Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
In the long lull before the
The usual centerpieces of the event are the selection of the presidential nominee and the choice of a running mate; however, the first piece is already clear, and the second may well be known before the delegates gather. In any event,
So the other opportunity to excite and inspire the party and the watching public may be the array of speakers chosen to peddle Romney, a trying task so far, and also to sell the
Who will be served up from the failed crop of 2012?
McCain accused the
There was a time when the Republican tent covered a fair range of diverse personalities preaching variations of how to do the country's business. It ranged from conservative true believers like
In those days, the party was able to field a broad team of speakers that as a group might have something to say to everybody, and the very presence of the two wings worked to cast a reasonable tone over its conventions.
In 1964 in
In 1992, ultraconservative
But in both years and others in the past, the
With the convention hall expected to seat a fair share of tea party advocates, they are likely to be disappointed without some red meat tossed to them beyond a loud chorus against President Obama, who remains the prime unifying factor for all Republicans. In all, the prospect of a hot time in
Read the latest political news.
- US National Debate is a Disgrace
- Romney Lauds Israel's Socialized, Federally Controlled Health Care System
- A Solution to the Problem of Roaring Mouths Saying Nothing
- What Should Come First, Partisan Advantage or National Security?
- How Mitt Romney Got His
- Mitt Romney: Put up or Shut Up
- Is Obama's Best Hope The Inadequacy of His Rival?
- Mitt Romney's Foreign Folly
- Mitt Romney: An Innocent Abroad
- Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP
- 2012 Elections: 100 Days is a Long Time
- Truth Meets the Gaffe Factory
- The Election, the Presidency and Foreign Policy
- Tax Cut Kabuki
- De-Bushing Mitt Romney
- Texas GOP Wages War on Thinking
- Time to Listen to the Other America
- President Obama: You're No Bill Clinton
- What's Behind Hatred of Obama?
- Cleaning Up Campaign Finance
- Supreme Court, Inc.
- His So-called 'Post-Racial' Presidency
- The Terrible Economy and the Anti-Election of 2012
- Marching Toward Greater Inequality
- The Rich Grabbing Bigger Slices of Pie
- Turning College Students into a Commodity
- My Quest for 'Commonsense' Gun Laws
- Gun Lobby Fires Up Obama Fear
- One Nation, Under the Gun
- The Persistent Threat to Soft Targets
- Romney Opens Mouth, Only to Make a Joke of Himself
- Green Scissors for Congress
- The Truth About Obama's Tax Proposal (And The Lies Some are Telling About It)
- Mitt Romney Stays Mum on Tax Avoidance
- Condi Rice Rumor Reveals Divisions in Romney Camp and on the Right
- The African-American Swing State
- Mitt Romney's Tour Starts in Wrong Place
- Teen Assailed for Outgrowing Conservatism
Mitt Romney: Showing off the GOP | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.