The President's 'Social Gospel'
For 60 years the National Prayer Breakfast has been a nonpolitical event where speakers put aside their earthly biases
and focus on a Higher Authority. Recently, President Obama departed from that tradition to claim the endorsement of Jesus for raising taxes. It beat the endorsement of
In his remarks, the president quoted Luke 12:48: "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." The president sees this verse as a command for him to raise taxes on the successful so the money can be "spread around" to the less successful. If the president's interpretation of this verse sounds a little like
The president took a quote that was meant to mean something else and twisted it to serve his political ends. He took a verse out of context, created a pretext and then preached on politics. A conservative spinner might also wrongly use Matthew 13:12 to justify cutting taxes. That verse says: "Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance."
The religious and even secular left commends religion when it suits their earthly agenda, but opposes religious instruction when it comes to issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage.
The absence of any editorials in major newspapers critical of the president's mixing of church and state and the virtual silence of activist groups like the
The president claimed Muslims, Jews and even secular sources like Plato also admonish us to have "consideration for others." True enough, but that isn't a mandate for government to be our primary keeper so we "shall not want."
The verse the president quoted, in context, differs from the spin he placed on it. True charity has a purpose beyond the satisfaction of physical needs. Its objective is to change hearts so that whatever is making someone poor will help them become less so. Meeting physical needs is the primary work of the church and individuals, not government, which changes no heart and does a poor job of making people self-sustaining. Government should be a last resort, not a first resource.
The social gospel is not new to this president. It is largely a creation of 20th-century Protestants who believed in applying "Christian principles" to rectify society's problems. Deeds quickly supplanted faith, evolving into a "works salvation" theology, which says if you do enough good works, God will be pleased and let you into Heaven when you die. This contradicts biblical teaching that it is by faith and not works that one is saved from judgment (Ephesians 2:8-9). Some verses teach works as an extension of faith, revealing its depth and seriousness, but they equally teach that works without faith in Jesus is not enough. This is traditional Christian theology. Accept it, or not, but the president is mistaken when he interprets Scripture to achieve his political goals.
Read the latest political news.
- If American Manufacturers Keep Jobs, So Does Obama
- GOP Will Lose in 2012 if Social Issues Take Center Stage
- Why Looks Are Everything in a Presidential Election
- Swing Voters Need a Champion
- Good Businessmen Rarely Make Good Presidents
- Un-Presidential Primaries
- Inside Rick Santorum's Head
- Improving Economy Driving Independents Back to Obama
- The Federal Budget Is a Myth
- Don't Expect Too Much of the Next US President
- There's Still Potential for Palin Presidency
- Understanding the Real Mitt Romney
- A Pointed Comment on Ronald Reagan's Legacy
- Tim Tebow: Public Faith vs Private Faith
- Distorting Civil Rights History
- Obama Campaign: We'll Win Largest Latino Vote Percentage Ever
- Could High Gas Prices Hurt Obama's Reelection Campaign?
- Now the Santorum Option
- The GOP Race Gets Messy
- Buyer's Remorse Already?
- Mitt Romney is Dangerously Naive on Foreign Policy
- Concerning the Poor and Mitt Romney
- For Worse or For Worst, Guns Rule
- The Donald Backs The Mitt
- The Case for Mitt Romney
- Romney Running Against Economic Recovery
- Ron Paul's Appealing to Mormons
- Playing with Fire
- Profiting from the Pentagon
- Super PACs: Hypocrisy and Necessity
- The Sad Spectacle of Obama's Super PAC
- Obama Has It Right on Birth Control
- Save the Babies
- Republicans Enjoy the Health Care They'd Deny to the Rest
- War Through Weakness?
- Liberals are the True Aggressors in Culture Wars
- Nearing a Decision on Iran
- Newt Gingrich's Alinsky Claims Miss Their Mark
- Newt Gingrich's Secret Alinsky Love
- The un-Obama
- The President's 'Social Gospel'
- War Against Mexican Drug Cartels Needs New Focus
- Globalizing Private Sector, Government Overwhelmed by Corporate Money
- America's Constitutional Paralysis
- When It Comes to Taxes, No One Has Defined 'Fair'
- Mitt Romney is the Type Americans Want to Empower Economically
- A Flat Tax Is the Answer
- Punishing the Rich Is a Mistake
- Increase Capital Gains Tax, Decrease Corporate Tax
- Warren Buffett Is Right
- Europe Needs a Marshall Plan
- World Views: Niall Ferguson Interview
- Wealthy Tax Cheats
- The 1 Percent Candidate
- Larry Sabato Warns of Electoral 'Newt-Mare'
- The Hottest TV Drama in 2012
- Trailing Newt Gingrich Makes Plea for Votes
- Newt Gingrich Looks For Winning Strategy
- Eisenhower's 'Military-Industrial Complex' and JFK's Inaugural
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Those Who Hated Him
- Do All the GOP Debates Matter?
- Will Dems Call New Tax Law 'The Romney Rule?'
- 'Buffett Rule' Could Create Unintended Consequences
- Why Swing State Republican Governors Will Get Obama Re-Elected
- State of the Union Speech Focuses on Middle Class Success
- Will Obama's Mortgage Refinance Plan Be D.O.A.?
- State of the Union Shows Few Opportunities for Congressional Action
- Obama Uses State of the Union Speech to Rebuff GOP Attacks
- Obama Channels Clinton in State of the Union
- Obama Crafted a Winning Message
- Winning Words, But Not a Winner
- Obama's Speech Will Be Forgotten
- State of the Union Was Typical for Election Year
- Obama's State of the Union Failed
- Incumbents Have History on Their Side
- Obama's Side of the Nation's Story
- Justice John Paul Stevens on How the Supreme Court Works
- There Is a Judicial Confirmation Crisis and the GOP Is Causing It
Pentagon Budget Ends Post-9/11 Era:
Ushers in Pacific Era
- Senator Puts Nuclear Arsenal in Doubt
- Management Tips Mitt Romney Can Use to Save His Campaign
- Rick Santorum's New Target: Gingrich's Reagan Credentials
- GOP Not As Split as the Media Wants You to Think
- Primary Primer: 5 Things to Know about Florida
- On Courting Public Sentiment
- Ike's Lessons for Obama
- Bill Clinton Says Gingrich 'Just Like Romney'
- Newt Gingrich: Buying Our Future
- The Off-the-Radar Congressional Targets of 2012
- Green Energy Investments Pay Off in the Long Run
- Investment in Clean Energy Production Is a Must
- It's Up to the Private Sector to Invest in New Technology
- Competition, Not Handouts, Should Determine Role of Green Energy
- Government Has a History Supporting Emerging Industries
- Green Energy Dramatically Benefits the Nation
- Subsidies for Green Energy Do Not Help American Consumers
- Super PACs: Destroy Our Future
- Super PACs: Super-sized Influence, Super Lack of Transparency
- Super PACs Are a Form of Political Participation
- Super PACs Need to Disclose Political Activity
- Super PACs Engage in More Positive Than Negative Messaging
- Super PACs Enhance Democracy
- Super PACs Make It Harder for Average Americans to be Heard
- Super PACs Level the Playing Field
- Super PACs Promote Attack Ads and Special Interests
- Dollar Democracy
- 2012 Election Will Decide Which New Wars Will Be Waged
- Why 2012 Will Be Obama-Clinton vs Romney-Rubio
- Revenge of the Internet Nerds
- The Decline of Public Good
- We Must Reignite America's Can-Do Spirit
Free Enterprise on Trial:
Who Bears the Risks?
- Mitt Romney Goes on the Offensive
- Bain Capitalism
- How a Populist Obama Can Win
- Obama: A Question of Priorities
- Newtzilla Conquers All?
- Gingrich Follows GOP Playbook on Racism
- Newt Gingrich as Insurgent
- Newt Gingrich: It's Complicated
- Gingrich and The Politics of Division
- Ron Paul: The Great Contrarian
- Ron Paul and Louis Farrakhan - Birds of a Feather?
- Ron Paul's Kooky Moment
- Ron Paul: Foolish Consistency or Just Foolishness?
- Trying to Stop Mitt Romney
- Mitt Romney's Authenticity Problem
- Romney's Big Problem: Hispanic Voters
- Romney's Lies: Mitt Romney Has a Truth Problem
- Romney's Wealth and Influence on the Campaign Trail
- Mitt Romney: Electability vs Likability
- Romney's Backward Views on States Rights
- Mitt Romney Must Win Battle of the Bloat
- Mitt Romney: People Inc.
- The Luck of Mitt Romney
- Romney's 'Mormon Question'
- Would Today's GOP Elect Ronald Reagan?
- Defense Spending: A Shovel-Ready Investment
- Don't Die Stupid
- Three Conservative Victories
- Not By Sight, But By Faith
- To Spur Economy, United States Must Reform Legal Immigration
- Five Reasons Rick Perry Failed
- Overthrow Wall Street
- Civilization in Reverse
- Momentum of Cynicism
- China's JFK moment
The President's 'Social Gospel' | Politics
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services