The Humpty Dumpty Party (Photo: John Liu / Flickr)
by Emily Schwartz Greco
Is Donald Trump's presidential bid terrifying you?
Try to relax. The bullying billionaire probably can't make it to the White House.
He needs to win a majority of all voters, not just Republicans. That will be tough when nearly two out of three of Americans already abhor him. And his bid could fracture or destroy the GOP.
Barring credible reports that he's an al-Qaeda operative or widely streamed footage of the guy having sex with multiple members of the Clinton family, Trump's bound to keep winning primaries.
He might even arrive at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland with 1,237 delegates, the usual threshold for automatically becoming the party's nominee.
Thanks to number-crunching by services like PredictWise, we know that people who bet on these things were giving Trump an 80 percent chance of winning the nomination following the high-stakes Florida and Ohio primaries. The website, which calculates political odds, was only giving him a 20 percent shot at winning the whole presidential race at that point.
That’s less than the 28 percent chance the same website says the Republican Party has of claiming victory in November. In other words -- if you ask pollsters and bookies -- far more voters would support a Republican who isn't Trump than would support Trump in all his publicity-mongering glory.
Which is why this year's Republican National Convention promises to be the most unruly gathering of its kind in decades. Someone may become the party's nominee without winning the most delegates.
John Kasich, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz are eager to volunteer. When right-wing radio host Hugh Hewitt asked about this prospect in a recent debate, they all said "coronate me" in the most selfless tone they could muster.
"If we nominate Donald Trump, Hillary wins," Cruz predicted.
"Math doesn't tell the whole story in politics," Kasich said.
"I believe that at the end of this process this nation will make the right choice," Rubio declared.
Since GOP voters aren't coalescing around any of those three "anybody but Trump" stooges, and Rubio has exited the race, who else is there?
The leading "white horse" candidates are 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and House Speaker Paul Ryan, his running mate. But Romney's ill-suited for this electoral cycle’s anti-establishment vibe. And Ryan says he doesn't want the job, without ruling it out.
“I haven’t given any thought to this stuff,” Ryan told CNBC’s John Harwood. “We’ll see. Who knows.”
PredictWise gives Ryan a 1 percent chance at this point of becoming the 2016 GOP nominee. That's versus 11 percent for Cruz, 8 percent for Kasich, and zip for Romney or Rubio. The website -- which mashes together polling data, primary results, and online betting trends -- also sees Trump as likely to run as an independent as not if someone else gets the nod.
Denying the real estate developer the nomination despite an outright win or a clear first-place finish would make his raucous base rebel. The Republican party can’t count on Trump’s supporters, even if he refrains from entering the race under his own brand.
Will the Republican Party become the Humpty Dumpty of political institutions? If it has a great fall, all its operatives and all its handlers may not be able to put the GOP together again.
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Igniting a Movement for a Moral Economy
- Online Political Ads & Transparency
- If the Trump Revolution is Possible, So is a Progressive One
- Trump's National Security Strategy
- American Sovereignty on Steroids
- What Americans Think of Trump's Tax Plan
- The Limited Effects of Tax Cuts on the Economy
- The Politics of Religion
- Our Social Structure is Rigged
Help For Struggling Millionaires Is On the Way
- Trump's Jerusalem Rationale and Its Consequences
- Trump, Jerusalem and the End Time
- The States With The Most People In Debt
- The Global Pyramid Of Wealth
- Grappling with Disinformation
- Making Social Media Safe for Democracy
- The Birthplace of Trumpism
- How People Perceive Trump
- Republicans Admit Their Tax Plan Is All About Rich Donors
- The Best of Times for a Few in America
- What the Military Thinks of Trump
- Politicians Less Popular Than Trump
- The Most and Least Popular United States Senators
- America's Most Polarizing Brands
- Most Americans Believe JFK Conspiracy Theories
- America's Active Hate Groups
- Despite Trump, Climate Action Goes On
- Cities & States Challenging Trump on Climate
- Americans Split on the 'Russia Story'
- Americans Think Trump Tweets Too Much
- Populism's Call
- Political Tension by the Watercooler
- Why Was Comey Fired?
- An FBI Director's Job Security is Low
- American News Credibility Poll
- Military Spending on the Rise Again
- Trump and Trade
- The Appeal of Trump's America First
- The Russian Honeypot
- Will Trump Get a Handle on Things?
Article: Distributed by OtherWords.org
"The Humpty Dumpty Party"