The Nincompoop Caucus Sets a Record
by Jim Hightower
House Republicans have voted over 50 times to strip away Americans' health care.
The GOP-led House of Representatives has already achieved a historic legislative record.
A record in futility, that is. And absurdity.
In February, for the 56th time, they focused the entire array of brain cells in their 245-member caucus on an effort that would directly harm millions of Americans -- namely the repeal of the Affordable Care Act.
Yes, the Nincompoop Caucus has now wasted Congress’ time and credibility by voting not once, not 10 or 20 times, but 56 times to take away even the minimal level of health coverage for previously uninsured people.
But wait... it’s possible that I misstated that number.
It seems that House Speaker John Boehner’s team has lost track of how deeply they’ve disappeared into the woods of right-wing fantasyland. Some counts put the number of wild potshots lawmakers have taken at the program as high as 67.
Meanwhile, the so-called “Obamacare” program that the Boehner Bunch is working so feverishly to kill turns out to be working better than anyone -- even its proponents, who once included Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich -- thought it would.
And, to the tooth-grinding dismay of the kill-Obamacare crowd, Americans like it.
Naysaying Congress critters scoffed from the start that no one would buy into the program. But on the deadline day for this year’s sign-up -- which came only two weeks after the House’s 67th vote for repeal -- a record number of people joined.
That means nearly 11.5 million Americans who had no coverage before the Affordable Care Act now do.
Did I mention that the lawmakers trying so furiously to eliminate coverage for those people enjoy government-paid coverage for themselves?
Available at Amazon.com:
More AMERICAN POLITICS ...
- Your Guide to the 2016 GOP Candidates
- The Case for a Robot-in-Chief
- What's the Matter with Saying 'Middle Class'?
- Odd Bedfellows for Liberty
- Rand Paul's Foreign-Policy Flip-Flop Not Likely to Win Him Many Friends
- The TPP Gang That Can't Shoot Straight
- TPP Shocking Schumer
- The War on Love
- The GOP Bucks Teddy Roosevelt's Legacy
- Of Course Jeb Bush Would Have Invaded Iraq
- 2016: Send in the Clowns
- An Open Letter to Obama: If You Want Money for the Climate, Tax Wall Street
- Obama's Triple Crown
- The 47 Republican Samurai
- From Hubris to Humiliation: the Republicans' Letter to Iran
- The High Cost of Low Taxes
- The Politics of Hillary's Email Problem
- Kissing the Koch Ring
- This Trade Deal Will Make You Sick
- The Nincompoop Caucus Sets a Record
- Giuliani: Nutball or Sleazeball?
- Obama's Last National Security Strategy
- Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent'
- When Bibi Came to Town
- 10 Reasons I'm Praying for AIPAC's Decline
- Bashing Obama to Make Way for Hillary
- The Six Principles of the New Populism
- Bergdahl Swap A Retro Moment in the New Cold War
- Bowe Bergdahl and Negotiating with Terrorists
- Advice for Presidential GOP Candidates: Do Your Homework
- Obama Defends Tenacious Foreign Policy Moderation
- On Presidential Firings
- 'Obama: Like a Boss' -- Bumper Sticker for a True Chicagoan
- Enough Slaughter
- In Hyperpartisan America, There's No Room for Compassion
- Whatever Happened to Free-Speech Panic?
- Democrats Struggle to Get Voters Interested in Midterm Elections
- Karl Rove Stirs the Pot with Hillary Clinton Inuendo
- Karl Rove's Boneheaded Swipe at Hillary Clinton
- Hillary's Dilemma: How to Distance Herself from Obama
- Why Jeb Bush's Turn May Not Come
- Criminal Wrongdoing and the CIA
- Politics Have Trumped Ethics in the Obama Administration
- VA Scandal Offers Obama's Critics Yet More Ammunition
- Scapegoats Won't Cure VA's Ills
- The VA, the NHS and Choice
- Reading the Republican Primary Leaves
Article: Courtesy of OtherWords
"The Nincompoop Caucus Sets a Record"