The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol
Living in the intergalactic capital of
Normally this is unpleasant news for the doctor, and so it is for
But it's even worse news for Sen.
Originally, the story broke as a potential sex scandal when a conservative website reported that the FBI was investigating reports that Menendez consorted with underage prostitutes while hanging out with Dr. Melgen in the
The doctor and the senator deny it, but at this point gabby hookers would be the least of their worries. That FBI raid on Melgen's
According to the
For example, auditors found that Melgen was billing
The doctor's attorneys said he was using the same vial to treat more than one patient; therefore, multiplying the charges was proper. That explanation might have made sense to, say, a kindergarten class, but the auditors didn't go for it.
Melgen was ordered to repay
Not many ophthalmologists can write a check that large, but not many ophthalmologists have their own jet, either.
Now Melgen is appealing the case and wants that money back. Twice during his tribulations, Sen. Menendez has reached out on his friend's behalf to key federal officials.
Initially, Menendez complained that the
The senator's office told the Post that Menendez didn't do anything wrong, and was unaware that his buddy was the subject of an active fraud investigation until the FBI raid in January.
Likewise, the senator has said there was nothing improper about his urging U.S. officials to pressure the
ICSSI has a security contract to X-ray cargo at seaports in the
Let's try to see the situation through the senator's eyes.
OK, Dr. Melgen is a longtime golfing pal and a steadfast political supporter.
For years you've thought, wow, he must be a pretty fantastic doctor to live this lifestyle. The average mid-career ophthalmologist earns about
So, when does that little light bulb go on in your brainpan that says maybe it's time to back off the friendship? Perhaps back in 2008, when Dr. Melgen was ordered to repay that
That's epic overbilling. But instead of quietly easing away from Melgen, Sen. Menendez started rattling cages, trying to help the doctor get the money back.
It was during that period when the senator twice rode on Melgen's jet down to Melgen's oceanfront villa at
Perhaps he was blinded by friendship. Or perhaps he was thinking about what the doctor would do for him in the 2012 election.
And Melgen came through big-time. One of his companies donated
Can your eye doctor afford to do that for a U.S. senator? If so, he or she will have an important friend for life in
Menendez was recently named chairman of the
The two of them won't be flying off again together anytime soon.
Melgen hasn't been charged with any crimes, but it's never a happy time when the FBI is raking through your business records.
Meanwhile, Menendez says he's the victim of a smear campaign. He should get his vision checked, because it's not 20/20.
Read the latest political news.
- Gilded Class Warriors
- 'Assassination Memo' a First Step in Setting New Warfare Parameters
- The Double Threats
- Rush to the Defense? Not So Fast
- Why Annihilate the GOP?
- A New GOP, or Just A Cosmetic Touchup?
- Government Spending That Isn't Smart
- Obama's Second Coming
- Operation Hubris
- Can the GOP Escape Its Bubble
- Leave Liberal Hollywood to the Liberals
- Can GOP's Local Success Translate to Federal Level?
- United States Shouldn't Create Underclass of Immigrants
- Rubio vs an Invisible Obama
- Marco Rubio's Problem Wasn't the Water
- Rubio and the GOP's Thirst for Leadership
- The GOP's Civil War Stumbles On
- Two Cheers for Republican Rebranding
- Obama's Blunt Challenge to Congress
- Conservative Business Leaders Should Widen Their Scope
- Calling Out Bugnut Idiocy
- No Easy Answers for Gun Woes
- A Time to Resist
- Recycling Old and Failed Ideas
- Obama: An Energized Lame Duck
- Obama's Place in History Already Assured
- Obama's License to Kill by Drone
- Drone Double Standard
- Torture Helped Get bin Laden?
- Let Us Prey
- A Message to Obama, Served Cold
- Government Should Not Define 'Church'
- Where The Buck Still Stops
- Republicans Make Nice, But Are Their Hearts True?
- Incoherent Immigration Reform
- The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol
- 60 Minutes' Missed Opportunity
- Obama and Rubio: A Study in Contrasts
- State of the Union, At Home and Abroad
- The Minimum Wage and The Meaning of a Decent Society
- The Hoax of Austerity Economics
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- Pentagon Keyboard Jockeys Can Now Out-Decorate Combat Heroes
- One Day The World Will Thank Bush For Shaking Up The Arab Region
- Has Obama Kept His Open-Government Pledge?
- State of the Union Allows Presidents to Outline Agenda
- State of the Union Address Likely to Focus on Domestic Issues
- Obama Again Offers to Negotiate Big Deficit Deal
- Immigration Reform Plan is a Farce
- The GOP Crack-up and Obama's Unraveling of the Republican Coalition
- GOP: Rest in Peace?
- A Time to Build
- Obama's Challenge
- Obama's Debt-Ceiling Strategy Could Put The Squeeze on GOP
- Obama's Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Why I'm Singing the Inauguration Blues
- Obama's Inaugural Address Not Progressive Enough
- Taking Joe Biden Seriously
The Eye Doctor and the 'I' Pol | Politics
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc