The New Sophists
Victor Davis Hanson
We are living in a new age of sophism -- but without a modern equivalent of Socrates to remind the public just how silly our highly credentialed and privileged new rhetoricians can often sound.
In response to these unexpected symptoms of blizzards and deluges, climate physicians offer changing diagnoses. "Global change" has superseded "global warming." After these radically cold winters, the next replacement appears to be "climate chaos." Yet if next December is neither too hot nor too cold, expect to hear about the doldrum dangers of "climate calm."
In 2009, brilliant economists in the Obama administration --
There is also a new generation of young, sophistic bloggers who offer their wisdom from the
One constant here is equating wisdom with a certificate of graduation from a prestigious school. If, in the fashion of the sophist Protagoras, one writes that record cold proves record heat, or that record borrowing and printing money will create jobs and sustained economic growth, or that a 223-year-old Constitution is 100 years old and largely irrelevant, then credibility can be claimed only in the title or the credentials -- but not the logic -- of the writer.
America is huge and diverse, but the world of our credentialed experts is quite small, warped and monotonous -- circumscribed largely by the prestigious university and an office in the incestuous
In classical sophistic fashion, rhetoric is never far from personal profit. Multimillionaire Al Gore convinced the governments of the Western world that they were facing a global-warming Armageddon, then hired out his services to address the hysteria that he helped create.
How many climate Cassandras have well-funded research positions predicated on grants and subsidies that depend on convincing the pubic and government of impending disasters that they then can be hired to monitor and address? Are there no green antitrust laws? In contrast, how many of our climate theorists run irrigated farms and energy-intensive businesses at the mercy of new regulations that emanate from distant theorizing?
The public might have better believed the deficit nostrums of former budget director Peter Orzag had he not retired after less than two years on the job to position himself for a multimillion-dollar billet at
Are we to wonder why an angry, grassroots
Read the latest political news.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Eisenhower's 'Military-Industrial Complex' and JFK's Inaugural
- Republicans Break Their Promises On Day One
- Speaker Boehner: Will He (Republican) Party Like It's 1995?
- Dysfunctional Duo's undoing
- The Tab Comes Due in 2011
- Incoming Republican Leadership Reeks of Corporate Control
- For the 112th Time: New Congress, Same Challenges
- Obama and Human Rights: Continuity and Change
- Despite Critics, Palin's Buzz Is Positive
- Moment of Silence Needs to Be Followed by More Than Just Lowered Voices
- Tests of a New Political Tone
- At Time of Healing, Sarah Palin Throws Gas on Flames
- The Liberal Empire Strikes Back
- The New Sophists
- Fishing for Democratic Corruption
- The Shameful Attack on Public Employees
- The Stealth Attack on American Education
- Obama Faces the Same Problems in 2011
- GOP's John Boehner Gets House Speaker's Gavel
- Good Teen Pals = Good Politics?
- Boehner, Pelosi, Haley, Ryan and Others to Watch in 2011
- New Era of Bipartisanship in 2011? No Chance
- Congress to Tackle Healthcare and Filibuster Rules
- Democrats Push for Filibuster Rule Change
- Republicans Charge Harry Reid Power Grab on Filibuster
- Lame Duck Session Was Successful For The President's Party
- Constitutionalists vs. 'Interpretationists'
- 2010 Midterm Elections Set Campaign Spending Records
- Biden Hints at Obama Reelection Themes
- Obama's Toughest Year Ahead?
- How Obama Is Failing at the Dramatic Side of the Presidency
- The Founding Fathers: Religion and God
- Ham-and-Egg Justice
- Obama's Hawaii Vacation Is Revealing
- Like Sarah Palin Early Feminists Were Pro-Life
- They're Back! The Return of the Death Panels
- Don't Reignite 'Death Panel' Insanity
- Sarah Palin: She Told Us So
- Why the Rich Are Getting Richer
- A Far From Happy New Year
- The American 21st Century
- Defense Is On The Table
- A Leaner and Meaner Defense
- The Political Power of Social Media
- The Good News About Gas
- Post-Census Party-Pooping
- The Would-be GOP Kings
- Generation Next
- Every Man a King
- Believe in Violence and Be Saved
- Inside the Tea Party Revolution
- John Boehner, Sarah Palin and When Crying Is OK in Politics
- Obama and Clinton Share Personality Traits
- Grand Compromise Brings More Spending
- Barack Obama: The New Comeback Kid
- Swimming in Blessings; Drowning in Complaints
- Time for the 2010 Freeby Awards
- A Reliable Prediction
- The Year Washington Became 'Business-Friendly'
- South American Diary
- Obama's Pending Assignment: Reconnecting With Hispanics and Latin America
- Our Government has Become Greedy
- When Will Obama Go 'Gangster'
- Transcending Progressive Discord
- John Boehner's Curious Tears
- A Tractable and Pragmatic President
- The President's Tax Deal Is Just More Trickle-Down Economics
- President Obama: A Decent Deal, a Weak Sales Job
- Questions for Democrats
- The American Jobs Emergency Requires Action
- Why Not Soak the Rich?
- President Obama Takes on the Liberal Democrats
- President Obama's Surrender
- Reigniting the Spirit of 2008
- Learning the Constitution Is Essential for Americans
- Obama-Clinton's Tag Team Show
- Behind Bill Clinton's Smile
- Obama Tax Deal Debate Is a Classic Beltway Christmas Story
- Voters Say Obama Has No Clear Narrative
- When Words Fail
- 10 Senate Democrats Targeted for Defeat in 2012
- Senators Amass Campaign War Chests Ahead of 2012
- Redefining the Global Warming Debate
- The Need to Protect Our Aging Workforce
- First They Came for My Twinkie ...
- More Nixon Wisdom
- Politics Without Labels? What a Silly Concept
- No Backslide for House Ethics
- Obamacare in Critical Condition
- The Death of Health Care Reform
- Sarah Palin's Economy
- In a Giving Mood But Only Toward Rich
- Congress Must Help Struggling Families Not Millionaires
The New Sophists | Politics
(c) 2011 Tribune Media Services, Inc.