Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership
One simple word sums up your unorthodox rebuttal to the President's State of the Union Address: Genius.
Pausing in the midst of a speech that nobody would otherwise remember, lunging off-camera for a bottle of water and then slurping it like a demented hummingbird? ...
Time magazine was right. You are the savior of the
Was the whole country laughing at you? Possibly. OK, yeah.
But was it the most unpresidential thing you could have done? No! You could have walked out with your fly unzipped (whoa, don't get any ideas!).
Truth be told, all of us here at the RNC started freaking out when we saw you stop and take that sip.
What's that goofball doing? we wondered. Does he think it's a rehearsal? Doesn't he know he's on live TV in front of, like, 50 million voters?
But once we stopped throwing our coffee cups and kicking our garbage cans, we calmed down and thought about what you'd done.
And we finally got it, Marco -- the sheer brilliance.
The water grab wasn't really a spontaneous and awkward moment, was it? You'd planned the whole darn thing, right down to your deer-in-the-headlights stare at the camera.
Of course you did, because that's what saviors do. They see the big picture.
The script we gave you to read the other night was incredibly lame. In fact, it was basically
Truth is, we don't have any new ideas in the
Obviously, you read through the script ahead of time and realized it was a turkey. So you improvised a visual distraction, something so ditzy that all of America would instantly stop paying attention to what you were saying.
In retrospect, it was the best thing that could have happened to our party. Thanks to you, Marco, nobody's talking about that moldy little speech. They're talking about you jonesing for that water bottle.
The video clip has gone totally viral. On YouTube you're getting more hits than that adorable piano-playing hamster!
Here at RNC headquarters we're receiving thousands of emails and Tweets, including some from
Yes, Sen. Rubio is really thirsty. The whole country is really thirsty!
Thirsty for a new direction, a new vision for the future.
We're still ironing out some wrinkles, but you get the idea. You've struck gold, Marco, and we're on it.
Read the latest political news.
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
- Leave Liberal Hollywood to the Liberals
- Can GOP's Local Success Translate to Federal Level?
- United States Shouldn't Create Underclass of Immigrants
- Rubio vs an Invisible Obama
- Marco Rubio's Problem Wasn't the Water
- Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership
- The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On
- Two Cheers for Republican Rebranding
- Obama's Blunt Challenge to Congress
- Conservative Business Leaders Should Widen Their Scope
- Calling Out Bugnut Idiocy
- No Easy Answers for Gun Woes
- A Time to Resist
- Recycling Old and Failed Ideas
- Obama: An Energized Lame Duck
- Obama's Place in History Already Assured
- Obama's License to Kill by Drone
- Drone Double Standard
- Torture Helped Get bin Laden?
- Let Us Prey
- A Message to Obama, Served Cold
- Government Should Not Define 'Church'
- Where The Buck Still Stops
- Republicans Make Nice, But Are Their Hearts True?
- Incoherent Immigration Reform
- The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol
- 60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity
- Obama and Rubio: A Study in Contrasts
- State of the Union, At Home and Abroad
- The Minimum Wage and The Meaning of a Decent Society
- The Hoax of Austerity Economics
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Pentagon Keyboard Jockeys Can Now Out-Decorate Combat Heroes
- One Day The World Will Thank Bush For Shaking Up The Arab Region
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc