Liberals Mobilize to Save PBS and NPR Funding
Liberal groups, pubic radio, and TV stations and fans of Big Bird and All Things Considered are girding for a huge fight with House Republicans over a
"They probably think that no one will notice these cuts in the midst of so many others. But the millions of listeners and viewers who rely on public broadcasting for Sesame Street, All Things Considered, and independent journalism will notice," said MoveOn.org in an urgent E-mail just sent out. "We need to tell Republicans that cutting off funding was unacceptable last time they were in charge, and it's unacceptable now," said MoveOn.
"Some say that there is no longer a need for federal support for public broadcasting. Others believe it's one of the worthiest places to invest federal dollars. More importantly, though, is what you think," said a notice from
Republicans have long sought to cut public radio and TV funding, claiming that the stations that receive the money are hostile to conservative politics. They also claim that commercial stations deliver equally fair and balanced news.
Liberals see a conspiracy to shut them down.
MoveOn has started a petition drive. Here's their pitch just received by Whispers:
Dear MoveOn member,
I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
With Republicans back in charge of the
The Republicans just released their budget proposal, and it zeroes out funding for both
They probably think that no one will notice these cuts in the midst of so many others. But the millions of listeners and viewers who rely on public broadcasting for "Sesame Street," "All Things Considered," and independent journalism will notice.
We need to tell Republicans that cutting off funding was unacceptable last time they were in charge, and it's unacceptable now.
Add your name to the petition to save
The petition says: "
Thanks for all you do.
-Daniel, Amy, Michael, Wes, and the rest of the team.
Read the latest political news.
- The Two-Party System is Making America Ungovernable
- Obama's Budget Falls Short of Deficit Panel Recommendations
- Republican Budgetary Woes
- Smoke, Mirrors and Other Deceptions
- Chicken Little and the Debt Ceiling
- Healthcare Reform Law Requires New IRS Army Of 1,054
- GOP Falling Into the Same Healthcare Trap That Snared Democrats
- Obama and Big Business the Unlikeliest of Neighbors
- How Business Can Do Business With Obama
- Mitt Romney Takes Aim at Obama During CPAC Speech
- Palin Leads GOP Presidential Hopeful Fundraising Race
- George H.W. Bush Has Earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Liberals Mobilize to Save PBS and NPR Funding
- Senate Looks at Holds and Confirmation Delays
- Seeking the Real Ronald Reagan
- Told You So
- Impending Debate Over Spending Cuts Has Nothing to Do With Reviving Economy
- The Great Jobs Recession Goes On
- Pruning Farm Subsidies
- What Today's Leaders Can Learn From Ronald Reagan
- Reagan and Obama: Differently Similar
- Ronald Reagan: The 40th President at 100
- The Myth of JFK as Supply Side Tax Cutter
- Is Obama's Pro-Business Rhetoric for Real?
- Barack Obama's Progressive Problem
- Obama's Sputnik Analogy Doesn't Fly
- Obama Challenges America to Win the Future
- Why Congress Should Repeal and Replace the Healthcare Reform Law
- Healthcare Reform Law Repeal Would Be Inhumane
- 10 Ways the GOP Can Take Down Healthcare Reform
- Preexisting Conditions Common in United States
- Obama's Plan Would Cost Another $20 Billion
- Sensible Budget Must Include Investment in Our Future
- Freedom From Our Incessantly Growing Union
- Balance of Power
- The National Empathy Divide
- Obama and the Polls
- Obama Bounces Back
- The Loud Passing of the Old Order
- The Speech: Obama's State of the Union
- Obama Looks Good Halfway Through His Presidency
- Bipartisan Support for Making the Tax Code Simpler
- Obama's 'Freeze' Rehashes Failed 2010 Try
- The Spending Cuts Challenge
- Obama Should Challenge Country to Make a Clean Energy Automobile
- Obama's State of the Unions Less 'Intelligent' Than Bush's
- The Sorry State of Our Economic Union
- Looking Ahead and Back
- Obama Remembers JFK
- Reagan and Kennedy Are Role Models for Obama
- We Were Young For One, Brief Shining Moment
- Reagan Son Claims Dad Had Alzheimer's as President
- The Modern Military-Industrial Complex
- Why Sarah Palin Is Wrong About Michelle Obama's Weight Gain Fight
- After Repeal Vote, Healthcare Reform Fight Goes On
- GOP Attack on Health Care Shows Why Democrats Should Have Pushed Medicare for All
- Republicans Play Games with Health Care
- Giffords Shooting in Arizona Spurs Gun Law Debate
- Violent Rhetoric Can Lead to Tragedies Like Arizona Shooting
- Political Tone Had No Role in Arizona Shootings
- 10 States With the Largest Budget Shortfalls
- Contrasts in Black and Red
- The Bloomberg Syndrome
- The Enemies of Our Enemies are Our Friends
- Spiritual Death
- For (and Against) the Filibuster
- Who Needs Democracy?
- On Sargent Shriver
- Why are Republicans Doing This?
- Muslim 'Cosby' Show? Couldn't Hurt
- New Congress to Push Obama on Latin America
- Eisenhower's 'Military-Industrial Complex' and JFK's Inaugural
- Republicans Break Their Promises On Day One
- Speaker Boehner: Will He (Republican) Party Like It's 1995?
- Dysfunctional Duo's undoing
- The Tab Comes Due in 2011
- Incoming Republican Leadership Reeks of Corporate Control
- For the 112th Time: New Congress, Same Challenges
- Obama and Human Rights: Continuity and Change
- Despite Critics, Palin's Buzz Is Positive
- Moment of Silence Needs to Be Followed by More Than Just Lowered Voices
- Tests of a New Political Tone
- At Time of Healing, Sarah Palin Throws Gas on Flames
- The Liberal Empire Strikes Back
- The New Sophists
- Fishing for Democratic Corruption
- The Shameful Attack on Public Employees
- The Stealth Attack on American Education
- Obama Faces the Same Problems in 2011
- GOP's John Boehner Gets House Speaker's Gavel
- Good Teen Pals = Good Politics?
- Boehner, Pelosi, Haley, Ryan and Others to Watch in 2011
- New Era of Bipartisanship in 2011? No Chance
- Congress to Tackle Healthcare and Filibuster Rules
- Democrats Push for Filibuster Rule Change
- Republicans Charge Harry Reid Power Grab on Filibuster
- Lame Duck Session Was Successful For The President's Party
- Constitutionalists vs. 'Interpretationists'
- 2010 Midterm Elections Set Campaign Spending Records
- Biden Hints at Obama Reelection Themes
- Obama's Toughest Year Ahead?
- How Obama Is Failing at the Dramatic Side of the Presidency
- The Founding Fathers: Religion and God
- Ham-and-Egg Justice
- Obama's Hawaii Vacation Is Revealing
- Like Sarah Palin Early Feminists Were Pro-Life
- They're Back! The Return of the Death Panels
- Don't Reignite 'Death Panel' Insanity
- Sarah Palin: She Told Us So
- Why the Rich Are Getting Richer
- A Far From Happy New Year
- The American 21st Century
- Defense Is On The Table
- A Leaner and Meaner Defense
- The Political Power of Social Media
- The Good News About Gas
Available at Amazon.com:
Liberals Mobilize to Save PBS and NPR Funding | Politics
(c) 2011 U.S. News & World Report