Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
by Jules Witcover
It's an old partisan tactic, this time invoked by
Rove's reputation as an all-knowing political analyst was severely tarnished by his 2012 election-night reassurance to his
The "episode," described by her doctors as a concussion that produced a blood clot for which she was hospitalized for three days, played nicely into another episode -- the Benghazi consulate attack, for which the Republicans have had a field day accusing Hillary of negligence and dissembling.
It so happened that her injury and hospitalization led to postponement of a scheduled appearance before a congressional committee. When she subsequently testified, she wore special glasses said to correct double vision suffered in the fall.
As reported by the
Beyond the fact that she had been hospitalized only three days, not 30, Rove's linkage was a clever political gambit raising not only
The "health episode" also serves to feed into the presidential qualification issue by focusing on the presumptive Democratic frontrunner's age of 66. If elected in 2016, she would be only months short of 69, the age at which
But the good-humored Gipper, after a seemingly confused first debate performance in 1984 against Democratic nominee
Health more than age can weigh heavily on voters' minds in casting their presidential ballots, but Reagan easily cleared the bar in 1984, having survived an attempted assassination and hospitalization in the first weeks of his presidency, and later colon cancer surgery.
As for Rove's stirring the pot, it fell to the always sensitive and caring former House speaker
If that wasn't the pot calling the kettle black, it was a pretty good imitation, from a failed politician who has himself become a prominent member of that consulting class. In any event, it is unclear how any of this will deter
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
- Midterm Elections May Seal Fate of Obama's Legacy
- Hillary Clinton's Health Matters
- Hillary Clinton's 'Social Gospel' Good Enough for Democrats
- Obama's Immigration Reform in Need of Reforming
- Beating The Dead Horse Called Benghazi
- Don't Tune Out the Newest Benghazi Developments
- Free Speech Not So Free When Discussing Gay Rights
- GOP Hopefuls Seek Inner-City Education
- For D.C. Insiders, Name of the Game is Getting the 'Get'
- Government Waste: Where Has All the Money Gone?
- Obama Defends His Foreign Policy Doctrine
- Why Women -- and Voters -- Prefer Jerks to Fops
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- John Paul Stevens Proposes New Constitutional Amendments
- Cliven Bundy's Towering Tantrum of Entitlement
- Class Warfare Endures as Preferred Political Strategy
- Harry Reid Has Become McCarthy for Our Time
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency
"Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo"