Obama Has Tried All the Wrong Policies
The Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank has a very useful interactive website that allows anybody to compare recessions and recoveries during the post-World War II era. It takes only a couple of clicks to complete the exercise, and does not reflect well on the current occupant of the White House
This does not mean that Obama caused the economic downturn. That was the result of policies that were implemented during the Bush years (though the current president was a big supporter of the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac subsidies that played such a big role in the financial crisis). Indeed, the recession officially began in December 2007, more than one year before Obama's inauguration.
But we can hold the president at least partially responsible for an extraordinarily weak and slow recovery. It's been nearly three years since the recession officially ended in June 2009, yet jobs are still well below their pre-recession levels. And overall economic output, or gross domestic product, has just now finally gotten back to where it was when the downturn began.
This is an anemic record. Especially since an economy normally enjoys a strong bounce when coming out of a deep recession.
The problem is that Obama has tried all the wrong policies.
He tried a big-spending Keynesian package that was supposed to be a "stimulus," but that's the same failed approach that Bush tried in 2008, the same failed approach that Japan tried in the 1990s, and the same failed approach that Hoover and Roosevelt tried in the 1930s. Taking money out of the economy's productive sector and letting politicians engage in a spending spree is the opposite of prudent policy.
The president also has continuously expanded subsidies for unemployment, even though academic scholars (and even left-wing economists) all agree that such policies cause more joblessness.
And now he's demanding higher tax rates, holding a Sword of Damocles over entrepreneurs, investors, and small business owners.
The nation recently endured eight years of a big-spending interventionist in the White House . The problem with Obama is that he promised hope and change, but he's continuing the failed statist policies of his predecessor.
Read the latest political news.
- The Crisis in Public Morality
- Where's The Hope?
- Rising Economic Tide Lifts Obama's Fortunes
- Politics: A Never-Ending Game of 'Hot Potato'
- Why Older Citizens are More Likely to Vote
- Ryan's Budget Plan Could Cause Problems Within Both Parties
- Re-election Could Put Obama in Top 4 All-Time
- Obama Deserves Credit for the Recovery
- How Obama Could Have Better Fixed the Economy
- Obama's Policies Have Not Turned the Economy Around
- Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Has Been a Success
- President Obama's Policies Revived the Economy
- Obama Has Tried All the Wrong Policies
- Mitt Romney Should Pick Mainstream VP
- Even Beloved Bob McDonnell Can't Save Romney in Virginia
- Misplaying the Political Game
- Mitt Romney's Sad Search for Authenticity
- Mitt Romney's Hispanic Problem is Serious
- Woman Troubles: The GOP's Bizarre Quarrel with Reality
- How the GOP Can Woo Women Voters
- The Trap of Nation Building
- Job-Killing Tax Breaks
- False Comparisons
- What now for Republicans?
- Brokered GOP Convention Would Ensure a Second Obama Term
- Rick Santorum Could Use Convention Influence to be Romney's VP Pick
- Brokered Convention Improbable, Even If Superdelegates Get Floor
- Conservatives Must Force an Open Convention
- Obama's Teleprompter: The GOP's Dumbest Attack
- Mitt Romney: In Search of Authenticity
- The Federalist Solution
- Pumping Gas Prices for All They're Worth
- Democracy: A Right, Not a Luxury
- Obama's Super, Super PAC
- Rush Limbaugh and the Live Volcano
- Hate Groups Spread Lies and Kill Cops
- Why Newt Gingrich Stays In
- A National Primary Wouldn't Work
- We Need to Re-imagine Our Democracy
- The Current Primary System Promotes Deliberation
- Tough Primary Battles Forge More Resilient Nominees
- Bruce Springsteen Captures The State of America
- What's Good for the CEO May Be Bad for Business
- Stock Market Picks 90 Percent of Presidential Elections
- Twitter Mentality a Threat to America
- God and Caesar in America
- The God Gap
- When the Senate Worked
- The Congressional Thaw
- Failed Highway Bill Shows Just How Fanatical GOP Has Become
- Starving Public Universities Shrinks the Middle Class
Obama Has Tried All the Wrong Policies | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services