Robert C. Koehler
"The reason you guys are here is because on 9/11
Yeah, oops, gaffe, Mr. Secretary, right? That
In point of fact, Panetta told the embarrassing truth: 9/11, day of unspeakable tragedy, was a goldmine for the Pentagon and the corporate war interests and was quickly used to launch two wars, both of which are long past the need for justification and require, it seems, nothing more than the first law of physics to stay in motion. You guys are here because of 9/11, the tragic all-purpose justification for global hegemony and the pursuit of empire.
Of course, Panetta was trying to be inspirational. That's what's missing from the Obama game plan: the old-time patriotism the Bush administration milked till the cow dropped dead. The new secretary of defense apparently felt a need to connect with the troops and rouse their fervor, or whatever, so he reached a decade into the past and pulled up the tarnished jewel of American victimhood, blood-drenched from shock-and-awe bombing, drone warfare, cruel and arrogant occupation and the visitation of toxic genocide on the countries we liberated.
Oh, and torture -- can't forget torture, can we, Mr. Secretary? And I mean both kinds of torture, the Abu Ghraib-Gitmo variety, which we perpetrate on suspected bad guys, and the invisible, PTSD variety we bequeath to our own troops for the rest of their lives.
It's so hard to be inspirational a decade into the mess, to summon serious poetry and stir the hearts of men and women on their third or fourth tour of duty in hell, especially when the poetry flowing out of the combat zone is so laced with bitter truth:
". . . the young soldier recalls
the exploded body he saw
plastered against the outside of a house
the chunks of bone
embedded in the wall
"We laughed about the dead Hajji
who'd blown himself up," he said.
"You laugh about it, or you cry about it,
or you say nothing and go insane."
This is an excerpt from a poem called "Property Damage," by Buff Whitman-Bradley, which was passed along to me by a friend. Whitman-Bradley, who was the producer of the "Courage to Resist" audio project (2007-2009), interviewed numerous GIs who had been damaged by the war, many of whom had considered or attempted suicide.
"I finished each interview with enormous respect for the young soldier with whom I had just spoken," he wrote at
Panetta invoked a day of mourning and grief that has been desecrated beyond all recognition. It became a day not so much of revenge as public relations gimmickry, good for rallying support behind the neocon agenda and launching that agenda into a state of fait accompli. A decade in, this agenda's wars have multiplied the death and suffering of 9/11 a hundredfold, if not a thousandfold.
A year ago, the
Panetta tried to reach around all this and squeeze a little more war propaganda out of the deaths of "3,000 human beings, innocent human beings" last weekend. In the wake of his words, I feel a silent cry go up from the innocent victims of 9/11 and its aftermath -- a million or more -- to reprioritize our values, stop fighting, change the human course.
Read the latest political news.
- 5 Ways Michele Bachmann Can Win 2012 Swing Voters
- A Religious Test for 2012?
- EPA Budget and Power Under Attack from Republicans
- GOP Takes Dead Aim on EPA
- The Question is Jobs
- Panetta's Gaffe
- Declaring a National Emergency
- The Federal Debt Limit Debate: A Leadership Opportunity
- Millionaires and Billionaires
- The Presidency Matters, But How Much Does Obama?
- Obama's Reagan Parallels Are Falling Away
- The President's Jobs Plan
- Budget Debate Has Troublesome Historical Underpinnings
- It's Back! The Misery Index Rides Again
- Handling Big Contradictions
- Why Are We Afraid to Cross the Lines that Divide Us?
- Bernie Sanders: Make the Rich Pay Off the Deficit
- The Free Market Fails at Food Safety
- The Growing Desperation of the Don't-Raise-Taxes-on-the-Rich Crowd
- If Not This, Then What Are Our Taxes Paying For?
- Debt Limit Irresponsibility
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Mean Social Security Cuts
- The Tax Cuts for the Rich Again
- Stand-Up Time for Obama
- President Obama's Balancing Act
- New Jersey Miracle: What About the Rest of Us?
- For 2012 Republicans: The Economy Trumps the Culture War
- Michele Bachmann's Beginnings
- GOP Attacking Americans' Right to Vote
- Marco Rubio: Ready for Political Primetime
- 'Mortal Kombat' and the First Amendment
- The Unethical Clarence Thomas
- On Humanitarianism: Is Helping Others Charity or Duty or Both?
- Does Obama Have a Grand Strategy?
- How Health Care Can Save or Sink America
- Charlie Crist Would Topple Rick Scott Next Florida Governor Race
- Big Media Suicide Compact
- Sarah Palin and the Media Bring Out the Worst in Each Other
- GOP's War on Workers' Rights Undermines the Economy
- Rejection of Reality Has Become Endemic to Politics
- Are the Republicans Going Soft on Taxes?
- Senators Urge IRS to Provide Taxpayers With Free Software
- AARP on Social Security: A Game-Changer for Entitlement Programs?
- Younger Women Desert Female Candidates
- Will Jon Huntsman Impact the 2012 Field?
- Will Jon Huntsman's Foreign Policy Experience Even Matter for 2012?
- Should Rick Perry Run for the 2012 GOP Nomination?
- Why Anthony Weiner Had to Resign
- Anthony Weiner: Normalizing Deviance
- Anthony Weiner: The Shameless Society
- 8 Politicians Who Survived Scandals
- Momentum Grows for Payroll Tax Cut
- America's Fading Exceptionalism
- When It Comes to Sleaze Men Rule
- President Obama: Our Reactionary President
- Latest On Obama's War Powers Act Workaround
- New GOP Majority Is Trying to Cut Spending, But Not By Enough
- 'Utterly Insane' Health Care Insurance Situation
- Odds Just 1 in 3 on Deal to Raise Debt Ceiling
- An Unrevealing Debate
- The Gingrich Implosion
- GOP Activists Hope for Surprise 2012 Candidate
- Michele Bachmann: The Smart Version of Sarah Palin
- Media Hit Bottom With Sarah Palin Emails
- Hispanics Key to Victory in 2012 Presidential Race
- Anthony Weiner Not the Only 'Flash' Photographer, Sadly
- The President Shouldn't Go Over to the Supply Side
- The Afghan Money Pit
- United States and Pakistan: Afghan Strategies
- Predator Syndrome
- Anti Voter Fraud Reforms Are Practical Not Partisan
- With Rick Santorum Religious Conservatives May Have a 2012 Candidate
- The Truth Is the GOP Has 2012 Trouble
- Obama 2012: Custom-Tailored History
- Robert Gates Departure Could Bring Makeover for Obama on National Security
- Washington Plays Chicken With the Market
- GOP Pushes Balanced Budget Amendment
- For Many Republicans Afghanistan Is A Budget Issue
- Will Mitt Romney Be Able to Dodge Healthcare Flip-Flopper Label?
- Mitt Romney's Second Try
- Is Sarah Palin Wrong to Stand by her Paul Revere Statements?
- On History Sarah Palin is Just Like a Lot of Us
- Little Evidence Weiner Broke Law in Twitter Photo Scandal
- Anthony Weiner: Sex Scandal Sans Sex
- Anthony Weiner: Here's the Lowdown on 'Weinergate'
- Anthony Weiner: A Time For Sadness
- Breaking Down the Debt-Ceiling Debate
- Congress' Bipartisan Vice Is Cowardice
- 40 Years Later: America's Failed War on Drugs
- Something We Can Say With Certitude: The Economy Stinks!
- Solution to US Budget Woes Lies in Ending Its Many Wars
- Tea Party Fear: Has Washington Co-Opted New House Members?
- Obamacare Scare Fizzles
- 5 Reasons Sarah Palin Will Get the 2012 GOP Nod and 5 Reasons She Won't
- Latest GOP Sideshow
- Citizen Cain Rhymes With 'Pain'
- Florida GOP Won't Let Democracy Get Out of Hand
- 8 Easy Ways to Cut Government Spending
- Balanced Budget Movement Grows In House
- Senators Propose Closing State Offices to Save on Budget
- The Factory of Selective Moral Outrage
- Republicans and Democrats No Closer to Compromising on Jobs Plan
- Why Republican Medicare Strategy Just Might Work in Long Run
- Beware the Military-Industrial-Congressional Complex
- Obama's Bad Policy and Harmful Regulations Add to Gas Prices
- Congress Wants More Clarity on Obama's Libya Policy
- New DNC Boss Calls GOP 'Anti-Women'
- Obama Is Deceiving Hispanics on Immigration
- Obama and the Shifting Ground of Race
- Eliot Spitzer's 10 Rules To Fixing the Economy and Corporate Mismanagement
- A Bad Day That Never Changes
- Executive Pay Zooming Skyward Again
- On Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Shakespeare and the Enemy in the Mirror
- The Battle for the Soul of the GOP
- To Fix the Budget Deficit Raise Corporate Taxes
- The Case for and Against The TARP Bailout
- Obama's Secret Weapon for 2012 Re-Election Campaign: The Economy
- 10 Issues Driving Obama's 2012 Re-Election Campaign
- Koch Brothers War on America
- Ignorant Certainty
- Apocalypse, Oops! -- Lessons From a Failed Doom
- Giuliani Aiming to Take Down Romney in New Hampshire
- Tim Pawlenty Aims for the Straight Talk Mantel
- Newt Gingrich Will Star In Democrats' Anti-Ryan Medicare Attacks
- Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin Leading 2012 GOP Field
- GOP Horse With No Rider
- What Price Our Principles?
- Pentagon and Obama Bomb House Bid To Revive Jet Engine
- Congress's Deep Support for Israel May Not Lead to Action
- President Obama Counters Criticism on Middle East
- Obama Offers Little New In Middle East Speech
- The Latest Futility: New President, Same Middle East
- Elizabeth Warren to Obama: 'You Had Me at Predatory Lending'
- Guess Who's Running For President in 2012?
- Even Without Donald Trump, Plenty of Clowns in the 2012 GOP Field
- Who Benefits from Huckabee and Trump 2012 Announcements
- Bin Laden Killing Is Obama's Defining Moment
- Herb Kohl Retirement Adds to Democrats 2012 Senate Woes
- Government Hits Debt Ceiling as Parties Squabble
- Boehner's Debt Ceiling Speech Shows Problems of Obamanomics
- Four Roadblocks to Obama's Immigration Reform
- Alligators, Moats and Other Such Nonsense
- Obama Talks Nice About Immigration Reform But What Is He Willing to Do?
- Mitt Romney: Like Father, Like Son
- Why Newt Gingrich Will be the 2012 GOP Nominee for President
- The GOP Field for 2012: Who's on First?
- Republicans Vs. Invisibility
- A Sharper GOP Field for 2012
- GOP Warns Of Back Door Mileage Tax
- Big Oil Tax Break Vote Could Hurt Vulnerable Republicans
- Why Congress Cannot Fix Your Gas Prices Pain
- Why Washington Should Pay Attention to the Economy Here and Now
- On Gas Prices Obama Should Lead or Get Out of the Way
- Putting $4 Gas In Perspective
- 7 Ways the United States Population is Changing
- Dear Class of 2011: Good Luck You're Really Going to Need It
- Big Oil's Money Gusher
- Lawmakers Tell Obama to End Afghanistan War
- Osama bin Laden Is Dead: Does Obama or Bush Deserve the Credit?
- What did Killing Osama bin Laden Actually Accomplish?
- Toning Down the Celebrating
- Why the Hurry to Gloat About Bin Laden?
- Wall Street Lobbyists Trying to Sway Tea Party
- Killed by Tea Party GOP, Second F-35 Engine Revived
- Trotting Out the GOP Candidates
- Bad GOP Timing
- Recall Elections Enhance Democracy
- Recall Elections Waste Public Funds and Cause Chaos
- A Memorial Day to Remember
Available at Amazon.com:
Panetta's Gaffe | Politics
(c) 2011 TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.