TPP Shocking Schumer
by Jim Hightower
New York Senator Chuck Schumer fears that the Trans-Pacific Partnership would let corporations roll back laws at every level of government.
Senator Chuck Schumer, a leader of the corporate wing of congressional Democrats and heir apparent to outgoing Minority Leader Harry Reid, never met a global trade deal too ugly to hug.
So when he says, “This is really troubling,” you know his eyes have been singed by something truly hideous.
That “something” is the trade and investment scam called the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
The TPP only masquerades as a trade deal. It’s actually a gross enlargement of multinational corporate power over our people’s sovereignty.
Specifically, a leaked chapter of this secretly negotiated, 12-nation deal empowers foreign corporations to challenge America’s laws, rules, and court rulings -- whether local, state, or national -- by suing our governments in private, corporate-run tribunals set up by the United Nations or the World Bank.
That’s what made Chuck Schumer nearly upchuck.
“Savvy, deep-pocketed foreign conglomerates,” he gasped, “could challenge a broad range of laws we pass at every level of government, such as made-in-America laws or anti-tobacco laws.”
Moreover, global corporate giants from Japan, Australia, Mexico, or other nations in the TPP could sue us not just for any actual harm they claim to suffer because of, say, our clean water laws, but for undermining their “investment-backed expectations.”
Translated from corporate-speak, that means a foreign conglomerate could haul our clean water regulations before a tribunal just by claiming that the rules undermine profits.
The corporate and governmental elites who want to keep this raw deal a secret knew that its uglies would gag you, me, and even Schumer. So they added an extra layer of secrecy, mandating that the sovereignty-busting chapter not be declassified until four years after the TPP is approved.
To help stop this sham in its tracks, join the grassroots coalition fighting it. Go to www.StopTPP.org.
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Your Guide to the 2016 GOP Candidates
- The Case for a Robot-in-Chief
- What's the Matter with Saying 'Middle Class'?
- Odd Bedfellows for Liberty
- Rand Paul's Foreign-Policy Flip-Flop Not Likely to Win Him Many Friends
- The TPP Gang That Can't Shoot Straight
- TPP Shocking Schumer
- The War on Love
- The GOP Bucks Teddy Roosevelt's Legacy
- Of Course Jeb Bush Would Have Invaded Iraq
- 2016: Send in the Clowns
- An Open Letter to Obama: If You Want Money for the Climate, Tax Wall Street
- Obama's Triple Crown
- The 47 Republican Samurai
- From Hubris to Humiliation: the Republicans' Letter to Iran
- The High Cost of Low Taxes
- The Politics of Hillary's Email Problem
- Kissing the Koch Ring
- This Trade Deal Will Make You Sick
- The Nincompoop Caucus Sets a Record
- Giuliani: Nutball or Sleazeball?
- Obama's Last National Security Strategy
- Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent'
- When Bibi Came to Town
- 10 Reasons I'm Praying for AIPAC's Decline
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
Article: Distributed via OtherWords.org.
"TPP Shocking Schumer"