2012: When Dreams Died
- Don't Tread on Six-Toed Cats
- The Crisis of the Middle Class and American Power
- What Price U.S. Citizenship?
- The Geopolitics of Immigration
- The Great New-Year Stampede
- Not So Merry Christmas For Congress and President
- John Boehner's 'Plan B' Gamble
- Republicans Would Rather Upgrade Afghan Infrastructure Than Our Own
- Who's Afraid of the Fiscal Cliff?
- The Kingdom of Fairness
Hillary Clinton Grilled, Punches Back | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc