'Mortal Kombat' and the First Amendment
Intellectually, I understand the
It's fine for the majority to say parents have ultimate control over what their children see, but how many members of the
According to the
Justices live in an unreal world. They have little experience with cyberspace and violent video games. They bring law school minds to a subject that requires practical experience.
Justices enjoy security that protects them from the kind of assaults depicted in games like "Mortal Kombat" and others in which children are allowed to emulate school shooting sprees or virtually carry out assassinations, decapitations, rape, torture and every other unimaginable horror one human being can inflict upon another.
In his dissent,
Justices should step out of their safety zones and experience life on urban streets where mortal combat is for real and shootings are as commonplace as corrupt politicians. Where do armed teenagers in roving gangs get the idea that life is cheap and can be so easily taken without regard to social mores? Children aren't born this way. They must be taught these things, and if parents aren't teaching them -- or more accurately "parent," since fathers are usually absent and it doesn't take a sociologist to see a connection -- a violent and life-denying culture is happy to fill the moral void.
Does anyone believe
There are a number of laws governing childhood behavior that have never been successfully challenged. Minors are told they can't smoke or drink until a certain age. Why does the state consider it injurious for minors to take alcohol into their stomachs and nicotine into their lungs, but not harmful for them to absorb the most violent images into their minds?
If alcohol produces a reaction in minors the state finds harmful and if cigarettes injure developing lungs and contribute to rising health care costs, -- and so the state imposes age restrictions -- what do violent images produce and why can't the law impose age restrictions on those?
Minors can't sign contracts. The state won't let kids drive cars until a certain age, believing, rightly, that they are not mature enough to handle the responsibility. Some argue that even at age 16, the legal driving age in most states, children are still not sufficiently mature enough to drive, as evidenced by the high accident rate among teens.
Anyone who has tried to stop an adolescent from ignoring a parent's wishes knows what I'm talking about. In a perfect world, children would listen to, respect and obey their parents. But this is far from a perfect world and parents could use occasional help from the state in preventing violent culture from undermining what's in the best interest of the child, and the country. This ruling by the
Read the latest political news.
- Why Are We Afraid to Cross the Lines that Divide Us?
- Bernie Sanders: Make the Rich Pay Off the Deficit
- The Free Market Fails at Food Safety
- The Growing Desperation of the Don't-Raise-Taxes-on-the-Rich Crowd
- If Not This, Then What Are Our Taxes Paying For?
- Debt Limit Irresponsibility
- Debt Ceiling Deal Could Mean Social Security Cuts
- The Tax Cuts for the Rich Again
- Stand-Up Time for Obama
- President Obama's Balancing Act
- New Jersey Miracle: What About the Rest of Us?
- For 2012 Republicans: The Economy Trumps the Culture War
- Michele Bachmann's Beginnings
- GOP Attacking Americans' Right to Vote
- Marco Rubio: Ready for Political Primetime
- 'Mortal Kombat' and the First Amendment
- The Unethical Clarence Thomas
- On Humanitarianism: Is Helping Others Charity or Duty or Both?
- Does Obama Have a Grand Strategy?
- How Health Care Can Save or Sink America
- Charlie Crist Would Topple Rick Scott Next Florida Governor Race
- Big Media Suicide Compact
- Sarah Palin and the Media Bring Out the Worst in Each Other
- GOP's War on Workers' Rights Undermines the Economy
- Rejection of Reality Has Become Endemic to Politics
- Are the Republicans Going Soft on Taxes?
- Senators Urge IRS to Provide Taxpayers With Free Software
- AARP on Social Security: A Game-Changer for Entitlement Programs?
- Younger Women Desert Female Candidates
- Will Jon Huntsman Impact the 2012 Field?
- Will Jon Huntsman's Foreign Policy Experience Even Matter for 2012?
- Should Rick Perry Run for the 2012 GOP Nomination?
- Why Anthony Weiner Had to Resign
- Anthony Weiner: Normalizing Deviance
- Anthony Weiner: The Shameless Society
- 8 Politicians Who Survived Scandals
- Momentum Grows for Payroll Tax Cut
- America's Fading Exceptionalism
- When It Comes to Sleaze Men Rule
- President Obama: Our Reactionary President
- Latest On Obama's War Powers Act Workaround
- New GOP Majority Is Trying to Cut Spending, But Not By Enough
- 'Utterly Insane' Health Care Insurance Situation
- Odds Just 1 in 3 on Deal to Raise Debt Ceiling
- An Unrevealing Debate
- The Gingrich Implosion
- GOP Activists Hope for Surprise 2012 Candidate
- Michele Bachmann: The Smart Version of Sarah Palin
- Media Hit Bottom With Sarah Palin Emails
- Hispanics Key to Victory in 2012 Presidential Race
- Anthony Weiner Not the Only 'Flash' Photographer, Sadly
- The President Shouldn't Go Over to the Supply Side
- The Afghan Money Pit
- United States and Pakistan: Afghan Strategies
- Predator Syndrome
- Anti Voter Fraud Reforms Are Practical Not Partisan
- With Rick Santorum Religious Conservatives May Have a 2012 Candidate
- The Truth Is the GOP Has 2012 Trouble
- Obama 2012: Custom-Tailored History
- Robert Gates Departure Could Bring Makeover for Obama on National Security
- Washington Plays Chicken With the Market
- GOP Pushes Balanced Budget Amendment
- For Many Republicans Afghanistan Is A Budget Issue
- Will Mitt Romney Be Able to Dodge Healthcare Flip-Flopper Label?
- Mitt Romney's Second Try
- Is Sarah Palin Wrong to Stand by her Paul Revere Statements?
- On History Sarah Palin is Just Like a Lot of Us
- Little Evidence Weiner Broke Law in Twitter Photo Scandal
- Anthony Weiner: Sex Scandal Sans Sex
- Anthony Weiner: Here's the Lowdown on 'Weinergate'
- Anthony Weiner: A Time For Sadness
- Breaking Down the Debt-Ceiling Debate
- Congress' Bipartisan Vice Is Cowardice
- 40 Years Later: America's Failed War on Drugs
- Something We Can Say With Certitude: The Economy Stinks!
- Solution to US Budget Woes Lies in Ending Its Many Wars
- Tea Party Fear: Has Washington Co-Opted New House Members?
- Obamacare Scare Fizzles
- 5 Reasons Sarah Palin Will Get the 2012 GOP Nod and 5 Reasons She Won't
- Latest GOP Sideshow
- Citizen Cain Rhymes With 'Pain'
- Florida GOP Won't Let Democracy Get Out of Hand
- 8 Easy Ways to Cut Government Spending
- Balanced Budget Movement Grows In House
- Senators Propose Closing State Offices to Save on Budget
- The Factory of Selective Moral Outrage
- Republicans and Democrats No Closer to Compromising on Jobs Plan
- Why Republican Medicare Strategy Just Might Work in Long Run
- Beware the Military-Industrial-Congressional Complex
- Obama's Bad Policy and Harmful Regulations Add to Gas Prices
- Congress Wants More Clarity on Obama's Libya Policy
- New DNC Boss Calls GOP 'Anti-Women'
- Obama Is Deceiving Hispanics on Immigration
- Obama and the Shifting Ground of Race
- Eliot Spitzer's 10 Rules To Fixing the Economy and Corporate Mismanagement
- A Bad Day That Never Changes
- Executive Pay Zooming Skyward Again
- On Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Shakespeare and the Enemy in the Mirror
- The Battle for the Soul of the GOP
- To Fix the Budget Deficit Raise Corporate Taxes
- The Case for and Against The TARP Bailout
- Obama's Secret Weapon for 2012 Re-Election Campaign: The Economy
- 10 Issues Driving Obama's 2012 Re-Election Campaign
- Koch Brothers War on America
- Ignorant Certainty
- Apocalypse, Oops! -- Lessons From a Failed Doom
- Giuliani Aiming to Take Down Romney in New Hampshire
- Tim Pawlenty Aims for the Straight Talk Mantel
- Newt Gingrich Will Star In Democrats' Anti-Ryan Medicare Attacks
- Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin Leading 2012 GOP Field
- GOP Horse With No Rider
- What Price Our Principles?
- Pentagon and Obama Bomb House Bid To Revive Jet Engine
- Congress's Deep Support for Israel May Not Lead to Action
- President Obama Counters Criticism on Middle East
- Obama Offers Little New In Middle East Speech
- The Latest Futility: New President, Same Middle East
- Elizabeth Warren to Obama: 'You Had Me at Predatory Lending'
- Guess Who's Running For President in 2012?
- Even Without Donald Trump, Plenty of Clowns in the 2012 GOP Field
- Who Benefits from Huckabee and Trump 2012 Announcements
- Bin Laden Killing Is Obama's Defining Moment
- Herb Kohl Retirement Adds to Democrats 2012 Senate Woes
- Government Hits Debt Ceiling as Parties Squabble
- Boehner's Debt Ceiling Speech Shows Problems of Obamanomics
- Four Roadblocks to Obama's Immigration Reform
- Alligators, Moats and Other Such Nonsense
- Obama Talks Nice About Immigration Reform But What Is He Willing to Do?
- Mitt Romney: Like Father, Like Son
- Why Newt Gingrich Will be the 2012 GOP Nominee for President
- The GOP Field for 2012: Who's on First?
- Republicans Vs. Invisibility
- A Sharper GOP Field for 2012
- GOP Warns Of Back Door Mileage Tax
- Big Oil Tax Break Vote Could Hurt Vulnerable Republicans
- Why Congress Cannot Fix Your Gas Prices Pain
- Why Washington Should Pay Attention to the Economy Here and Now
- On Gas Prices Obama Should Lead or Get Out of the Way
- Putting $4 Gas In Perspective
- 7 Ways the United States Population is Changing
- Dear Class of 2011: Good Luck You're Really Going to Need It
- Big Oil's Money Gusher
- Lawmakers Tell Obama to End Afghanistan War
- Osama bin Laden Is Dead: Does Obama or Bush Deserve the Credit?
- What did Killing Osama bin Laden Actually Accomplish?
- Toning Down the Celebrating
- Why the Hurry to Gloat About Bin Laden?
- Wall Street Lobbyists Trying to Sway Tea Party
- Killed by Tea Party GOP, Second F-35 Engine Revived
- Trotting Out the GOP Candidates
- Bad GOP Timing
- Recall Elections Enhance Democracy
- Recall Elections Waste Public Funds and Cause Chaos
- A Memorial Day to Remember
Available at Amazon.com:
'Mortal Kombat' and the First Amendment | Politics
(c) 2011 Tribune Media Services, Inc