Throwing Rice: A GOP In-Crowd
Do race and gender bias fuel the raging
As President Obama's potential nominee comes under increasing fire, despite a glaring emptiness to the arguments against her, Senate Republicans have taken a conspicuous liking to another name on the president's shortlist, Sen.
In that world, Rep.
After all, she noted, "
Some of us still remember, for example, the scary warnings by then-National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, no relation to Susan, on a Sunday talk show in
That chilling news turned to be bogus after it had spurred us into a questionable war. Yet it did not stop Rice's rise to become secretary of state.
Now two Republican senators who vigorously defended
On Sunday talk shows after the
She also said "extremist elements" then joined the attack, although she did not directly mention terrorism or a suspected al-Qaida affiliate. For that omission, she has been accused of maybe, just maybe, shading the truth to help President Obama's re-election, although that notion is supported by far more suspicions than actual evidence.
Which only makes the language get more heated. At one low point Sen. McCain called the Rhodes Scholar and seasoned diplomat "troubling" and "not very smart." He later softened his tone. Maybe somebody reminded him that, as the 2008
More important: Why was security in Benghazi so lax despite repeated requests for beefed-up protection? Why were American rescue troops stationed so far away? None of these critical issues were the responsibility of the UN ambassador. Yet,
Read the latest political news.
- Snake-Oil Deficit Savings
- The Fiscal Hoax
- Fiscal Cliff 'Grand Bargain' May Be Anything But
- Dodging the Fiscal Swindle
- Brain-lock Inside the Beltway
- Obama's Own Cliff
- 'Fiscal Cliff' Obscures Lack of Shared Sacrifice
- The Fiscal Cliff: False Fears and Horrors
- Taxpayers, Revolt!
- Republicans: The Party of No
- For Pete's Sake, What's Happened to Our Democracy?
- Let Obama be Obama
- Ascendant Hillary Clinton
- Right, Left Get Along -- Outside Washington
- If, At First, You Don't Secede...
- Republican Problems are About More than Just Packaging
- Marco Rubio: A Hispanic Reagan?
- Obama Needs a Family Plan
- An Unsightly Scrap Over Cabinet Nomination
- Throwing Rice: A GOP In-Crowd
- The Decline of Moderate Republicanism
- To Appeal to Black Voters, GOP Must Run Gauntlet of Racism Accusations
- BP is Not a Criminal
- When the Curtain Rises
- Mitt Romney's Own Gift
- The 'Land of Opportunity' is Becoming Hollywood Fiction
- Corporate Bosses Gone Berserk
- The Trojan Horse in the Debt Debate
- The Real Problem with Military Spending
- Without Unity, We'll Tumble Over the Fiscal Cliff
- The Classy Election of 2012
- Karl Rove: The Biggest Loser in Politics
- Will the Supreme Court Dismantle the Voting Rights Act?
- The Pollution of Political Discourse
Throwing Rice: A GOP In-Crowd | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc