On Sargent Shriver
A true public servant who never held public office but spent most of his 95 years spreading good works, good will and good cheer finally went to his rest this week. His name was
It was true that
Young Americans from college campuses and city streets flocked to enlist, initially summoned, to be sure, by Kennedy's own inspirational call to service in Third World and other developing nations. But Shriver's personal hands-on engagement made him a much-revered hero to the tens of thousands who served under him during his Peace Coups tenure.
After JFK died, Shriver answered the call of President
The agency itself in time became a target of conservatives who railed against many of its community action organizations that challenged entrenched social welfare bureaucracies in cities around the country. But he persevered.
In early 1968, Johnson offered Shriver the post of U.S. Ambassador to
In 1972, Shriver dutifully accepted the party's vice-presidential nomination after Sen.
In 1976, he sought the presidential nomination himself, after clearing it with
Well, I asked the senator, "if Benito Mussolini walked in here and told you he was going to run, would you wish him well?" Kennedy laughed and shot back: "If he was married to my sister!"
Shriver, son of a prominent
Shriver ran weakly behind
In his later years, Alzeimer's disease gradually sapped his strength and ability to continue his work, bringing his death at 95. But by that time,
Read the latest political news.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Obama and the Polls
- Obama Bounces Back
- The Loud Passing of the Old Order
- The Speech: Obama's State of the Union
- Obama Looks Good Halfway Through His Presidency
- Bipartisan Support for Making the Tax Code Simpler
- Obama's 'Freeze' Rehashes Failed 2010 Try
- The Spending Cuts Challenge
- Obama Should Challenge Country to Make a Clean Energy Automobile
- Obama's State of the Unions Less 'Intelligent' Than Bush's
- The Sorry State of Our Economic Union
- Looking Ahead and Back
- Obama Remembers JFK
- Reagan and Kennedy Are Role Models for Obama
- We Were Young For One, Brief Shining Moment
- Reagan Son Claims Dad Had Alzheimer's as President
- The Modern Military-Industrial Complex
- Why Sarah Palin Is Wrong About Michelle Obama's Weight Gain Fight
- After Repeal Vote, Healthcare Reform Fight Goes On
- GOP Attack on Health Care Shows Why Democrats Should Have Pushed Medicare for All
- Republicans Play Games with Health Care
- Giffords Shooting in Arizona Spurs Gun Law Debate
- Violent Rhetoric Can Lead to Tragedies Like Arizona Shooting
- Political Tone Had No Role in Arizona Shootings
- 10 States With the Largest Budget Shortfalls
- Contrasts in Black and Red
- The Bloomberg Syndrome
- The Enemies of Our Enemies are Our Friends
- Spiritual Death
- For (and Against) the Filibuster
- Who Needs Democracy?
- On Sargent Shriver
- Why are Republicans Doing This?
- Muslim 'Cosby' Show? Couldn't Hurt
- New Congress to Push Obama on Latin America
- Eisenhower's 'Military-Industrial Complex' and JFK's Inaugural
- Republicans Break Their Promises On Day One
- Speaker Boehner: Will He (Republican) Party Like It's 1995?
- Dysfunctional Duo's undoing
- The Tab Comes Due in 2011
- Incoming Republican Leadership Reeks of Corporate Control
- For the 112th Time: New Congress, Same Challenges
- Obama and Human Rights: Continuity and Change
- Despite Critics, Palin's Buzz Is Positive
- Moment of Silence Needs to Be Followed by More Than Just Lowered Voices
- Tests of a New Political Tone
- At Time of Healing, Sarah Palin Throws Gas on Flames
- The Liberal Empire Strikes Back
- The New Sophists
- Fishing for Democratic Corruption
- The Shameful Attack on Public Employees
- The Stealth Attack on American Education
- Obama Faces the Same Problems in 2011
- GOP's John Boehner Gets House Speaker's Gavel
- Good Teen Pals = Good Politics?
- Boehner, Pelosi, Haley, Ryan and Others to Watch in 2011
- New Era of Bipartisanship in 2011? No Chance
- Congress to Tackle Healthcare and Filibuster Rules
- Democrats Push for Filibuster Rule Change
- Republicans Charge Harry Reid Power Grab on Filibuster
- Lame Duck Session Was Successful For The President's Party
- Constitutionalists vs. 'Interpretationists'
- 2010 Midterm Elections Set Campaign Spending Records
- Biden Hints at Obama Reelection Themes
- Obama's Toughest Year Ahead?
- How Obama Is Failing at the Dramatic Side of the Presidency
- The Founding Fathers: Religion and God
- Ham-and-Egg Justice
- Obama's Hawaii Vacation Is Revealing
- Like Sarah Palin Early Feminists Were Pro-Life
- They're Back! The Return of the Death Panels
- Don't Reignite 'Death Panel' Insanity
- Sarah Palin: She Told Us So
- Why the Rich Are Getting Richer
- A Far From Happy New Year
- The American 21st Century
- Defense Is On The Table
- A Leaner and Meaner Defense
- The Political Power of Social Media
- The Good News About Gas
On Sargent Shriver | Politics
(c) 2011 TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.