Obama's License to Kill by Drone
If you really want
Whoever leaked the
Drones aren't the problem. As tools of war they're a lot less likely than traditional bombing to kill innocent civilians. They avoid the hazards of putting American boots on the ground. As retired Marine Gen.
Most other Americans love drones, too, judging by the polls. An overwhelming 83 percent in a
Targeting our fellow Americans has been a very real issue since
Although none had been formally charged with any crimes by the U.S. government, it's pretty clear that Awlaki had it coming. The American-born cleric was believed to be directly involved in the infamous "underwear bomber" plot, among others. With their English skills, intelligence experts say, he and Khan, an Internet publisher and propagandist, provided important inspirational voices to potential recruits in the West.
There probably would be fewer questions about their rights to due process if we were in a conventional declared war. But the post-
I objected when the Bush administration appeared to stretch reasonable legal and moral limits on torture, detentions, renditions and targeted killings -- and I object just as strenuously to President
That debate has stirred up with a new fury after
We sort of knew that already. Atty. Gen.
Neither does the memo disclosed by
And last May,
But the confidential white paper goes farther than Holder's and Brennan's statements. For example, it "does not require ... clear evidence that a specific attack ... will take place in the immediate future."
Instead, it says, an "informed, high-level" official of our government may determine that the targeted American has been "recently" involved in "activities" that pose a threat, and capture is "infeasible" -- although the memo does not define "recently" or "activities."
The white paper, in short, invites more questions than it answers.
If so, the authority should be granted broadly enough to respond to strike requests without waiting for court approval, yet narrowly enough to avoid taking out the Bill of Rights as collateral damage.
Read the latest political news.
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
- Leave Liberal Hollywood to the Liberals
- Can GOP's Local Success Translate to Federal Level?
- United States Shouldn't Create Underclass of Immigrants
- Rubio vs an Invisible Obama
- Marco Rubio's Problem Wasn't the Water
- Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership
- The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On
- Two Cheers for Republican Rebranding
- Obama's Blunt Challenge to Congress
- Conservative Business Leaders Should Widen Their Scope
- Calling Out Bugnut Idiocy
- No Easy Answers for Gun Woes
- A Time to Resist
- Recycling Old and Failed Ideas
- Obama: An Energized Lame Duck
- Obama's Place in History Already Assured
- Obama's License to Kill by Drone
- Drone Double Standard
- Torture Helped Get bin Laden?
- Let Us Prey
- A Message to Obama, Served Cold
- Government Should Not Define 'Church'
- Where The Buck Still Stops
- Republicans Make Nice, But Are Their Hearts True?
- Incoherent Immigration Reform
- The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol
- 60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity
- Obama and Rubio: A Study in Contrasts
- State of the Union, At Home and Abroad
- The Minimum Wage and The Meaning of a Decent Society
- The Hoax of Austerity Economics
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Pentagon Keyboard Jockeys Can Now Out-Decorate Combat Heroes
- One Day The World Will Thank Bush For Shaking Up The Arab Region
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
Obama's License to Kill by Drone | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc