The scare quotes are necessary because I don't think the
But that hasn't stopped a lot of people from slandering Republicans as racist for one reason or another.
Right now, many in
And, because Rice is a black woman, well, blah, blah, blah Racism! Sexism!
Never mind that Republicans haven't had a white secretary of state since
Also, never mind that Rice's handling of Benghazi -- and several other matters -- can quite defensibly be dubbed incompetent.
But that doesn't stop Democrats or liberal pundits from crying racism.
Just consider some recent examples from over the summer. When
Now, the cynical motivations behind this relentless drone of slander and stupidity are too numerous to count. Such moral bullying makes white liberals feel better about themselves. It scares moderates and centrists away from the
It's worth pointing out that such slander isn't used to get blacks to vote Democratic in the first place. They already do that.
But can you imagine how much worse it will get if Republicans actually do reach out to black community (as they should)?
One of the points of racial slander is to signal that only liberal policies are guaranteed to be non-racist (even when such policies were forged with racist intent, like the Davis-Bacon Act). This is why the Congressional Black Caucus insists on calling itself the "conscience of the
That's why policies like school choice are routinely denounced as racist, even though they are largely aimed at improving the lives of inner-city blacks trapped in bad schools. Teachers unions don't like school choice, ergo it's racist.
Any serious attempt by the
When Romney, whose father marched with
Just imagine the desperate, pathetic attacks in store for a more effective Republican.
Read the latest political news.
- Snake-Oil Deficit Savings
- The Fiscal Hoax
- Fiscal Cliff 'Grand Bargain' May Be Anything But
- Dodging the Fiscal Swindle
- Brain-lock Inside the Beltway
- Obama's Own Cliff
- 'Fiscal Cliff' Obscures Lack of Shared Sacrifice
- The Fiscal Cliff: False Fears and Horrors
- Taxpayers, Revolt!
- Republicans: The Party of No
- For Pete's Sake, What's Happened to Our Democracy?
- Let Obama be Obama
- Ascendant Hillary Clinton
- Right, Left Get Along -- Outside Washington
- If, At First, You Don't Secede...
- Republican Problems are About More than Just Packaging
- Marco Rubio: A Hispanic Reagan?
- Obama Needs a Family Plan
- An Unsightly Scrap Over Cabinet Nomination
- Throwing Rice: A GOP In-Crowd
- The Decline of Moderate Republicanism
- To Appeal to Black Voters, GOP Must Run Gauntlet of Racism Accusations
- BP is Not a Criminal
- When the Curtain Rises
- Mitt Romney's Own Gift
- The 'Land of Opportunity' is Becoming Hollywood Fiction
- Corporate Bosses Gone Berserk
- The Trojan Horse in the Debt Debate
- The Real Problem with Military Spending
- Without Unity, We'll Tumble Over the Fiscal Cliff
- The Classy Election of 2012
- Karl Rove: The Biggest Loser in Politics
- Will the Supreme Court Dismantle the Voting Rights Act?
- The Pollution of Political Discourse
To Appeal to Black Voters, GOP Must Run Gauntlet of Racism Accusations | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc